It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian judge rules SSRI antidepressants like Prozac can cause children to commit murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The use of antidepressant and psychiatric drugs, particularly among children, is an extremely risky activity that could have fatal consequences for both the individuals that use them, as well as their friends and family. According to the National Post, a Canadian judge recently ruled that the extreme mind-altering effects of the antidepressant drug Prozac were in large part responsible for causing a 15-year-old boy to thrust a nine-inch kitchen knife into one of his closest friends.

What the judge appears to be implying here is that Prozac is directly responsible for altering the brain of a user and causing them to think irrationally, which in turn can cause them to harm themselves or others. In other words, if it were not for the use of this mind-warping drug, the murderer in this case most likely would never have dreamed of slaughtering one of his best friends.

This bums me out. People that need mental help taking a drug to do just that and having their lives ruined because of drastic personality change. I know these drugs help many people but I feel there needs to be more of a safety net when starting to use them. Perhaps going back to the Dr. weekly to make sure personality changes aren't happening (for the worse).

Link

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The drugs can drive people to commit murder, some more than others, but it's a dangerous game and it turns people into monsters. I have seen it first hand.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me. One of the listed side effects is suicide. I don't whether to laugh or cry at that; that one of the side effects of anti-depressant medicine is suicide.

What is murder but turning that inward suicide force outward?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I remember how crazy I acted during the time I was on prozac.
Crazy, no joke.

I was 12 and on it for a few years and it caused major behaviors
constantly in a state of confusion and angry, wasn't depressed,
just randomly in and out, here in there. I'm sad to hear about the
death of his friend, but sometimes you shouldn't chemically mess
with the brain of an individual.

I have yet to personally hear from anyone I have met or known
that has benefitted from prozac, this is only from my
experiences. Good for that Judge, am glad to hear somebody is
doing something about this monstrosity.

"Prozac, Balancing your emotions so you don't have to." Side effects may cause loose bowel movement
migraines, dizziness, fatigue, unsettling thoughts, nausea, drowsiness, dryness
of the mouth, suicidal thoughts, heart complications....

FDA approved no need to consult your doctor, just listen and obey your
local psychiatrists.

Sound good to you?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well, i never went as far as killing someone. But while in my prozac days i did become overly agitated at things that normally I'd brush off. As for long lasting effects? Nothing I can note other than nervous system shakes. Sever shakes occur in even the most minute temperature change. Other than that, was a waste of time, money and mental capacity.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I've heard some people say Prozac was the best thing they ever did for themselves, and others that it was a horrible experience. I appreciate you guys sharing stories.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think a big problem is that many doctors are too quick to prescribe something. And a lot of the doctors don't have the time to follow up weekly.

Where I live there are only 2 doctors in the entire county that can prescribe psych meds for people under 18. I think that there is a problem. If there were more than 2 doctors than the doctors may be able to spend more time with patients and have follow up appointments that are closer together.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Check out this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Look like somebody is pissss-off

There is a development in the story.

Orlando Fire Department tell News 13 it is a 16-foot white trailer with red lettering. It's in front of the Orlando Sentinel property, with flattened tires and no tags.

There is writing on both sides of the trailer with anti-government messages. Also written on it: "open at your own risk."

Underneath the trailer is a black box with wires attached.

Camden Apartments in the area has been evacuated while the bomb squad investigates. Orlando Sentinel employees have been told to move to the east side of their building.

www.cfnews13.com...
edit on 18-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

signature:

Originally posted by dontreally

edit on 18-12-2011 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

You also want to check out this thread
Parents told to medicate kids with ADHD
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-12-2011 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'm not sure what to think about this as the judge seems to be making a personal judgement on how prozac affected this boy.

Doctors aren't even sure what the heck this stuff does as it affects different people in many different ways.

So if Dr.'s aren't so sure, how can the judge be?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well this is new, it seem's every day someone with no medical or pharmacological training invents a new "problem" Can SSRI's affect behavior? Well yeah, I mean to a point. Most of the time they just put you to sleep. They are hands down the best, and safest so called "sleeping pills" you can get. I personally know many doctors who prescribe them for just that reason. As long as your given a small dose, and don't gobble down the whole bottle at once your in pretty good shape. And if your depressed it might just help you there as well. But this drug "forcing" someone to commit murder? Christ, give me a break, thats just ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Another thing to add:

So with all the symptoms and the Semi-applipcable side affects, I see that if prozac affects a certain % of people that may make them anti-social, then does their doctor or phycologist prescribe them a anti-social pill for a client to counter act the prozac's negative side affect?

The problem I see with doctors giving out all these pills is the combination of medications for the "cancelations" of each other's medications affects. When someone is taking 20+ pills of anti's, pains, or mentals, and such, etc...

Can anyone one regular, average Doc know what's really going on with the crazy amount of mixture and concoction and reactions to a high amount of pill taking? The idea makes my head spin.

Just a thought
edit on 18-12-2011 by AK907ICECOLD because: pronunciation

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by supine
reply to post by Domo1

I'm not sure what to think about this as the judge seems to be making a personal judgement on how prozac affected this boy.

Doctors aren't even sure what the heck this stuff does as it affects different people in many different ways.

So if Dr.'s aren't so sure, how can the judge be?

Got it in one. If doctors 'aren't even sure what the heck this stuff does' what the hell are they doing prescribing it to children (or adults for that matter)? It's not strictly true tho' - the negative side effects are well documented. However - these drugs were never tested on children - that's illegal. The general populace aren't supposed to act as lab rats - these 'medicines' are supposed to be safe - beneficial in fact.

You do not prescribe potentially fatal medications for non-lethal conditions. That is just bad medicine.

You can bet your bottom dollar that judge had a plethora of expert opinions to assist him when producing his opinion. He didn't simply 'decide' - that's not how judges operate.
edit on 20-12-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)
edit on 20-12-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

You can bet your bottom dollar that judge had a plethora of expert opinions to assist him when producing his opinion. He didn't simply 'decide' - that's not how judges operate.

Very true. He was probably well informed by the end.

new topics

top topics

join