It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious "white web" found growing on nuclear waste

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Life always finds a way, doesn't it? Are we seeing the first vestiges of a new life form, or the reemergence of an old one, I wonder. How will it exist in the outer atmosphere, or in water without radioactive substance? So many questions, it will be fun to watch what becomes of this.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by usnkriete
Hope we can find one big enough to bite me and then I could be mutate and get cool spiderman powers.

I am sure I can find you a radioactive brown recluse out here at the Nevada Test site... shall I ship one to you?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

This one is in breaking news so they will allow two threads
Be nice to see some pictures of this stuff.

Having said that, we're still not clear on how much, if any, radiation this growth has actually been exposed to. Organisms with a natural resistance to radiation are said to be "radioresistant," and certainly do exist; Deinococcus radiodurans, for example (pictured here) is not only one of the most naturally radioresistant organisms on Earth, we've actually genetically engineered Deinococcus that can be used in the treatment of radioactive waste.

This part is interesting. Apparently there are OTHER known extremophiles that feed off radiation...
edit on 17-12-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Although it is a film I have watched a few times, im sure im not getting the idea from that. it was definitely a doc on evolution, and had a female presenter if I remember. And she definitely wasnt gathering masses of worms in the rain with some electrodes

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

"Ionizing Radiation: how fungi cope, adapt, and exploit with the help of melanin"

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Curr Opin Microbiol. 2008 December; 11(6): 525–531. Published online 2008 October 24.

Among the environments with high radiation resulting from human activities - two examples stand out. First, melanized fungal species colonize the walls of the damaged reactor at Chernobyl where they are exposed to a high constant radiation field (12). Second, melanized fungal species are found in the so-called reactor cooling pool water. This water circulates through the nuclear reactor core for cooling purposes and is extremely radioactive. These pools comprise large amounts of fungi, cocci, Gram-positive rods, and some Gram-negative rods. Analysis of this reactor water microflora has led to the suggestion that high fluxes of radiation select for highly radioresistant types of microorganisms, which manifest increases in catalase and nuclease activities (13).

Interesting. My first guess was bacteria or fungi. I don't think it's anything too unusual though

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I hope the mainstream media picks up on that information about the fungi and the work of Paul Stamets. Many of the solutions for the world's problems are available - but they are still on the periphery or the fringes of society. Not yet acknowledged and taught in The Academy. This is why many of us call for a new paradigm.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSleepCreep

I'm sure there is... I'm sure:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Unless small pets start disappearing, it starts growling and throwing things around I wouldn't worry. At least, that is how I decide when it is time to clean out the refrigerator.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by corsair00
Mushroom mycelium looks exactly like a white web. Mycelium grows like a network of a fine, white thread throughout nature and feeds off of dying or dead organic material.

That is quite the observation.

Through my years of inner space exploration, involving mushrooms, associates of mine have come up with some interesting theories and stories about what mushrooms really are.

Mushrooms are not plants as most people tend to believe. They are their own lifeform that is found all over the world. It feeds off of death and waste in virtually any environment. On top of this, the resulting mushroom is connected with the entire mushroom network. It's hard to explain without some mod deleting my post for apparently violating the T&C, but mushrooms are like a "net" of experienced information gathering devices. This is why I am impressed with your statement.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Paul Stamets:

Fungi are the grand molecular disassemblers of nature. They are the interface organisms between life and death. They generate soil. The entire food web of nature is based on these fungal filaments. The mycelial network that infuses all land masses in the world is a supportive membrane upon which life proliferates - and further diversifies. Mushrooms also have a very bizarre property of hyper-accumulating heavy metals. Forests are thousands of acres, and so fungi that produce mushrooms will be thousands of acres in size. This gives us a ready ability to tap into this powerful inherent resource that mushroom mycelium has to remediate environments: Prevent downstream pollution from microbes, viruses - including from bacteria, protozoa; also for breaking down a wide assortment of pollutants. This is one of the pedestals of mycorestoration - using mushroom mycelium in order to heal environments - because these are truly healing membranes.

edit on 20-12-2011 by corsair00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by corsair00

What a great connection you drew there

Although I don't know Stamets personally, I feel like I owe him alot.
His work had a major impact on me and has improved my life on many levels.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join