It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacked climate emails: police seize computers at West Yorkshire home.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I found this article in the Guardian part quote,

"Police officers investigating the theft of thousands of private emails between climate scientists from a University of East Anglia server in 2009 have seized computer equipment belonging to a web content editor based at the University of Leeds."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Rumour has it that it is related to more recent revelations known as Climategate2, and it follows on the heel of 'Tallblokes' posting on a climate sceptic blog at wordpress, more info here at WUWT?

wattsupwiththat.com...

I am looking for more information on the e-mails themselves, but does this seem like a crackdown on web publishing or perhaps indimidatory?
edit on 15-12-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Hopefully the police wont find anything. Personally I think the guy should be commended Nd given a job at scotland yard considering the police should have investigated the climategate scandal.

This guy did what is 100% right and should never be arrested, he should be commended. This IMO shows police corruption, I say this because they must have worked really hard to determine who did it. They should have refused to investigate IMO stating on the grounds of public well being.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
More information from stateside by the Examiner. It seems that this is a co-ordinated effort between the US and Britain,

Part quote,

"I have seen apparent proof that the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), Criminal Division, is working with United Kingdom police to pursue the leaker of the 2009 and 2011 “Climategate” emails."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: washingtonexaminer.com...

washingtonexaminer.com...

I see this as pretty threatening, in that it appears that second-hand reading/and/or commenting of the e-mails is enough to have the police at your door and the seizing of your computor, and possibly yourself. I wonder if this is included in martial law.

An overview and extracts from Climategate2 (2011) by The global warming policy foundation.

www.thegwpf.org...
edit on 15-12-2011 by smurfy because: Kink.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
reply to post by smurfy

Hopefully the police wont find anything. Personally I think the guy should be commended Nd given a job at scotland yard considering the police should have investigated the climategate scandal.

This guy did what is 100% right and should never be arrested, he should be commended. This IMO shows police corruption, I say this because they must have worked really hard to determine who did it. They should have refused to investigate IMO stating on the grounds of public well being.

I was writing as you posted. That's exactly my sentiment, why did they go after 'Tallbloke' and have they done, or about to do the same in the US, it is in effect, organised intimidation. The UK police have told 'Tallbloke' that he is not a suspect?? but they are copying his hard drives? is there something I am missing here.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

SHHHH!
Let the cops do their important job of protecting the truth from us slaves.
We do not want to know if AL Gore and his paid off scientists all over the world are distorting the truth for profit.
Its for our own good that we have clandestine operations to dull the suns rays.
Get with the game plan-Every time you exhale,you are poisoning the Earth.
I think we should be taxed for every exhalation.
It must be our fault,not our position in space,or the super massive heat generator known as the sun.

We are to blame with our pissy 1.4 litre cars-Its not the massive coal plants in Asia,or the planes,giant oil tankers or outdated coal power stations.
Its nothing to do with the fact other planets in our solar system are also undergoing climate change-Ignore that.
Believe Al Gore and his buddies.
They are only trying to make a fast 100billion or two off your suffering,its fine,we should all go back to sleep in front of the TV.
Everything is just peachy.

+++Warning your computer has just experienced a sarcasm overload+++Switch off your computer and completely disregard this post due to sarcasm+++

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

It's kind of difficult to know what's worse, the imposition of measures to to reverse AGW, which is being dubiously gerrymandered, or the intimidation of those who want to read about how it is being gerrymandered.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Global warming is a scam. Accept that, and you'll understand why "climate scientists" needed to break the law to ensure that the "global warming" theory was not challenged.
That a certain, unknown insider has leaked nothing but personal emails, many of them already under FOIA requests, as the material is public domain, since the climate scientists concerned were in the employ of the government at the time.
"tallbloke" was the first blogger to refer to the second release of emails, he did nothing wrong, he reported something online. They arrested him because they are stupid morons who have no better idea of what to do.

As to the insider, respect. The millions that have been wasted so far have only lined a few pockets, and been terribly expensive for the rest of us. That they are criminals and frauds is clear from their own correspondance, which they stupidly acknowledged as their own, leaving no room for doubting that they should all be hanged for treason against humanity.

Wattsupwiththat is the best science blog online.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If the world is warming up, and its a big if, looking at the weather news for the last six months, (north and south hemispheres) I don't think it is human caused, especially all the hoo-haa over carbon dioxide gas, which is less than one percent of the total atmosphere, 383 parts per million, last time I looked on Google, and I never get an answer as to how les than one percent can have so much effect on the other ninety nine percent.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Update on 'Tallbloke'

It seems like he has a determined solicitor, who has set up a fighting fund, and who sees the same dangers in the police action asI and many others do. Quote,

"It is possible that treatment of that nature could be meted out to any persons expressing sceptical views about the so called climate consensus."

This solicitor is cognizant of the content of the second batch of 2011 e-mails in some way or another, and seems to have formed an opinion on the behaviour of those scientists who are the subject of the 2011 e-mails.

Further reading, and contents of the solicitors letter at WUWT?

wattsupwiththat.com...

If you ask me, I'd say things are going to get very public and messy, especially with the last GW conference just over, and poorer countries at the table for hand-outs as a percieved result of AGW/climate change, (not that money isn't needed in those countries) just that there is now a big dilemma.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Another whistle blower bites the dust. Of course the US and the UK are in collusion. It is Al Gore and his Bilderburg cronies that have made this entire lie up in order to gain control and fleece the flock. There is no rule of law nor do courts acknowledge right and wrong anymore. It is all corruption, lies, and murdering thieves who claim ownership of this planet. How many more brave souls shall pay the price before the common people say enough. Every single person who lays down their freedom and spills their blood in an attempt correct the wrongs adds to the depth of sins laid at the feet of those who actively participate and those who lips stay silent. The difference between a Hero and a Coward is not the fear but the hero although afraid does what must be done anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by smurfy

Another whistle blower bites the dust. Of course the US and the UK are in collusion. It is Al Gore and his Bilderburg cronies that have made this entire lie up in order to gain control and fleece the flock. There is no rule of law nor do courts acknowledge right and wrong anymore. It is all corruption, lies, and murdering thieves who claim ownership of this planet. How many more brave souls shall pay the price before the common people say enough. Every single person who lays down their freedom and spills their blood in an attempt correct the wrongs adds to the depth of sins laid at the feet of those who actively participate and those who lips stay silent. The difference between a Hero and a Coward is not the fear but the hero although afraid does what must be done anyway.

That could in part be the problem, the law doesn't know how to deal with third party participants like 'Tallbloke' It doesn't know what to do with Assange either. Bradley Manning, is a different case though, being the whistleblower himself, and it has to be said that he gave himself away, although I do feel sorry that he will probably be treated as a full blown traitor regardless.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller

"tallbloke" was the first blogger to refer to the second release of emails, he did nothing wrong, he reported something online. They arrested him .....

As I read it he wasn't arrested - where did you read that he was??

They probably went after his computers because emails from various people will still have headers & tracking information in them, so they may find evidence relevant to the original case - and of course since he blogged about it they know he's got lots of emails & where to find them - whereas they don't know who else has so he's a fairly easy and obvios place to look.

Or something like that.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

That is true in part he was not arrested, but was questioned and some demand questions were asked, but refused. The Guardian link has also been updated. The police are on pretty ropey ground too, in their questioning, and in the fact that they took away a third party's property, (the computors) presumably on the grounds of the hacked e-mails (from a Russian server if I have got it right) As an aside, Essex University is supportive of the police action, and add that the E-mails are somehow, and once again, distorting the climate issues??

From the Guardian,

"A spokesman for the University of East Anglia said today: "We are pleased to hear that the police are continuing to actively pursue the case following the release last month of a second tranche of hacked emails from the Climatic Research Unit. We hope this will result in the arrest of those responsible for the theft of the emails and for distorting the debate on the globally important issue of climate change."

edit on 19-12-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Why wouldn't the university support the investigation? The hacked emails showed no false science or manipulation AFAIK, except for misquoting and out-of-context quoting by people who said that htere was such - which is probably a matter for another thread.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by smurfy

Why wouldn't the university support the investigation? The hacked emails showed no false science or manipulation AFAIK, except for misquoting and out-of-context quoting by people who said that htere was such - which is probably a matter for another thread.

I make a point of reading the Daily Express headlines every day, just for a titter, I don't buy it.

top topics

join