It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six NYU Suicides in One Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
What's going on at NYU?? This is the school voted #1 Dream School.

Photo Story.

Google Search Results

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

That seems an awful lot..
What's the population of the student body? And how do the numbers compare to national average?

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I've been to NYU and am currently going to uni in Manhattan, so I know a lot of NYU people. I can say this about them. They're not the same types of people they were 10 years ago. NYU has risen from a regional school to one everyone from around the US wants to go to. They even had to establish their own very extensive transportation system because parents were afraid of NYC's normal public transportation (which, believe it or not, is actually half-way decent)! A lot of these kids also are very artistic (read: emotional). NYU seems to attract those types, even in the non-arts faculties.

My guess it's a combination of the "typical" NYU students mentality, and the fact that many of them are coming to NYC from other locales and may not be prepared for the unique sort of isolation life in Manhattan offers.

As a side note, I attended another University in the UK where there was a bad suicide problem (approx 2-3 a year for undergrads). They brought in a special suicide-prevention team made up of active US Air Force psychologists. I have no idea exactly what group they were, but they were supposed to have an excellent track record (hence a UK Uni specially requesting their services).

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It's hard to generalize about these things and the incidents are beginning to get media attention, so we can expect to see some psychologists and hand-wringing journalists going on about it on the TV.

I think in this case, this one observation tells a lot:

Relatives described Leavy's mother, Pamela Campbell, as a driven taxlawyer who works long hours for the prestigious firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison. Her father is a musician and piano teacher. www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I mentioned in a previous post that it would be interesting to see if any of these students were in scientific fields of study....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, loam. I don't know what's going on and, in fact, they may all be unrelated. Koji points out that the school draws from a population known for tempermentality.

top topics

join