It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie executives see record profits, salaries despite piracy fear-mongering

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

They call it piracy because it is in fact stealing you are using an Intellectual property which you have no right to use without paying the rightful owner of that property. It does not matter how much money they are already making, it isn't yours to take. If you have an issue with how much the entertainment industry is making then quit buying and using their brand of entertainment.

You can make all the arguments you want, that it is art and should be done for art's sake all you want but you did not pay a dime to the production and or development of that product you are not entitled to use it. The only legitimate question surrounding piracy that is even remotely valid is concerning the change of media and product that was already purchased. It has been a long standing issue ever since technology evolved to the point recording and transfer equipment became available and affordable for home usage. Which is why we don't see many CD,DVD, Blu-Ray and media transfer recorders outside of what you can get for your PC.

You want to screw the media empires of the world? Buy local you might even meet some new interesting people. If more people did just that instead of being told what they were going to like, those big media corporations might actually develop some originality instead of giving us Batman part three 2.0.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

"Piracy" incrases profits. People who like what is being produced will always pay for it. "Piracy" is just free advertisement.

BS. Why pay when you get it for free? Why do people here support stealing? You wouldn't steal a car, would you?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

"Piracy" incrases profits. People who like what is being produced will always pay for it. "Piracy" is just free advertisement.

BS. Why pay when you get it for free? Why do people here support stealing? You wouldn't steal a car, would you?

Equating piracy to stealing a car is rather... odd. If I stole a car, the car is gone. However, in terms of file sharing, the car is still in your driveway. In fact, it never moved an inch. I just created a duplicate that in no way effects the performance of your car.

PsykoOps may have gone just a bit too far by saying always, but piracy can very well help sales. Look at the anime market, many Japanese studios actually embrace fan-subbing community because it builds interest in many different countries. This boost sales when the shows are localized for that region.

Pirates who enjoy what they're pirating, if they have the means, buy the product more than you would think. I have about 6TB of files and I have more legally owned music, movies, books, and games than anyone I know (including people who don't pirate). I also attend concerts, which also boost profits for artists.

Additionally, studios like to pretend that 1 download equals 1 lost sale. I've downloaded many things that I would never have spent money on, simply because it didn't seem like my thing. Some of that, I was right about. I hated it and deleted it. I would have been royally pissed to have wasted the hard earned cash on such trash. Others, I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it very much and did buy a legal copy.

Of course, I don't own everything I have. Last year, I did the math. To buy everything that I had, it would have cost me over a million dollars to buy it new, where profits actually make it back to the content makers. Sure, I could buy it used, but none of that gets to the people who created it and would defeat the purpose. Hell, I'd argue that pawn shops and the like are more harmful than pirates.

Another thing is that pirates can advertise the product by posting opinions online and talking about it with friends and family. If I keep raving about how awesome I thought "The man From Earth" was, eventually someone I know is going to rent it and see what they think. If a friend says they're not sure whether they really want to buy Infamous 2 or not, I can tell them how much I enjoyed it and they may be persuaded.

Pirates aren't heartless, selfish, monsters out to destroy the world. Some of us are too poor. Some of us hate the studios. Some of us hate the DRM that attempts to restricts us. Some of us live in countries where the media is far to expensive or unavailable. Some of us are even addicts, blowing through content a hundred times faster than everyone else. But all of us are fans, otherwise we wouldn't waste the bandwidth.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Of course there is some people who might think like you. People will support who they like and enjoy owning legal copies.
What makes you so sure I wouldn't just plain out steal one?
Well I wouldn't but that example is stupidest thing I've heard in support of anti-piracy. Copying something does not equate stealing. Copying does not remove the original source. In real life the closest way to use a car as comparison since cars cannot be copied is if I'd film your car. Answer to that is yes. I would. That's kinda what I do.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I've been a dirty "pirate" since the BBS days (google it) and let me tell you most of my legit purchases were pirated first, and in some cases, pirated again because of defective disks.

some pirates are indeed dirty leeches. Others are consumers looking to make an informed decision. you wouldn't buy a care without a test drive would you? Of course not. i won't buy a movie or game without a test drive either.

Besides, it's not theft or stealing, it's unauthorized reproduction.

If the industry expects to stay alive in the digital age clinging to archaic storage methods, good luck.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

What a fail of a topic how dare you try and produce an argument that contains logic and fact!. Clearly you should no better.

Will be very interesting how theyspin this one lol. like i have said numerous times, when we all used to listen to the radio with tape recorderes attatched, we all use to record from there, probably at a far greater rate than music piracy is done today, did it everhurt the industry? no i do not think so, do you see many poor pop stars living in run down shacks or on the street? no me neither.

good find excellent post, sorry for the sarcasm, cant be helped sometimes.

edit on 14-12-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join