It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Painful Meditation! - First Thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I will tell you what, do me a favor and describe your foundation practices of your meditation routine. With that, I can pin point the problem for you.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I will do my best... I havent found a technique that i know is right for me yet. But what i do is stretch, either in a bath or on the floor, before my meditation. I tried a backless chair for a month. Seemed better than a pillow on the floor. But recently i started on the floor with a pillow but only on my backside not my crossed legs. I plan to try this supine position in hopes it rids me of this discomfort. As far as the meditation itself i take a few deep breaths, say a few prayers to the divine, show my graditude to them. Then i say prayers for my friends, family, and rivals. Then the world, then specifically to people i have read about in the news that specific day. Then i imagine white light engulfing me. I then force it outwards over the universe. And this all takes about 15 mins. I then try to clear my mind, but this is usually when the pain really kicks in and i cannot ignore it.
hope that answered your question somewhere in there. Would love to hear anything you have.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I also have back problems so for meditation I will lay down and prop myself with pillows and cover with a blankie........OR use a chair I can lean back into.
My meditation teachers sure me this is all good, and its important to be comfy when practicing meditation.
I bet you get all kinds of help from this thread.......Ill read it to, as I could also use the advice, so THANX for making this thread

edit on 10-12-2011 by theRiverGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Yup everyone has been very helpful i would definately give it a look. I did not realize that you can use other postures. Laying down in my mind seemed to defeat the purpose. Haha too comfortable seemed like it meant i was being lazy. But seems i was way off. Thanks for the post :3

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CharonIncarnate

That sounds good as a practice. I thought I knew what the problem was prior to posting, but I wanted to be sure prior to posting my reply and I think I was right in my assumption. Don't feel bad, even seasoned meditaters tend to forget the foundations and run into trouble in advancement until they return to them

There are 3 basic foundations of meditation; breath, relaxation, and grounding.

There are tools to help with these like candles, fragrances, tones, etc. but one must have the foundation(basics) for forward movement. For instance in your case, without relaxation, when the energy begins to flow it can cause muscles to tighten. This can and will happen regardless of your position. By all means do your prayer and other things, but I think you should back track a little and work on the foundations. I would suggest the following to help you get started

I am writing the following to all. Beginners and advanced alike. It is a meditation I use everyday and have since 1986. Its purpose is to relax the body and develop the minds eye. It grounds and opens at the same time. I suggest that you read it aloud while recording it so that it may be used as a guided meditation(use your calming voice). There is little that is more comforting than your own voice to your subconscious mind, not to mention, almost all mental programing happens due to what you actually say rather than think. Begin recording at the quotes and end recording at the quotes but do not record what is in parentheses, these are simply guides in how to speak. This should only take about 20 min.

Preparation is easy. Simply dim the lights or light a fragrance free candle(we are not working darkness or aroma therapy for the moment),sit or lie down in a comfortable position, and breath. Breath is very important, it should be slow and deep, in through the nose and out through the mouth, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Clear your mind of anticipation and focus on your voice. If you fall asleep its ok simply try again tomorrow.

And we begin:

"You are calm, relaxed, and safe(pause) You are calm, relaxed, and safe(pause) You are calm, relaxed, and safe(pause).
Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth(pause), Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth(pause), Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth(pause).

Concentrate on your feet and calves(pause), nothing but your feet and calves(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your feet and calves(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your thighs and buttocks(pause), nothing but your thighs and buttocks(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your thighs and buttocks(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your stomach and lower back(pause), nothing but your stomach and lower back(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your stomach and lower back(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your chest and upper back(pause), nothing but your chest and upper back(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your chest and upper back(pause, pause).

Concentrate on you neck, head, and face(pause), nothing but your neck, head, and face(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your neck, head, and face(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your whole body as a whole(pause), nothing but your whole body as a whole(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your whole body as a whole(pause, pause).

(pause 30 sec. for breathing)

See yourself walking to your refrigerator(pause), you open the door and it is empty except for a single orange on the top shelf(pause), see the light and the orange, feel the cold coming from the refrigerator(pause), you pick up the orange(pause), feel its cold, feel its weight, feel its texture(pause), see its colors, see its surface, see all its detail(pause), you begin to peal the orange(pause), you smell it, you hear it tare, you feel it, you see it,(pause), you begin to eat it(pause) you taste it, you feel the beads pop in your mouth, you smell it, you hear it(pause, pause) you enjoy the senses as you experience this orange(pause, pause).

You realize you forgot to close the refrigerator(pause) when you look back to it you see the back is missing and through and beyond is a sunlit forest(pause) you step through(pause) you feel the sun on your body, you smell the air, you see the trees and random bird and animal, you hear the wind as it rustles the leaves and you begin to walk(pause, pause)

Continued-

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

As you walk you realize you are no longer you(pause) you are a deer(pause) you see as it sees, you smell as it smells, you feel as it feels, you hear as it hears(pause) you feel your new power, your new strength and begin to run(pause) faster and faster(pause) feel your heart rate, feel your breathing, see the woods speeding past as you run(pause) your fear is gone with this new experience(pause, pause)

You come to a cliff and jump, yet you do not fall for you are now a bird(pause)see as it sees, feel the wind on your face and wings(pause) notice what kind of bird you are(pause) you fly out over the ocean(pause) see, hear, smell, feel, taste(pause) turn and swoop, experience flight(pause, pause, pause)

You dive toward the surface of the ocean(pause) when you break the surface your fear is gone(pause) you are now a fish(pause), notice what you are(pause) see, hear, smell, taste, feel(pause) experience your new self and be(pause, pause, pause)

You begin to swim faster and faster then shoot up through the surface(pause) you do not come down for you are now a sphere of conscious energy(pause) see, feel, taste, touch, smell, be(pause) you rise higher and higher, faster and faster(pause)higher and higher, faster and faster(pause) you leave Earth, faster and faster(pause) you begin to travel toward the sun(pause) faster and faster(pause, pause, pause)

When you reach the sun you enter and become fire(pause) see, feel, hear, taste, smell, dance, experience, be, love(pause, pause, pause)

When you emerge from the surface you see yourself meditating by a campfire and it is night(pause) enter into yourself and open your eyes(pause) see, hear, smell, taste, feel the campfire and the area around you(pause) stand and raise your arms to the sky(pause) you begin to rise(pause) you fly to your home town(pause) use all your senses(pause) you see your house and enter through the roof(pause) you see yourself meditating and enter into yourself(pause, pause, pause)

Concentrate on your whole body as a whole(pause), nothing but your whole body as a whole(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your whole body as a whole(pause, pause).

Concentrate on you neck, head, and face(pause), nothing but your neck, head, and face(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your neck, head, and face(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your chest and upper back(pause), nothing but your chest and upper back(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your chest and upper back(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your stomach and lower back(pause), nothing but your stomach and lower back(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your stomach and lower back(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your thighs and buttocks(pause), nothing but your thighs and buttocks(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your thighs and buttocks(pause, pause).

Concentrate on your feet and calves(pause), nothing but your feet and calves(pause), breath in relaxation and breath out all tension in your feet and calves(pause, pause).

Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth(pause), Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth(pause), Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth(pause).

You are calm, relaxed, and safe(pause) You are calm, relaxed, and safe(pause) You are calm, relaxed, and safe(pause)."

When you are ready open your eyes and orientate yourself then write down your experience to the smallest detail you can remember. then repeat tomorrow and every day. When you are comfortable with changing it go through the process and change as you like. But remember to experience on all your senses levels

Edit to say; P.S. Is your refrigerator open?

P.S.S. you can alter words to fit your personal vocabulary or language ie; ice box instead of refrigerator.

Edit to add: If you choose to attempt this Please feel free to keep me posted in your progress. If it does not help with the back issues there are a few other techniques I can give you.

Peace,

Agarta

edit on 10-12-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Wow thats cool. I will def give this a try. I do hate the sound of my own voice. But i can get over it. One question though, how long are the pauses? Like five seconds? I really appreciate the post btw

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Hi!

There is a postition that is recomended for anyone that has back problems as well as older and frail people.

You lie on your back, make sure you are lying straight. You may use a pillow under your head or go without one. Bend your knees slightly or as much as you feel comfortable with. Place your hands anywhere BELOW the belly button, on the body itself, the inside of the upper inner thigh with the elbows resting besides you, or the entire arm area beside you. This postition helps that you do not fall asleep.

At first you may find it a little more difficult to withdraw your attention to the eye centre, but soon your mind will associate this position with meditation and submit to you.

I really hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Thanks :3 ill give it a go. Way too sleepy today. If i lay down im done for but i am excited for tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
You're welcome.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharonIncarnate
Hello
This is my first thread. Only took an hour to find make thread button! Anyways I have a question for someone. Quick background on me. I was in the military, I had my spine injured. Pretty simple I suppose. So now when i meditate I feel pain in my lower back and after 20 minutes i start to feel it in my neck. I am a personal trainer now so I do regular stretches and stay "in shape". So my question is..... Does anyone know of a special seat, position, or something I have not considered that could help me?

Please do not come on here and start a debate on if meditation is beneficial, against god, or any of that. :3

Im sure most religions have nothing against meditation.

Anyway, if you have an injured spine, sitting up straight will hurt, sorry thats just how it is. And unless you cant get it fixed, with surgery or a chiropractor, your out of luck.
(Sidestep: I have heard of a surgery that implants microchips between the spines..., to help ease pain when sending electrical signals from the brain and down the spine)

But the great thing about meditation, is that most of the times, it does not matter how your positioned. Aslong as you empty your mind and breath correctly. So go ahead and just lay down my friend. Or do some gardening, anything. Aslong as you breath and clear your head, you will be meditating.

Now there are things like Tantra meditation and the likes, where you are supposed to be seated in a certain position. But really, I sense your more into meditating for the few minutes of peace it gives you, and to recharge your batterylevels so to speak. And if I am right about that, then it should be no problem laying down, or laying in water(If you have a bath tub, I suggest this, its awesome)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Just lay down or something instead. You don't have to use a special posture like the lotus one.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

If you know someone willing to record it for you and you are comfortable with their voice feel free to do so its not mandatory that it be your own. As for the pauses I usually call one pause as 2 breaths, 2 pauses as 4,etc. but as you go through it you may end up adjusting your recording ie, recording over and over a few times to make it a comfortable pace for you, ultimately this is what is important.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Thanks for all your inputs i will be trying them today and some of the more complicated ones over the next week and will let you know how it goes :3

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Your SI joints may be subluxated. Go see a bonesetter..

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JackTheTripper

Oh i suppose i should go more into detail about how i got injured. Botched spinal tap the military gave me to check for a virus. :3

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I was advised the eye appearing inside simply means a growth of self-awareness. Or the opening of the third eye - which is sometimes parallel to that.
Gold as color and archetype is the Higher Self, Christ-nature or Buddha nature or Self-realized being.

These days I usually see endless abstract paintings with my inner eye.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kokatsi

Ooooh sounds cool! Haha maybe i got a pity golden eye cuz they have been watching how painful my meditations are. Are there any other signs i should be looking for? I know i can make a tingly feeling in my spine. I can sometimes bring it up to my crown but it starts fading high i go. Was curious what this might be.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I use a meditation bench so im on my knees and my but is resting on the bench top. lots of places sell them but if you are handy enough they are easy to make. i cant sit cross legged at all, hurts way too much, and I find this position to be really comfortable. keeps my back really straight as well. you could always meditation in a chair, lots of people do this too.

people get caught up that you NEED to be sitting in lotus position or something, it doesnt make a difference. the only things to consider are your comfort and that your back is straight. Good luck!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join