It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If revolution comes, what then?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There has been a lot of chatter since the financial crisis started to really hit, even so far back as the bush administration, of revolution. In the past years we have seen Egypt, Libya and other nations erupt in protest, which led to revolution among some of these nations, as we the rest of the world, just watched. This really was the most appropriate action in my view, as each nation must work out its own destiny, by its own hand. But is the same really true for us in the west?

In North America, Europe, Australia, and other first world nations, with access to the global consciousness of the Internet, we may be bound by the borders of a country, but in reality are far more connected and less divided as we would like to believe. A random idea that pops up in the head of a German writer, can make its way to twitter, only to be translated and re-tweeted the world over. Now I don't have a twitter account, but this analogy shows just how little distance relates to the passage of information now. We are approaching the time when we see the emergence of a global human council. So the boundaries of a 'country' is really no boundary at all, and with this in mind we get to the meat and potatoes of the issue.

If the fire for change continues to burn as it has the last five years, every country on the planet will be touched by revolution. Change is good, it stirs the pot, prevents stagnation and builds strength. But what comes after change? People seem so concerned with inciting revolution, there is little thought given to what would come after, what would replace the current systems. I'm sure that when the time comes we will do what we do best as humans, which is figure it out, but if we approach this with a reactionary mentality, we will only end up repeating history. Foresight and planning are necessary to facilitate change, while making sure we don't slip back to the dark ages while in transition. We must think of ourselves as a global community, and not individual nations. What hurts one of us, will hurt us all.

I don't have the solution to our problems, I don't think anyone does, and thats the point. We are at a stage in human development where not one person can solve our problems, because they were not born of one person. We as a global society must work together to cultivate the transition to a new society. One where we value more than a person's looks or wealth, where intelligence, ingenuity, and respect are key tenants of human existence.

I'm all for change, I'm all for a new better world, but lets make sure that the world we create from the ashes is better, and not just a shiny new paint job, on an old system that hasn't worked since the romans. This video put on by the British Royal Society for the Arts is pretty amazing, and well grounded. Its Not preachy, not judgmental, just smart. And I think that it gives a very good idea of where we should take this spirit for change.

As always, make up your own damn mind!

Cheers

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JunoJive

I thought it was here?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I for one, would fight to the death against a "human global council". Centralized control = slavery.
Decentralize. Disperse. Small communities should order their own affairs acc to their own needs as much as possible. Centralization only brings destruction of freedom and suppression of individuality.

I doubt there would be much agreement on how the world should be. Which would equal more wars. Sorry, it's just human nature. Biologically, encoded in our genes, we are warlike, tribal primates.

I'd prefer to be a free primate.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

My question is, what kind of revolution are you thinking will come about?

The last revolution in this country was quite bloody, and I would expect the same for another.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I hope that after it is over that the people learn one very important lesson.

Do not become complacent. Make our elected officials accountable for their actions just as we are. I am not saying had the people not become complacent as we have we would not be in the predicament that we are, but I think we would have a firmer grasp on the shenanigans that are going on. Had we kept tabs on the people in the office, I cannot help but to think that we would not be as bad off as we are.

People fail to realize that the Constitution gives the government directives that it will and must follow. The Constitution also dictates that it is the peoples duty and responsibility to make sure the government stays on the straight and narrow, and we the people have certainly dropped the ball. The government is like a child, give them an inch and they will take a mile.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Global Human Council? I believe in Anarchy. It can work. But you have to want it. "Anarchy is no control for all people" Nuff said.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You simply out the trash, abolish then re-establish the federal government with state governments' filling the void until the federal offices are filled. Use the original US Constitution fully restored. It was smooth 235 years ago after the reds were put out. It can be again.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I agree, that centralized power eventually leads to a complete corruption of the original values for which the organization stood. Its happened with almost every nation on the planet. Good intentions in the beginning end up causing problems down the road. As for the human council I was talking about, I mean everyone. Every man and woman of voting age, would be a member so to speak. The interfacing of technology with our everyday lives would allow us to vote on legislature etc from our mobile devices for instance. I'm not saying this is the only way to accomplish this, but I was certainly not talking about replacing one 1% with another 1%. Anarchy works for me, assuming there is enough societal pressure to maintain morality, although many people seem to interpret the anarchist system as 'dog eat dog'.

Again, this comes down to people's willingness to participate. We can point fingers at the 'other' all we like, but ultimately the decision to participate is an individual one. I simply hope for a system where those who do wish to participate have an equal opportunity to do so, where lobbying is done away with, and coherent conversation about the issues takes place, without thought about financial gain.

As for what kind of revolution I would like to see, I would definitely prefer a spiritual one. Not religious but spiritual, where people feel an internal drive out of desire to progress the species and the quality of life. Violence begets violence. I'm not an American, in fact my homeland has never had a revolution to speak of. If we were to, it wouldn't aid us to violently depose our elected officials. That cannot be said of every nation however, Libya and Egypt being examples of societies where a coup is necessary to open the field for future growth. But as I was saying, as first world nations, we are on the bleeding edge, it is us who must change.

They say that during a crisis, those most likely to survive are those already struggling. They have to continually change how they go about meeting their basic needs, where we have set foundations that are hard to shake. It is in these small nations undergoing change, that we will see the most progressive ideas. If we want to remain '1st world' we must learn to adapt.

Let me clear up that I'm not calling for a revolution, I think occupy movements show public support for some restructuring and we should utilize the opportunity for change when it presents itself. This makes the transitions smoother, and we don't have to start from scratch. But if the foundation is cracked, eventually procrastination takes its toll, and the whole house has to come down to make the necessary repairs.

edit on 9-12-2011 by JunoJive because: Apperently I cannot spell...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
the part that freaks me out is let say there is a revolution ok im down with that, but America has a lot of stupid ignorant people. Really, im currently in college and i do not know a single person that follows any politics. sure they know of the president and what not, but thats it, they dont know policies taken place, i mean hell a lot come to me when they find out im a political guru and ask how people dont like obama? Then it amazes me how people expect the govt to do this and that for them which causes the govt to grow more powerful as well all the while not realizing it.

Where im getting it is there are a # ton more people then in 1776, a lot of stupid people but a few smart people. If the rev occurs and lets just say we win. what kinda of govt would people put in place? people are so used to receiving govt handouts what are those people going to do? people are so used to paper money for things? people are so used to sitting on the couch everynight getting fat? are they gonna revolt again? idk man i feel like there are more stupid people than there are smart people and if a revolution occurs i feel like a crazy ass govt will come into power even more worse then whats happening now and maybe the worse weve seen. All you need is a revolution and a charismatic leader with promises and boom thats it.

new topics

top topics

join