It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ron Paul Local News Reality. An Iowan's Perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen.

I haven't posted an original thread in quite awhile but the latest Ron Paul threads have me considering what I have witnessed, watched, and read locally regarding RP and the 2012 Republican Party race. I think that some of you may have interest, as I certainly do. Admittedly, I will not be posting links (proof) to my claims. This thread is most definitely only tidbits that I recall and would only be hearsay, I suppose. With any luck, some of my more diligent neighbors may be able to add to this thread. Now before I waste any more than the 2 minutes of your time I already have let's get to the point, shall we?

When RP came in a very close 2nd at the Iowa Straw Poll, Michelle B. and Ron P were all the rage for a day or so on TV (WHO TV-13, Des Moines, Iowa) and the radio (WHO 1040 DSM, IA). Shortly thereafter (a day or two) the tone on the radio during the hourly news updates turned to "thankfully Iowans didn't do something that would be perceived as 'weird' and effectively nullifying the Iowa Straw Poll in future years by giving Ron Paul the most votes."

-- Please keep in mind I am using quotes but it is my impression and recollection, not specific quotes --

Anywhoooo, shortly after that, Rick Perry "surged" to the top of the polls and the new "front runners" in the media no longer included RP. Furthermore, Mitt (who didn't participate in the Iowa Straw Poll after doing quite well in 2008) was presented in the news along side Rick Perry and Michelle Bachmann. And the polling and the month was September... HA

A little more time goes by and in November a new poll (maybe Des Moines Register, maybe Rassmussen) appears to show Ron Paul in a "statistical" tie with 2 others. I believe this was during the Cain "surge" (love the tie in with military terms, btw). Anyway, the "local" news (KCCI - channel 8 DSM, IA / WHO-TV - channel 13 DSM, IA / WHO 1040 radio - DSM, IA) all present this "news" that there is an statistical 3 way tie for first in Iowa. If memory serves, this conveniently held through the weekend and by Monday morning the running hourly news on the radio (WHO 1040 - DSM, IA) started running a report from an "expert" stating that "there had been too much polling of Iowans" so that "results were becoming 'distorted' because 'average' voters were sick of answering polling questions and it was possible that only 'fanatical' supporters of a certain candidate would be willing to participate in polls." HEHE

So, if you are still with me, let me give you the latest round cause it abounds in downright hilarity, if nothing else. The Des Moines Register recently (last 10 days) releases its latest poll of approximately 4,000 potential Republican / Independent voters in Iowa. This poll shows Gingrich ahead in Iowa now at, and I doubt I will be exact, with like 23% of the potential vote. Ron Paul came in 2nd at like 19% (hell yea), and Mitt Romney around 15% or 16%. To there credit (as much as I can give), the DSM Register did a very thorough and thoughtful layout of the voting demographics they polled. I was actually pleased and slightly impressed. But, and there seems to always be a BUTT, err, I mean, but, the local TV news only reported it as such on Sunday. By Monday, (WHO-TV 13 - DSM, IA) was showing a graphic of Gingrich's rise with 5 other candidates on a graph that excluded (you read right), excluded Ron Paul. Furthermore, when discussing Gingrich as the new (gag) front-runner, they were comparing him to only Mitt Romney. In other words, "Newt Gingrich is leading Mitt Romney by 8% points". Etc... No mention of #2! I was sickened and switched the TV to an 30 rock re-run. Unfortunately, they were not done! Now for the tipping point for me to actually write this thread. The next day during the morning show, the jackals were discussing whom might win the Iowa caucus and the defining statistic.. Wait for it, wait for it... Was what percentage of Gingrich supporters vs Romney supporters are football fans. Now, I guess the Sugar or some other bowl game might be the night of the Iowa Caucus. These wonderfully enlightened DBs decided that we should know that more Gingrich supporters like football than Romney supporters. Aha! Still no mention of Ron Paul (who is still in 2nd in Iowa polls). Well, at least we can break it all the way down to whose supporters like football more without, once again, including the gentleman congressman (Dr., Veteran) from Texas that just happens to have the 2nd most support of any candidate in this state of Iowa.

In conclusion folks, I hope I have shed some small amount of light into at least the perspective of 1 lonely Iowa Caucus goer has (don't worry, I am bringing friends) regarding the local media coverage of Congressman Paul and the other Republican contenders for the Whitehouse. I look forward to answering any questions that I can. I caucused for Ron Paul last election, and may be able to provide some insights if anyone is interested.

Peace Friends!

Chem

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Local media is not independent and is usually owned by a large corporation which owns several local media outlets.

These people do as their bosses tell them or they lose their funding.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I've been seeing and hearing that many people who couldn't find themselves supporting Ron Paul are now backing him and ready to vote for him. What is the sentiment like over in Iowa? Are those people that give Gingrich high polling numbers completely decided on him or just throwing it out there as a 'feeler'?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Looks like I lied!

Here is the factual support for the latest Des Moines Register Polling numbers:

caucuses.desmoinesregister.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Isn't that the truth! In the case of 1040 - WHO Radio (DSM, IA), it is owned by "Clear Channel Communications" if my memory is correct.

I think that I remember that NBC channels (think WHO-TV in DSM, IA) are owned by GE Corp. but I am not sure if that is still the case.

Thank you for your reply!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Thanks for your reply. To answer based upon my myopic and limited exposure, it seems that it is a little of both. What I feel that I can honestly gauge is that the "hatred" and "disdain" towards RP that prevailed during the 2008 election cycle has been broken. It does seem like he is actually "viable" as a candidate this go around. Another thing that I noticed and democrat voters in my family shared my opinion of, is that his campaign "grew up" a lot in the last 4 years. Gone were the days of marching around shouting his name to no good end. This time, it was all business (speaking of the Straw Poll specifically) and the issues were #1. Go Ron Go!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear the media in Iowa is just as biased as the rest.

edit on 12/9/2011 by maddog99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by maddog99

Certainly seems like they are. Owned and PWned! It really is too bad. However, tonight, Steve Deace (local pundit - WHO Radio 1040 - DSM, IA) mentioned that he thinks that Ron Paul absolutely can win here in Iowa. It is more than a small win here. He was a huge Huckabee shill in 2007. He also mentioned that in July RP was his first choice. Since then, he has vacillated, to be sure. As an aside, his radio show has since been nationally syndicated. We will see...

new topics

top topics

join