It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird phone calls and text messages.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Not sure what this is, it sounds like a modern urban legend but seems incomplete...there seems to be no conclusion.

First heard it from a friend about 2 years ago then overheard a conversation in work where two people were talking about it, the time I overheard people talk about it it was slightly different, it goes like this.

A man (lives alone) is at home, sleeping, it's early in the morning, about 5 AM. He is awoken by his mobile (cell) phone ringing, he answers immediately, no doubt startled at receiving a call at such an ungodly hour. When he answers he is greeted by an obviously angry lady asking him who he is, at first he's quite defensive and demands that the lady on the other end of the line identify herself as it is she who called him.

The lady denies this, claiming that he actually called her, waking her up...and that she called him back to find out who he was and why he was calling...the man assures her he was sound asleep until she called him. Eventually they both agree to hang up so that the man can check his call log to confirm this for himself, so they hang up the call and the man checks his dialled calls and a call was indeed made from his phone to the lady. Confused the man calls the lady back.

This is where both accounts differ, the first time I heard it the man called back and the lady told him that while he was gone she noticed she's also got a text message from the man prior to the phone call which simply read "I'll call you in 5 minutes", they both hang up again and the man sees that a message was indeed sent from his phone saying "I'll call you in 5 minutes". In the second variation it turns out that after receiving the message from the man, a reply is sent from the womans phone saying "Ok" just before the first call was made.

Kinda confusing, it sounds like an urban legend and the fact that there are at least 2 variations of the story I think add weight to that conclusion...but in my experiences these urban myths tend to have a quite conclusive outcome...i.e someone is found hiding in the house or something.

Anyone else heard a story like this, perhaps another version?

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

Interesting story

do you have a link?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well not quite the same but I have had my phone ring and when I answered it the person on the other end says "Hello" and says that I called them instead of them calling me. It was a land line though. We always chalked it up to "crossed-lines".

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
No, I can't seem to find any reference to it online at all, surprising since I first heard this from a friend a couple of years ago.

I always assumed he'd missed out the end, and remember asking him if that was the whole story, perhaps someone told him and he forgot how it ended. Then I heard people talking about it and it ended kinda different but still no definite conclusion, there's something odd about that.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Well not quite the same but I have had my phone ring and when I answered it the person on the other end says "Hello" and says that I called them instead of them calling me. It was a land line though. We always chalked it up to "crossed-lines".

I live on the East Coast; Florida. I also have heard this story. I have also had this happen to me a few times. I never thought much of it but now that I am... I'll be a bit freaked out and pay better attention in the future.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I can solve this...

I drunk dial.

Alot.

Numbers I don't know.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Few years back, my phone of the time a Sony ericsson W810i occasionally, but sporadically would call my friend Alan somewhere between 4-6am,

I wouldn't even be awake 'til around 7am and my girlfriend is with me, who is very light sleeper. (cant even turn over without her waking up). I could confirm that indeed my phone had rang him, by the call log.

Alan would sent me texts asking why i had rang him, and some ungodly hour and woke him up. and once he rang me back, which woke me up, so i get outta bed, go downstairs to where my phone is usually charging in the kitchen. He said he put the phone down as noone was there and rang me straight back.

I've no explanation as to why or how it did so.

Could say maybe - it was sleep walking, had it been so, of which ive never been informed i ever have, the girlfriend would have noticed. And the call when Alan rang back straight after, took me a good minute or so to hear it, get out of cosy bed, downstairs, through 2 rooms to get to it. So with conviction can say it wasn't me.

After the 2nd time, i went through the phone options to see if there was an auto dial, like an alarm perhaps where at a certain time it would call "x" person, but there isn't such a function.

In total to my knowledge it occurred about 7-8 times, over the course of a year in 2008-2009.

With a little more knowledge in playing under the hood of software, certain hacks installed on the phone can enable other users to link up via bluetooth (and possibly other dialling in methods) then use the phone to read/send texts and ring out. AIO Bluetooth hack and bluecracker (both available on getjar.com).

So that to me, is the most likely scenario. Still doesn't who? or why? though.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I had a weird experience with my phone the other week, not quite the same as these stories but it does involve what I'm assuming is crossed signals or whatever. I wouldn't mind an opinion and can't post a thread of my own yet so I hope nobody minds me posting it here. I was totally and utterly confused how it happened though.

I was texting my boyfriend quite late one night and i think the same thing happened in two texts I sent to him. They were both quite long texts, a couple pages on a cell phone message. Basically I was saying something long winded about my philosophy degree or something. My boyfriend replied saying my message had made absolutely no sense and he didn't know what I was on about. I asked him how and re-sent the message.This time it made sense and the next day he showed me why I had confused him. In the FIRST text he received from me (the original message I had sent him, before resending it), about the whole second half of my message was NOT what I had written...it carried on seamlessly from my words I definitely had written, into a totally different paragraph about rabbits being in the room and some other weird kind of philosophical metaphor. I had not written this or ever written this in a text!?
What confused me more is the fact I was talking about my philosophy degree, and these words that appeared were also involved with philosophy. It really freaked me out seeing a text on my boyfriends phone that said it was from me, to him, at the time I know I had sent it, but half the words not being what I had written at all.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it the same crossed signals theory as to why it happens or something else?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Sounds like the hackers been busy. I heard from a friend that there is 'an app' that allows you to call ppl and send whatever number you want to their phone as the original calling number, as a trick. When he tried to show me, it didn't work.... but it looks like the hacking technology is out there.
edit on 1/1/2012 by MarkJS because: clarification, hopefully

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have never had an exact experience like this.

But one time i phoned my friend, and some man with a sort of foreign twang answered n i was like da fuq, i hung up and called the same number and my friend answered, it was weird as i had called the number saved in the phone, and when i checked my call log the first call i made hadn't even registered. It was strange. He also showed me his call log which showed the first call i made never reached him.

I thought this was weird at the time, as i had called his saved number on both ocassions, I always just dismissed it though...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

Not heard of this before but have had a similar experience a couple of months ago. I kept getting angry texts and calls from a lady asking me to stop calling and texting her. Didn't know the woman, said nothing to do with me but she wasn't having any of it - eventually forwarded me through copies of the texts (some were filthy!). Sent her a copy of my call log and told her to simply bar my number if it happened again.

Certainly nothing to do with me but i found it weird that it was happening (as she demonstrated) but there was no record of anything going on my phone. Asked my network to look into it but never heard back from them.......

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I have a friend whose cell phone sometimes does not show up on caller id, and for some reason sometimes it also shows up with the wrong number. These things only happen when she calls her parents' landline in North Dakota. She hasn't figured out if it is her cell phone or something with her parents' phone. This could account for some of the mistaken origination phone numbers in this story.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Thats pretty creepy man, better put on your tin-foil hat and wear your cross when you have a cellphone nearby.

top topics

join