It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aust & NZ common Currency.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Fair enough, but it would really be a Kiwi issue, since as the smaller of the two nations, they would be the ones most affected. Britain is part of the EU, but that doesn't mean the EU knows what's best for Britain.

To be fair I'm no expert on antipodean politics, or economics. Is having national currencies a problem?

Certainly what lot of outsiders don't realise about the Euro for example is WHY Britain rejects it.

A single currency means a single central bank.
A single central bank means a single interest rate
A single interest rate mean a single monetary policy
A single monetary policy, means a single economic policy
A single economic policy means... from an economic standpoint anyway, a single nation.

So the question is really, do New Zealand and Australia both want to be part of a single nation?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Well if you if you took the posts on this as a Census (which of course you cant) then Australia would welcome NZ as the newest state or territory of Australia. Would it still be known as Australia or would it be called something like the united states of Australasia?

I think NZ would be welcomed as the long lost annoying Sibling who has rejoined the family.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
i personally know a few people in NZ who would not like this at all. i mean, we're talking about two countries who are still arguing over who invented a dessert called pavlova!

i think there are significant differences and similarities between both countries, but do not think that a common currency is necessary at all. heck they practically own almost all the good beer aussies drink anyway, and tourism sets them on the map.

this wont get my vote.
dfh out.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
There's other large political issues too - such as NZ being declared a nuclear free zone while Australia is not. Not to mention they just don't know how to play footy.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder
There's other large political issues too - such as NZ being declared a nuclear free zone while Australia is not. Not to mention they just don't know how to play footy.

Im sure if NZ ever saw some common sense and became apart of Aust the first thing to go would be that half baked nuclear free Policy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join