It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumours Higgs boson has been detected at LHC

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Im out of this thread now its been taken over by the fantasy man with a beard.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

no no no. softysorry for not responding before.)

they are looking for the pixels. ...the bottom-most pixel.

they are desperate to find it because they need something to plop the rest of their confounded mathwork upon.

if they DO find it, then God goes "poof"!

if they do not, the physics remains (just like religion) fundamentally unprovable. ...granted, much much less unprovable, but still... they need to find the bottom.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
I believe they are taking their time, as this is going to disprove religion
It wont end it as i previously wrote, as people will continue to believe a sky fairy created everything, regardless of the scientific evidence provided

They have to go about it the right way so not to annoy too many religious fanatics
edit on 7-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

What a strange conclusion...

If I were to bake a cake from stuff other than me...
...and by searching through the contents of the cake you could find no proof of me...
...how would that disprove me?
edit on 8/12/11 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Heard this one before.. a few times.
What I last heard was that Higgs hunting season was drawing to a close for awhile for some reason or another.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Nothing is capable of proving non-existence, so, whether believer or non-believer-- go take your unicorn for a nice long ride instead of posting divisive tripe here.

I am a religious-- in orders-- and I am sick to death of the religious and anti-religious comments on this thread. I want to better understand the science.

This is science and mathematics-- and it is elegant-- so please stop trying to make it fit an agenda.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

threads like this are always so weird to me- I never understand how they turn into religious discussions.

Humans are faith-based creatures. They orient their lives based on their perception of existence. Faith in a creative force/deity/thing-beyond-comprehension (or at least worldly description) is common place. So is faith in there -not- being such a thing... which is a little more difficult for me to describe. In most cases, people replace a deity with a model of cosmology.

It's only natural that people become defensive when they feel their crux for existence threatened.

For me, I believe in a creative force and that such a force is the progenitor of all life in the universe (and that it is our ultimate destination to return to it... or become it... or both... again - It's hard to put into words). I 'subscribe' more to the Christian lines of belief - but recognize a lot of people miss the mark (everyone will be in for some surprises at the conclusion of this life, I feel - it's supremely arrogant to believe you know exactly what to expect... I'm quite the egotistical elitist... and I don't even go so far as to believe I will walk into the next life like I own the place.... presuming there is one).

Anyway - I get the sense that, for whatever reason, my 'purpose' in life is to learn things. I do it very well. I'm a horrible student because I -despise- school work and will never touch it once I am home (that's my area and my time - and damned if I'm going to do anything other than spend it telling people on the internet they are wrong!)

For me, learning is like an act of worship - it's what I get the strong sense I'm here to do, and it's how I feel 'closer' to whatever creative force is out there (or I'm imagining it, in which case, it's keeping me out of trouble and inspires me to be creative... no harm done). I also get a kick out of teaching people and/or sharing what experiences I've had. I'm not much of a social butterfly - I enjoy conversation too much to regard it as something casual; but when I do find someone mutually willing to talk - it can be a process that endures multiple hours.

Anyway.... I'm getting off topic. The point is - for me, science is never a threat to the spiritual. If you have faith for the right reasons, very few things will be able to shake it. If creating a cloud or rain in a bottle is enough to shake someone's faith in God - then they don't really have a faith in God.... They had faith in the person who told them "God makes it rain" and ran with their own interpretation of the concept.

Does anyone know if this could have anything to do with the news coming out about entanglement?

I kind of doubt it. The big thing with entanglement was that they were making headway in demonstrating macroscopic instances of entanglement - entangling entire molecules and some new one about a crystalline structure that would create a pair of entangled photons... or something along those lines. This news is relating to searching deeper within subatomic particles.

It could be something 'out of left field' - such as they encountered quantum singularities at energy levels well below what models predict... or it could be as 'routine' as "well, we didn't find the Higgs, but there's this other nifty thing we found that we didn't expect."

I'm, honestly, not placing my expectations anywhere. There's a lot of open territory on this one, and the rumor mill is going to be churning out all kinds of nonsense. "We found the Higgs" has been the knee-jerk rumor to just about everything coming out of any particle accelerator these past few years.

That does remind me, though... what was it that Fermilab had found several months ago?.... Here:

www.sciencenews.org...

Looking at collision products at energies between 120 billion and 160 billion electron volts, the physicists saw an unexpected peak: They found about 250 more such events than predicted by the standard model.

There’s only a 0.076 percent chance that the excess is a fluke, the team notes in the paper. Though small, that percentage isn’t small enough to meet the standard criteria for proof in physics. In comparison, another unexpected recent finding at the Tevatron’s CDF, which also hints at a new elementary particle, has a smaller chance — 0.04 percent — of being wrong.

It's possible that data from the LHC could provide more information regarding this finding at Fermilab. Which is somewhat more likely than news of finding the Higgs, in my opinion. The data they have collected thus far could be easily processed over the months in light of Fermilab's findings to provide more conclusive evidence.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by twinmommy38
Is it correct to say that what they are trying to prove is that if you can get to the heart of an atom at it's smallest point, it is essentially pure energy without mass and the Higgs is what initiates the weak and strong nuclear forces and changes it to matter? ...

I tried looking some answers up on the web, so I don't feel too bad about being confused by this, seems like everyone else is too
In simplest terms, if it exists, the Higgs boson as part of the Higgs mechanism could explain how most of the known elementary particles obtain their mass.

The reason people are confused is people want a dumbed down version beyond what I just said and I haven't seen a good one. But if you want to learn, here is a list of sources you can read which have been compiled by MIT:

HIGGS BOSONS

Actually if you follow that link backwards you can probably find answers to just about any physics question you can ask, if you can handle reading the technical stuff.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Can someone shop me up a rancor coming out of the LHC with a speech bubble saying "HERE I AM MOTHERF***ERS!" and people running in fear? I would do it, but I'm feeling pretty lazy..

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by arpgme

no no no. softysorry for not responding before.)

they are looking for the pixels. ...the bottom-most pixel.

they are desperate to find it because they need something to plop the rest of their confounded mathwork upon.

if they DO find it, then God goes "poof"!

Again, it depends on which type of god you're talking about....

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
the news will be revealed is...
that the universe is a Higgs particle, that is part of a atom, that makes a skin flake, that comes from a morbidly obese dude, that is stuck in his dirty keyboard, playing Eve online... he is the only 'God' as we all come from him.

on a serious i cant wait to hear what the news actually is. if it is the higgs, what happened to the black hole that would destroy everything!?!?
edit on 8-12-2011 by just1cornell0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
How does the Higgs disprove God? If I remember correctly the Higgs would help explain the "clumpiness" of the universe, the complexity of which led to all of what we see and experience. So I suppose if you imagine God dipping his finger in the early universe to stir things up a bit, thus causing the clumpiness and all of creation as it is, then perhaps this is a problem for you. But the discovery will do little to answer the question, what came before that?

Religion is about our need to explain mystery, and there will be plenty of mystery left to explain.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
I believe they are taking their time, as this is going to disprove religion
It wont end it as i previously wrote, as people will continue to believe a sky fairy created everything, regardless of the scientific evidence provided

They have to go about it the right way so not to annoy too many religious fanatics
edit on 7-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

No scientific discovery, however great, will change the fact that Jesus died for our sins,
and rose up again, on the third day.
In short nothing can cause a true Christian into disbelieving in The Holy Ghost, for the
experience itself is unshakable and completely undeniable.
Now why should the discovery of the higgs boson, uproot any1s belief is beyond me.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes, but the universe doesn't have a beginning. Before the expansion there was ALWAYS the big bang, the singularity...

ok. i'm done discussing this with you. i tried to show you, but you keep spouting psudo-science. i don't think you know enough about physics to be commenting on a topic like this. i'd recommend taking it slow with the simpler principles first, then try reading a few articles and move your way up.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

There's a theory..... or maybe a better name, a comment...... going around or a question, depends on how you pose it, anyway, that Tachyons have no mass and can travel at instantanious speed, to anywhere, in all the known dimensions, and it would be safe to say, those unknown. This Tachyon could be anywhere at all times in all moments of time or space, thus this Tachyon as it is called could in fact be God, who is able to be everwhere at any time or place all at the same time, infinity or Omnipresent, not having mass, here would be no room for paradox, ie, too heavy, light, cold, bright, etc. etc. all those quantities or particles that could be manifesting limits. Thus with the speed and abillity to be everywhere and at any time thus omnipresent, it could also be a singularity, one single, or as a Triune God, either 3 tachyons or only one enveloping all that exists. Though mans presumptivness tries to dismiss a God, I believe there is a God and Creator and choose to hold fast to my beliefs in the midst of all the atheist banter. I believe there will be an accounting, this is not random, its far too complex for the understanding of man, never the less, I believe it is the wonders of the Creator. Man will never fathom it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join