It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Uses $28.5m in Disaster Funds for Whaling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Japan uses $28.5m in disaster funds for whaling

Date: December 7, 2011
Article Link: Japan Funds Whaling Using Disaster Relief Money

The government recently gave the whalers 2.28 billion yen ($28.5 million) as part of a special budget for recovery from the March 11 triple disaster.

Much of the extra funding will go towards security forces for the whaling fleet...

Greenpeace Japan distributed the letter, because, according to executive director, Junichi Sato: “This is a new low for the shameful whaling industry and the callous politicians that support it..."

Now I can understand that money used to support those affected in the Japan quake/tsunami/radiation disaster, I am not quite supportive of the fact that this money has been diverted into funding activities which are harmful for the ecological environment that we need to preserve.

The issue here is the fact that taxpayer's money is going toward commercial fishing activities that was not supported by the taxpayers themselves.

In another recent article about whaling activities Overfishing dramatically depleting ocean stocks published by the University of British Columbia in Canada, stated that "predator species in north Pacific and Atlantic waters have dropped by more than 90 per cent since the 1950s". This is a major publication which deserves more attention in the media.

As oceanic species migrate around the globe, each colony is directly affected by the species of another colony. At the current rate of human population growth and over fishing occurring every day, there is no way that our oceans can recover if whaling continues to be supported whereas alternatives to fishing are being ignored.

I thought this should should be a wake up call to inform everyone that your disaster funds which you would expect to help someone in needs, is going to businesses which really don't have your kind heart in mind, let alone, your government sees fund distributions in a way different view point.

I want to hear your thoughts on this ATS.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Sea Shepherd already knew about this and reported it on their website...www.seashepherd.org...
edit on 6-12-2011 by Backbiter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I want all the money I donated back. I donated to help earthquake victims not pay mercenaries for a whaling fleet!
Class Action on the Japanese Government! Misappropriation of Aid funds

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Backbiter
Sea Shepherd already knew about this and reported it on their website...www.seashepherd.org...
edit on 6-12-2011 by Backbiter because: (no reason given)

This is a power excerpt from the article above...and moving indeed:

When people the world over sent their donations to Japan, it was with the innocent understanding that their contributions would be used by the Japanese government for the purpose of actually helping the Japanese victims of the disasters.

What they did not anticipate or imagine is that some of these funds would be used to subsidize the illegal slaughter of whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. But that is what the Japanese Fisheries Agency has done with a large amount of the relief funds. It is a complete disgrace and the Japanese government is displaying blatant contempt in response to the world’s generosity by this shameful behavior.

On October 21st, 2011, the Japanese cabinet agreed to set aside 2.28 billion yen (over $29 million USD) in tax revenue to help those in the worst affected regions. Since then, it has been discovered that the Japanese Fisheries Agency submitted a request entitled “measures to stabilize the scientific whaling research programme” that actually requested and received this full amount for security to defend the so-called Japanese scientific whaling fleet in the Southern Ocean....

So illegal activities have turned in a scientific research program??? WTF!? That money was not intended for research, it was intended to help those innocent civilians affected by the disaster!

If Japan used the money to save ocean animals affected by the disaster (not for commercial fishing) then I think the story would be totally different!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
They kill over 20,000 dolphins a year too,i have one word for them. Karma

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It appears with more research there is a conspiracy involving elements of the Japanese Government Australia's own immigration department under the Gillard government seems to be doing everything it can to support the Japanese whaling fleet raping our waters.

Blow to whaling campaign: Sea Shepherd pilot denied visa Andrew Darby in Hobart December 6, 2011 Refused entry ... Chris Aultman. Refused entry ... Chris Aultman. Photo: Sea Shepherd Conservation Society * Whalers set for Antarctic conflict A former US Marine helicopter pilot, who finds the whaling fleet so Sea Shepherd protesters can stop the hunt, says he has been denied a visa to join the activists in Australia. Chris Aultman, who won official praise for his work on a polar search last summer, has been held up in Los Angeles as the countdown begins to this year's conflict. Advertisement: Story continues below Mr Aultman said by email that he had come to Australia for the past six years on an electronic travel authority visa, but this time was placed on hold, and then declined. "I have not received any information about why it was denied or when it will be issued," he said. "I wish I knew." Read more: www.smh.com.au...
Source

The question is why is the Gillard Government not protecting our tourism industry by supporting the efforts of the Sea Shepard? Instead they are throwing up barriers to honorable servicemen who can provide arial support.

edit on 6-12-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
``On October 21st, 2011, the Japanese cabinet agreed to set aside 2.28 billion yen (over $29 million USD) in tax revenue to help those in the worst affected regions. Since then, it has been discovered that the Japanese Fisheries Agency submitted a request entitled “measures to stabilize the scientific whaling research programme” that actually requested and received this full amount for security to defend the so-called Japanese scientific whaling fleet in the Southern Ocean....´´

I wish I could say that I am shocked, but it seems that nothing is holy to the japanese govt
in their war on the earth and creatures of the sea.I have heard about the burning of nuclear waste in Japan, thereby spreading the radiation world wide rather then containing it.They are responsible,it is a direct result of their negligence that this disaster could happen.And now they go and continue their battle against the whales
using funding that was to help poeple in need. I see only one possible course of action,we have to boycott Japan and all japanese products.I am sorry for innocent japanese who will suffer through all this but also I am totally mystified by the lack of action by the japanese poeple to curb this madness, so perhaps a worldwide protest in the form of a boycott will raise awareness and stir up some real s..t !

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
the next time the japs have another disaster / need help the people of the world will laugh in their face not only are they still killing the ocean they still want to kill an endangered species.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
oh you can click HERE and click contact US and send a message to the PM and his cabinet. I did and do should you.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the link I just wrote the administration this letter.

Theme :2.28 billion yen Disaster aid spent on whaling in Australian Oceans,
Comment/Opinion :

When the earthquake happened earlier this year I dug deep and donated a a fair amount of money to the victims of the earthquake and Tsunami.
I am extremely disappointed to hear that this money will now be spent funding whaling in Australian waters.
I consider this is a misuse of aid money by the Japanese government.

I will also be telling all of my friends and family what this government has done with their generous donations. As an Australian we depend on whales for our tourism industry. The continued attacks on this intelligent animal give the Japanese people a very bad image here. It is my hope the people of Japan can evolve past this terrible practice. I will no longer be donating to Japan aid as I have in the past as a result of the decision to spend this money on whaling.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

Thanks for the link. I added my polite voice to the many requesting they stop.

OP Thanks for bringing this atrocity of funds mis-management to light!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It's too late, wait until next year when there aren't any more fish in the ocean. One year, that's all we have left.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So they get given money to help fix a massive environmental disaster...and they use 28.5 mill to help fund efforts which destroy the natural environment even more. Brilliant.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Support Whale wars !!! Donate to a cause that can make a difference!
www.seashepherd.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Spreading this on Facebook now. This is not being reported in the Australian Media it should be.

top topics

join