It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stereotyping on ATS - Enough Already!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
reply to post by FEDec

Stereotyping is unintelligent because it is the assumption that humans are predictable when the reality is we are highly unpredictable. It is also unintelligent since it groups people together regardless of whether or not those people act as a group or even see themselves as a group.

Your words not mine.

Did I just get you to argue against yourself?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Not at all, just pointing out that stereotyping is okay when it is against someone you don't like.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

reply to post by FEDec

Not at all, just pointing out that stereotyping is okay when it is against someone you don't like.

Give it up man you can pretend to believe all that PR BS but we both know you don't get into the KKK by loving people.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

reply to post by FEDec

Give it up man you can pretend to believe all that PR BS but we both know you don't get into the KKK by loving people.

Not the point, the point was stereotyping is intelligent and scientific. And it is perfectly acceptable to stereotype those who you dislike.
Like what you said about the KKK, if you said that about black people you would be labeled "ignorant".

Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is, in its broadest sense, any systematic knowledge that is capable of resulting in a correct prediction (i.e. falsifiability in Karl Popper's sense) or reliable outcome

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

reply to post by FEDec

Not the point, the point was stereotyping is intelligent and scientific. And it is perfectly acceptable to stereotype those who you dislike.
Like what you said about the KKK, if you said that about black people you would be labeled "ignorant".

Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is, in its broadest sense, any systematic knowledge that is capable of resulting in a correct prediction (i.e. falsifiability in Karl Popper's sense) or reliable outcome

See here is the root of your error. Everyone in the KKK chose to be in the KKK. Black people did not choose to be black. Everyone in the KKK can choose to leave, you cannot stop being black.

It IS ignorance to say all black people behave a certain way because being black is not a guarantee of shared experience. It is not stereotyping to call to KKK Ignorant pig loving yokels because they all made a choice to join and in joining guarantee themselves a shared experience and subculture that THEY CHOSE.

Nice try though. How's your sister?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

See here is the root of your error. Everyone in the KKK chose to be in the KKK. Black people did not choose to be black. Everyone in the KKK can choose to leave, you cannot stop being black.

Wait, so now it is only stereotyping if it is on race? So i can say all Christians are stupid and ignorant and that is not stereotyping? So your statements about KKK members is not stereotyping because they can choose not to be in the KKK?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

reply to post by FEDec

Wait, so now it is only stereotyping if it is on race? So i can say all Christians are stupid and ignorant and that is not stereotyping? So your statements about KKK members is not stereotyping because they can choose not to be in the KKK?

That and they are a verified hate group whose membership is restricted by race and religion. Trying to say the KKK isn't racist how stupid can you get?

People become christian for many reasons. There is only one reason to join the KKK and that reason is so extreme that I don't think anyone with more than two braincells would argue when I say all members of the KKK are racist.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

That and they are a verified hate group whose membership is restricted by race and religion.

Common misconception due to stereotypes

kukluxklan.bz...-white
it is a common misconception that we are a so called "hate" group, no member of the Ku Klux Klan, LLC. mindlessly hates other races. We are not concerned with race but are concerned with the AGENDA of certain groups and organizations that we feel are anti-America, anti-Christian and anti-Capitolist.

If you had, besides finding out they are quite attracted to pigs and their own sisters you would know that they are attempting to paint themselves as heroes. Why? Because even to people who agree with them they are an anachronism with a dwindling membership of old coots and insane meth heads.

Are you saying the KKK aren't a bunch of slack jawed, meth smoking, pig loving, drop-out, dress wearing nancy boys? Because previous behavior would say otherwise and I've finally seen the light of your argument and decided that stereotyping is intelligent.

Yeah that is stereotyping and once again it is okay to do as long as it is a group YOU don't like. I really love how you slipped n the derogatory name for homosexuals in there too.

People become christian for many reasons.

So now a stereotype is only a stereotype unless there is more than one reason to join a group?

There is only one reason to join the KKK and that reason is so extreme that I don't think anyone with more than two braincells would argue when I say all members of the KKK are racist.

There are many reasons to join the klan they even had black members
books.google.com... e+used+as+spies+on+other+Negroes+and+on+Northern+Whites&source=bl&ots=yfZaxSsHqM&sig=6R77aYl0q9M3ZcUwYS-aZCjWadw&hl=en&ei=JhbgTp_fLKjdiALIwczmDg&sa=X& oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=A%20fact%20not%20generally%20known%20is%20that%20there%20were%20thousands%20of%20Negro%2 0Klansmen.%20These%20were%20used%20as%20spies%20on%20other%20Negroes%20and%20on%20Northern%20Whites&f=false

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

Man this is just laughable. The book you posted says that the aim of the Klan is "to keep negroes in near servitude" and "his Klansmen thrashed negroes in the antebellum style until their unnatural N----- pride took a tumble and humbleness to the whiteman reigned supreme."

To be kept and thought of as sub-human being whipped and beaten at any sign of pride. That is hatred. Your example does nothing to further your point and everything to further mine. This book agrees with me even going so far as to say that there was no amount of time in which the Klan's existence could be considered necessary.

It is a hate group which people join only to hate. No amount of imagination could find it otherwise.

When did racists become so wussified? If you are going to support hate group at least own up to it rather than present some revisionist history BS.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Its not so much about if it is a hate group or not. It is more about how willfully you will stereotype a group you don't like while saying it is wrong for others to do it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join