It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Tells Monsanto to Get Lost

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+109 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is another small victory against in the war against Monsanto. Way to go France!

France is the latest nation to voice opposition against genetically modified crops, with GM maize unlikely to hit French fields next year despite the end of a ban Monsanto maize.

The news comes as evidence compiles that French legislatures will launch new restrictions regarding the use of Monsanto’s 810 maize on French soil.

It all began when France’s State Council overturned the ban on Monsanto’s GMO maize stating that it was not sufficiently justified.

The organization then attempted to justify its decision by saying that the government did not give enough evidence to justify a ban.

Under law, an EU country can only unilaterally ban a genetically modified strain if it can scientifically prove it is a risk to the health of humans, animals, or the integrity of the environment.

Interestingly the ban was lifted under these circumstances after numerous reports have surfaced highlighting the many ways in which GMO crops and biopesticides are thoroughly damaging the environment.

This is why GMO crops are continually being banned around the world in a display of defiance against biotech giant Monsanto.

Source

Take that crooked state council! The people of France have spoken!

Monsanto has a way of influencing court decisions, but it seems as of recently they're not all that powerful. Various countries have been taking a stand against GMO whether it's through the court systems, or taking matters into their own hands if needed. Some people are even going as far as burning down GMO crops.

Monsanto has ruined the lives of farmers all over the world and people are getting sick of it. All the countries should take a stand. We need to stop allowing our governments from forcing us to use this crap.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Legal or illegal who gives a crap. If the people do not want something then leave it at that. What part of no do they not understand. If the people of France, or any other country for that matter does not want something then why are these goons allowed to keep forcing it upon us. They can't make a law saying it is illegal to not want something, well, they can, but.......

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Im very happy to see someone has the conans to not let the rot in, kotos to france

+61 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

It looks like people are finally waking up and realizing that we run things and not them. They only run it if we allow them to. Here in North American (where I am) we portray ourselves as "we wont take no #" but we are the most obedient sheep in the whole world. If France can stand up to them, so can we

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
First India and now France!
This is definitely one of the more important issues that needs to be dealt with QUICK.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Monsanto is starting to know their role

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

It definitely needs to be dealt with.

If we don't put an end to this everything we consume will be genetically modified. We're already almost there.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.
The more countries I read about stopping them, the more hope I have that our own country may wake up and stand up.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
This is another small victory against in the war against Monsanto. Way to go France!

That is a very weird retelling of the story.
The actual story here is that France has *lifted* the ban on the GM crop... but one politician has made a general point about an otherwise policy for the future if they can think of a justification for it.

As far as facts go (and not politician speaking) this week was a big victory for Monsanto.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You must have missed the WHOLE first paragraph:

France is the latest nation to voice opposition against genetically modified crops, with GM maize unlikelyto hit French fields next year despite the end of a ban Monsanto maize.

Or Sarkozy's announcement:

The French government keeps and will keep its opposition against the cultivation of the Monsanto 810 maize on our soil, Sarkozy said.

I hope that helped clear things up for you

If not, perhaps reading the rest of the article may help

edit on 5-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I hope that helped clear things up for you Turbo

Oh I read it allright, I even took the time to read some other articles on the topic before posting.
You're speaking of possible maybe's relating to promises of politicians.
I'm talking about actual facts that have actually happened, as by law.

I'll see your politician talk, and raise you a Fait Accompli.
Monsanto had a big win this week, and thats a fact.

Edit - just to be clear here, Sarkozy has NO authority under Euro law to ban GM food, no matter what he says.

edit on 5-12-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, Corruption Exposed!

I doubt we'll see the US turning its back on Monsanto, but it's nice to see that other countries are waking up. People need to realize how genetically modifying plants and animals is going to eventually kill us and/or alter us for the worse. I fear it will be too late by the time Monsanto is permanently shut down though.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

HIP HIP HOURAY for Monsanto!

Monsanto had a big win this week, and thats a fact.

Sorry Alfie. Your OPINION does not count as fact, and that's a fact regardless of both our opinions.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't understand how this could be regarded as a win over Monsanto. At the moment, nothing stops this particular GMO crop to be sown next spring.

But hey, war is not over.

This development was expected. France's State Council has simply followed a rulement made last september by the Court of Justice of the EU. The ban promulgated a few years back by France is technically unlawful. It's been known for years. It's a way to win time probably.
This is not a small battle and would not be a small victory, there is a big nasty legal war raging.
Several european countries have a temporary ban on the MON 810. Off the top of my head, at least Austria and Luxembourg. Germany was talking about it at some point, I don't know if they finally banned it.

French politicians have to try (or pretend) to stop this crap to be introduced or it's their political death.
Historically, France is a farming country and the French are concerned by and sensible to agricultural problems.
So there is still hope.
French Presidentials will be held in May, no doubt this will be discussed. If Sarkozy wants to be reelected, he'd better gesticulate usefully for once.

But let's get real, the fox is already in the henhouse. France and other EU countries grow GMO crops, other crops. Spain is the main producer of GMO crops in Europe. Europeans already have GMO in their food, they are just not aware of it, traceability has been rendered very difficult, sometimes impossible.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Why don't people start burning these crops right after they are planted.
Actually wait until the crops are 2-3 months old so it would be too late to start another crop.

Or if burning their fields is a little to over the top for some, how about turning their fields into one big crop circle.

edit on 5-12-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I agree, everyone should do this.

Burning all the crops down might show them we are serious about this. They're expecting us to just move on and forget about it, I'm glad some countries are taking a stand.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by alfa1

France is the latest nation to voice opposition against genetically modified crops, with GM maize unlikelyto hit French fields next year despite the end of a ban Monsanto maize.

Or Sarkozy's announcement:

The French government keeps and will keep its opposition against the cultivation of the Monsanto 810 maize on our soil, Sarkozy said.

I hope that helped clear things up for you

If not, perhaps reading the rest of the article may help

I have also read several other articles on this, and I agree with alfa1. This article sounds more opinion-based than the others--indeed it sounds like "hopeful spin," to turn a phrase.

Don't get me wrong: We seriously need this kind of hope. But it looks to me as if the battle has only just been joined--not won....

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

The battle hasn't been won yet, we have a long way to go, but this is still a victory.

Here is a link in my OP from Reuters that explains the same thing the main article does in a less opinionated way, in case you missed it

French GMO crops unlikely in 2012 despite end of ban

(Reuters) - Genetically modified maize is unlikely to make it into French fields next year despite the lifting this week of a ban on a U.S. strain, as evidence rises that France will launch new restrictions, observers said on Tuesday.

Even if maize growers are mostly in favor of GMOs which they say will protect their crops against pests and adverse weather and boost their yields, this political uncertainty should prompt them to hold off planting.

"Now that the government says it will put all its energy in putting a new ban, we can forget about sowings next spring," maize growers group AGPM chairman Christophe Terrain told Reuters on the sidelines of a conference in Paris.

This is a victory for the people and not Monsanto, there is no doubt about it.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I agree that the Reuters article is more detailed and has a more satisfying conclusion. I withdraw my earlier challenge. Thank you for pointing out my error...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

No worries.

It's easy to overlook certain portions of those compiled articles that include many different sources.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join