It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple but dull question; which car do I buy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I need to buy a car, i dont want to, i walk mostly or borrow my dads car, but circumstances are that i now need to buy a car. Im a single mum but im not hopeless, im pretty good at fixing things and putting things together (ive had to be). However, i know nothing about cars. I know i could read "what car" or something, but to be honest i trust my ATS family more than anyone. I did own a VW polo years ago, but not sure what to go for now. Ive got about a grand to spend, but i can go higher, and im happy with a three door hatch. Any ideas people? i dont want to end up with a munter.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

try a 2007 toyota corolla. i own one and have been happy. i change the oil regularly and rotate the tires every 3000 miles and things like that. i've had no real problems with it. the newer ones i hear have issues.

-subfab

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

£1000.....have you looked on www.autotrader.co.uk... ????

Enter the amount you want to spend...the distance you are willing to travel and have a look to see what catches your fancy

There are loads of cheap cars out there, depends what you want....id recommend a Mondeo, get a lot of car for the money, and they are easy and cheap to repair

reply to post by subfab

You couldnt get an 07 for £1000.......£5000 would get you an 04-05.
Maybe a 1997 for £1000....but they are proper beat up bangers.
edit on 4-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

yeah, i can see that. one thousand maybe if you're lucky and find a private sale.

i wasn't thinking.

-subfab

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
ALL of them.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
ALL of them.

Ha, then im bound to find something i like.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

Thanks, im considering a jap car.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Cheers, il check out Autotrader. Like i said, i know nothing about buying cars.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
If you can get past the fact that there two decades old, the E30 series bmw's from the late 80's early 90's are still great cars IF taken care of by there previous owner, your going to have to sift through a lot of rust buckets but if you can find an E30 that was garaged and driven by an adult you can teach yourself how to work on them just like a honda civic. good luck!

-Foo

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

For someone in your position i suggest a Hyundai.
They have many small cars, relatively cheap, all great safety, all great quality, very good fuel economy (which is really the most important thing now a days) and they look pretty good.
I think in the short and long term this is going to be the cheapest most hassle free car for you.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
For me the most reliable would be a Honda civic , Toyota Tercel , Toyota corolla . I'm a mechanic in Canada and I'm going by my experience , customers comments and reviews I have read ! Happy Hunting !!!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The best car I'd ever had was a 01 chevy Impala that car was a dream.Lost job couldn't keep it.

The best cheapest car was 93 Ford Thunderbird that car would fly lol

Both of these cars where great on gas.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
i once asked my father about owning a model T Ford kit. for to make it from scratch. i once stepped inside a world war land carrier tank like the one on HULU Mail Call season 1 episode 1 first few seconds. i also like the Mercedes benz personal medical transport flying hovercraft prototype that Israel has. moped cool. steampunk is always an upgrade

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Since all cars are depreciating assets and ALL inevitably end up in the scrap yard I feel that your budget is very sensible as well as practical.

I'd look for a used Japanese or Korean FWD hatchback....they're inexpensive reliable economical and practical if you ever need to move small items of furniture for example the hatch is a great asset with the rear seat folded down.

I once bought a solid Teak coffee table on sale (couldn't pass it up) and it fit into my GTI Hatchback saving me the expense of having it delivered. The same applied whilst transporting 203cm skiis and/or buying relatively large Televisions....the hatchback is a great idea.
Also you ski bindings don't get coated in road salt as they do when placed in a ski rack atop as they did in my German (BMW) Sedan.

I'd recommend a Japanese or Korean Hatchback.due to their proven reliability...plus they're economical as well so you don't have to spend much time at the Petrol Station....and with good tires on them and due to their light weight combined with a standard transmission they can actually be fun to drive as well especially the Hondas !!

Happy Motoring !

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thanks people, problem resolved, i think the new pussywagon,s gonna be japanese. And as much as id like a mustang or a thunderbird, i dont think it would fit in my street and with petrol currently nearly double the price of coca-cola, i dont think i could afford to run it for longer than a hour, although i would look cool, skint and cool, but cool nevertheless.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Sorry but no pussywagons come from japan, you would need a muscle car to call it that

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Mustangs and Thunderbirds are nice cars but old school technology.
Especially evident when it comes to fuel economy.

With today's gas prices the world of Automobiles has completely changed.

With advanced technology they can make cars that are stronger and lighter and don't need an 800 lb. V8 in the nose to get things moving along any longer.

Japanese no longer translates to tinny econoboxes...

Honda's providing all aluminum V8 racing engines to the Indy cars here in the US and make a really good engine especially for the money. Indy cars haven't had a single Honda Racing engine failure.

I own a Euro Accord (Acura TSX) , Honda Pilot and an old 1975 Honda CB 550 motorcycle that 36 years old still runs great without nary a hitch and loves to climb to it's 9500 RPM Redline....so the reliability is definitely there as well....I simply perform normal oil changes , tuneups and such.

I've owned BMW and Porsches and they are undoubtedly great cars but bang for the buck...if you are into driving zeal and on a limited budget then I highly recommend checking out Hondas....in your price range a Civic or the smaller Honda Fit....which will provide fuel economy well into the 30-35 mpg range

And have some fun while driving WITH reliability and affordability. And they also do fine i the snow ~!

Peace

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What's a Munter?

top topics

join