It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US cautions Israel against solo military op in Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – As tensions between Tehran and the West rise US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Friday that he has cautioned Israel not to take unilateral military action against Iran. Speaking before the Saban Center for Middle East Policy in Washington, Panetta stressed that the key was "working together," adding that a military strike could have severe economic consequences worldwide.

Link

THERE is nothing new in Israel`s threatening military action against Iran but of late matters appear to have taken a more ominous turn. On Thursday, Defence Minister Ehud Barak told Radio Israel that non-diplomatic options were “on the table” and his government did not need approval from other powers

Israeli threat to Iran

I'm not sure Israel could win if they go at it alone.

But then again I'm pretty sure the US would never turn their back to Israel, and would probably
offer military and political assistance.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
What do you think Panetta is telling Israel?

1) Don't attack Iran,

2) Go ahead and attack Iran as soon as you find somebody to help, or

3) Wait for us, we'll attack with you, we're just not quite ready yet?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Panetta stressed that the key was "working together," adding that a military strike could have severe economic consequences worldwide.

He didnt get the message that we already HAVE economic consequences............

I believe the US isnt prepared,and is too thin,for this war.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Panetta said today..

"No greater threat exists to the security and prosperity of the Middle East than a nuclear-armed Iran," he said, adding that Obama has not ruled out using military force to stop Iran from going nuclear.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
LoL why do the western world give a crap about Israel .. They clearly hate the western world but sure love to take our money . If they want to annihilate themselves let them, I am sure Russia and China will wipe them off the face of the earth before they finish wiping the morning crap from their ...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
When push comes to shove I do support Israel. It's not a Jewish thing because I'm anything but. It's a principle thing. However, despite that, I agree with those that point out we're spread too thin and too burned out for this war. The parties over THERE want it a whole lot more than anyone over HERE wants it. So, we really need to stay entirely clear.

All I ask as an interested US citizen is that my Government stay 100% and totally neutral if Israel cannot be supported outright. We really don't have the forces... They're a mess after over 10 continuous years of fighting tempo and wear/tear on the whole system. Obama needs to keep us to the center though....Don't go helping the OTHER side in any way what so ever. No matter what happens, IMO.
edit on 3-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
go ahead israel, attack Iran... you will not exist for very much longer...

china will defend iran and so will russia...

once again... go ahead... attack iran... do us all the favor so you can finally disappear from this earth and we won't have to hear you moan and whine that you never get enough money from the west, and that the west is anti-semetic, and that the middle-east hates you, and that you have "no nukes" but willing to use them if you have to, that you are "god's chosen people"...

we are fed up of your BS so DO IT ALREADY SO THE REAL WORLD HAS A REASON TO FINALLY GET RID OF YOU!
edit on 11/12/3 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Personally I'm sick of all the Israel crap..
What this whole story boils down to is this..

Israel THINKS that Iran MIGHT be looking into building a bomb in the future.
Israel also THINKS that IF Iran did start a nuclear program and then build a bomb
that they MIGHT have some crazy in Government who would MAYBE launch a nuke
SOMEHOW at Israel..

About sums up this BS...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
go ahead israel, attack Iran... you will not exist for very much longer...

china will defend iran and so will russia...

once again... go ahead... attack iran... do us all the favor so you can finally disappear from this earth and we won't have to hear you moan and whine that you never get enough money from the west, and that the west is anti-semetic, and that the middle-east hates you, and that you have "no nukes" but willing to use them if you have to, that you are "god's chosen people"...

we are fed up of your BS so DO IT ALREADY SO THE REAL WORLD HAS A REASON TO FINALLY GET RID OF YOU!
edit on 11/12/3 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

Funny, Israel has already destroyed an Iraqi reactor along with a Syrian one, both funded and "backed" by the Ruskies, with no retaliation on behalf of anyone.

Nevertheless, the attack will happen, and I will be sure to visit this site after it happens to see your reactions. My guess? Your tune will change into a huge whining post about why Israel isn't destroyed yet.

Furthermore, the supposed complaining by Israel you have just made up are very idiotic.

---

Originally posted by Trustme333
Personally I'm sick of all the Israel crap..
What this whole story boils down to is this..

Israel THINKS that Iran MIGHT be looking into building a bomb in the future.

I believe the IAEA report clearly sums up this part, proving there are actual plans for nuclear weapons.

Israel also THINKS that IF Iran did start a nuclear program and then build a bomb
that they MIGHT have some crazy in Government who would MAYBE launch a nuke
SOMEHOW at Israel..

Hello, planet Earth to Trustme333, Iran already has a crazy government and is openly funding two terror organizations that did not hesitate to attack Israel using a barrage of rockets. What makes you think that if they achieve nuclear capabilities they will not use them to completely eradicate Israel? This is exactly what they aim for.

And what do you mean by launching a nuke SOMEHOW? As if there are not enough ways to do so...
edit on 3-12-2011 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

Plans do NOT equate to actually building or even attempting to build a bomb..
So they are looking at options, who wouldn't in their shoes ?

What makes you think that if they achieve nuclear capabilities they will not use them to completely eradicate Israel? This is exactly what they aim for.

Yeak, blahblahblah, of course they will because little Israel says so..
If I were Iran, I'd build a bomb just to keep Israel off my back..
Isn't that why Israel built theirs, as a deterent ??

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustme333

Plans do NOT equate to actually building or even attempting to build a bomb..
So they are looking at options, who wouldn't in their shoes ?

Ofcourse it equates to building. It's not tomato salad we're talking about.. it's a nuclear weapon.

When there's someone planning to build a nuclear weapon you do not wait for him to finish to know if he's got it. But yeah I guess that kind of logic is something you are unaware of.

Yeak, blahblahblah, of course they will because little Israel says so..
If I were Iran, I'd build a bomb just to keep Israel off my back..
Isn't that why Israel built theirs, as a deterent ??

A nuclear Israel is something most Arab sovereign neighbors learned how to live with and fully accept. However, a nuclear Iran is something even Arab states are afraid of, seeing how Iran is a crazy, highly unstable theocracy which doesn't hold back in slaughtering even it's own citizens.

And yeah they will, not only because little Israel says so, because common sense says so.
A nation that builds a nuclear weapon while declaring the Israeli regime must be destroyed is not up to any good. If you think an attack on their nuclear facilities is unfair after such statements - put your money where your mouth is, go to Iran and actively defend it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

If you think an attack on their nuclear facilities is unfair after such statements - put your money where your mouth is, go to Iran and actively defend it.

Why would I do that.

BTW, I wouldn't wanna be in Tel Aviv if Israel bombs Iran either..

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Why'd you do that? Because whining on the Internet has never helped anyone, or changed anything. If you're so passionate about it I suggested some real way of helping Iran but whatever.

And yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about Israel if I were you. Now you're spewing fear mongering, but after an attack on Iran you'll have only the unbalanced casualties of war to compare and you will most probably use it by showing how unfair Israel and the west is.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

You're entitled to your opinion

and me mine....

I doubt ever the two shall meet but 5that's life

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
How do the Israeli people feel about this.
Not saying I subscribe to this theory, I try not to think about Israel too much (I'm much too agnostic to care about these squabbles), but I am sure it exists at length and there are people on ATS that could go on for days about it. What if some in the Israeli government were self destructive and wouldn't mind and perhaps are even pushing for a war against themselves? I know that's straight up conspiracy theory and I don't care enough to consider it paranoia, but what if?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Israel will strike Iran like they did Iraq and Syria.While the Syrians are fighting internal dissent how much help could they offer Iran?Russia and China's responces are unknown.My fear is that after Israel strikes that Iran will try to close the strait of Hormuz.The U.S.would definitly act if that were to happen.We have made that clear for many years.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I wonder what the govt and boots on the ground are hearing? Is something more likely than those on ATS thought? This is going to get real. Real fast.

new topics

top topics

join