It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some questions about my grandfathers time in Honduras, and possible CIA ties.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
My grandfather was a Marine Corps pilot in WW2, he flew at first in the squadron that paraded Ted Williams around the USA as he was also a pilot that TPTB didn't want to see KIA. By 1944 he was transfered to the south pacific where he flew F-4's off of an island. After the war he got into the fledgling helicopter program and flew for the UN for most of the Korean war. I have some great 8mm footage from that time, peacetalks, battles, the works. He said they used to watch battles from the air with both Korean and US staff officers on board. Neither side would try to shoot the chopper because it could hold their own officers.

Anyway, after Korea he suddenly became a civilian contract pilot for the United Fruit Company and moved his family to Honduras. My grandmother aunt and mom were there with him until the spring of 1954, when they had to leave rather quickly. He stayed for almost another year then came home to Wisconsin where he joined the Army as the CO of an attack helicopter squadron, a position he held until his retirement.

My main question is this, was he working for the CIA? I recently was going through his awards and service memorabilia and found his government service plaque, which lists 35 years of service to the US Government.

Which would mean he either worked 3 years after his retirement, or his time in Honduras was on the federal payroll.

My mom is more convinced than ever that he was doing a lot more than just spraying banana plants. She remembers late night meetings in their kitchen with men in both suits and uniforms that she had never seen before. Also, he left Korea as a Captain, but when he joined the Army after the gap in service he was a Major.

I've read a lot about the CIA involvement in the banana republics, but it's all bits and pieces. Anybody here know the history of this area at that time?
edit on 2-12-2011 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Could he have transferred to National Guard after he left the regular army?

But, yes, there was plenty CIA activity in Central/South America at that time. Very possible. United Fruit Company was involved with lots of our military activity in that area from the late 1890s into the 19-teens. No reason to think they couldnt have been used as a front after that, or that much of the activity was done to secure their holdings there(big $).
edit on 2-12-2011 by pierregustavetoutant because: sp

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

Yes he was AGR until he retired (active guard reserve), so it is possible the promotion, in spite of a break in service, was due to promotion point differences between the Marines and the Army.

He was a very soft spoken man and to look at him you'd never guess he was a veteran of 3 wars.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
Anyway, after Korea he suddenly became a civilian contract pilot for the United Fruit Company and moved his family to Honduras...My main question is this, was he working for the CIA? I recently was going through his awards and service memorabilia and found his government service plaque, which lists 35 years of service to the US Government.

Which would mean he either worked 3 years after his retirement, or his time in Honduras was on the federal payroll.

My mom is more convinced than ever that he was doing a lot more than just spraying banana plants. She remembers late night meetings in their kitchen with men in both suits and uniforms that she had never seen before. Also, he left Korea as a Captain, but when he joined the Army after the gap in service he was a Major.

I've read a lot about the CIA involvement in the banana republics, but it's all bits and pieces. Anybody here know the history of this area at that time?

At that time, anyone who knew the history was a rare individual. I would recommend that you read Gore Vidal and begin with this link.

Vidal United Fruit

Keep in mind that Vidal was "in the family" with the brother Lodges' who sat on the board of United Fruit and also was Secy of State...at the same time.

Also it is necessary to understand that you see lines on a Google Map or an Atlas but the territorial demarcations of the Central American countries were hardly as distinguishable, your GD could well have been in Nicaragua or Guatemala...or all three.

My time was later in CA in the 70s and 80s but the stories still remained and so did remnants of the UFC.

Rather than hijack your thread, if yo have any other questions let me know, see my signature below.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveToSpendIt

Highjack away, I'm very interested in this subject. But I'll still check out your links.

Odds are his duties were mostly aviation related, insertions, recon, etc... But it still fascinates me to think he was a spook. I guess it meant something back then as opposed to today.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Pick up your PMs.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

My main question is this, was he working for the CIA?

Given his history, I think you can be pretty sure he was in the CIA. Throughout the last half of the 20th Century, the chances that a Caucasian "businessman" flying around in various tropical political hotspots was working for the CIA is about 90 percent.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

My main question is this, was he working for the CIA?

Given his history, I think you can be pretty sure he was in the CIA. Throughout the last half of the 20th Century, the chances that a Caucasian "businessman" flying around in various tropical political hotspots was working for the CIA is about 90 percent.

Yep, the CIA even helped the overthrow to support that company.

edit on 3-12-2011 by Zaphod because: He must have meant Corsairs....

top topics

join