It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Katla Eruption Could Have Global Impact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Hundreds of metres under one of Iceland's largest glaciers there are signs of an imminent volcanic eruption that could be one of the most powerful the country has seen in almost a century.

Although I take a passing interest, I am not schooled enough in this subject to offer any insight to this, but wondered if anyone on here would be able to validate the claims or spread some light on what the eruption of such a size would actually do to the planet in both short and long term and also how a big a threat this is to the people of Iceland.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretFace
www.bbc.co.uk...

Hundreds of metres under one of Iceland's largest glaciers there are signs of an imminent volcanic eruption that could be one of the most powerful the country has seen in almost a century.

Although I take a passing interest, I am not schooled enough in this subject to offer any insight to this, but wondered if anyone on here would be able to validate the claims or spread some light on what the eruption of such a size would actually do to the planet in both short and long term and also how a big a threat this is to the people of Iceland.

Well for one it will fudge up everything for almost everyone on earth if that thing is as big as they say it is.

Think new ICE AGE.

As it melts the ice it floods the ocean with fresh cold water killing the warm currents and causing colder temps to occur.

Also if this is a caldera then well........Boom lots and lots of ash to block out the sun as well.
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamfox1

Originally posted by SecretFace
www.bbc.co.uk...

Well for one it will fudge up everything for almost everyone on earth if that thing is as big as they say it is.

Think new ICE AGE.

As it melts the ice it floods the ocean with fresh cold water killing the warm currents and causing colder temps to occur.

Also if this is a caldera then well........Boom lots and lots of ash to block out the sun as well.

With the year 2012 coming up damm things are looking bad.

And if nothing happens well someday it will that's for sure.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Think new ICE AGE.

Think FEARMONGERING...

seeing as it has erupted many times before... the last being 1918 and we havent had an ice age in approx 20,000 years.. I think we can safely rule out the coming "ICE AGE"

Eruption site Year/century Date Duration (days)
Katla 1955 (small subglacial eruption)
Katla 1918 12 October 24 days
Katla 1860 8 May 20 days
Katla 1823 26 June 28 days
Katla 1755 17 October ~120 days
Katla 1721 11 May ~100 days
Katla 1660 3 November ~60 days
Katla 1625 2 September 13 days
Katla 1612 12 October
Katla 1580 11 August
Katla ~1500
Katla 15. century
Katla 1416
Katla ~1357
Katla 1262
Katla 1245
Katla ~1179
Katla 12. century
Eldgjá-Katla ~934
Katla ~920
Katla Late 9. cent. or early 10. cent.

all figures above are from the official iceland website..
edit on 2/12/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Yea....

Most unlikely.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Katla could have impact to climate, but not ice age. Even though its one of biggest volcanoes in Iceland, it prolly wont cause ice age, but some minor temperature droppings around the world, think of Krakatoa.

But I actually wish for volcano explosion that causes global effects. Weather right now is totally nuts. Just look North Atlantic Oscillation index Here

This winter is like 2006/2007 winters. We had yesterday +5 Celsius here in Finland. That is way above normal temperatures. We have storm like winds every day, its raining too. This winter makes me believe in Global Warming. Other than that, our nature is preparing for spring already, in some places rabbits are still brown in their summer fur.

Big volcano eruption could "reset" global warming by dropping sea water temperatures, so sea water absorbs more carbon dioxide. It also freezes marshlands in Siberia, where monster greenhouse gas Methane comes from. Also north and south poles grow larger when temperature drops, reflecting more Sun's radiation to space.

Sorry if went bit offtopic
edit on 2-12-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Benjamin Franklin may have been the first to make a connection between volcanoes and global climate, and it was an Icelandic volcano that gave him the clues.

In 1784, Benjamin Franklin made what may have been the first connection between volcanoes and global climate while stationed in Paris as the first diplomatic representative of the United States of America. He observed that during the summer of 1783, the climate was abnormally cold, both in Europe and back in the U.S. The ground froze early, the first snow stayed on the ground without melting, the winter was more severe than usual, and there seemed to be "a constant fog over all Europe, and [a] great part of North America."

Here is what Franklin observed, and what you would expect to happen if Katla erupted on a similar scale 'which it is more than capable of doing'.

What Benjamin Franklin observed was indeed the result of volcanic activity. An enormous eruption of the Laki fissure system (a chain of volcanoes in which the lava erupts through a crack in the ground instead of from a single point) in Iceland caused the disruptions. The Laki eruptions produced about 14 cubic kilometers of basalt (thin, black, fluid lava) during more than eight months of activity. More importantly in terms of global climate, however, the Laki event also produced an ash cloud that may have reached up into the stratosphere. This cloud caused a dense haze across Europe that dimmed the sun, perhaps as far west as Siberia. In addition to ash, the eruptive cloud consisted primarily of vast quantities of sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrogen chloride (HCl), and hydrogen fluoride gases (HF). The gases combined with water in the atmosphere to produce acid rain, destroying crops and killing livestock. The effects, of course, were most severe in Iceland; ultimately, more than 75 percent of Iceland�s livestock and 25 percent of its human population died from famine or the toxic impact of the Laki eruption clouds. Consequences were also felt far beyond Iceland. Temperature data from the U.S. indicate that record lows occurred during the winter of 1783-1784. In fact, the temperature decreased about one degree Celsius in the Northern Hemisphere overall. That may not sound like much, but it had enormous effects in terms of food supplies and the survival of people across the Northern Hemisphere. For comparison, the global temperature of the most recent Ice Age was only about five degrees C below the current average.

I'm sure that today we could deal with such an event much better than they could back then, but it would still be a rather miserable year or two.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Laki is the poison gas killer, Katla is just a bigger volcano than E's eruption last year. Katla has been showing signs of an eruption for months.

I first came to ATS after watching the big E eruption in Iceland almost 24/7 with friends on another site. They told me about ATS and I have been here since.

However, regarding the article, it is complete crap. There is no immediate eruption. Several ATS members have been watching Katla for months.

Here is the thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

In regards to why it is crap, here ya go:

"Bogus news story going around about Katla volcano

Posted on November 25, 2011 by Jón Frímann

There is a bogus news story about Katla volcano. The bogus news are that Katla volcano is just few days from erupting. This is wrong. At the moment there are no signs that Katla volcano is about to erupt. There is currently a relative quiet in Katla volcano, compared to the activity several weeks ago. But that activity started after the minor eruption in Katla volcano in July 2011 (this summer). This bogus news is also annoying the staff at Iceland Met Office, how are now getting phone calls about this news. Where other professionals are trying to get more information on this or just trying to figure out if the news is correct or not.

For the moment, it is all quiet in Katla volcano. If there are any changes. I am sure to write about it here with up to date information on what is going on. While the Yellow Press is looking for big-foot or something. So once again, the yellow press has it wrong and spreads minor panic following this poor news reporting.

News about this in Icelandic."
www.jonfr.com...

And for those that are curious, here is the seismo page for Katla:
en.vedur.is...

I just checked the seismic activity, and even though there are some micro quakes going on (recommend clicking on the Table link on the link above), this is nothing comapred to more recent swarms.

Is it getting ready to erupt? Definitely. But it is going to take some time before it gets to the point. That article in the OP is fearmongering.

And for those who like staring for endless hours at nothing like me, here is a cam link (its dark there as of this post): www.ruv.is...

So, NO big eruption this week. A bigger eruption soon, but nothing to the end the world with

top topics

join