It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan : Jailed Afghan rape victim freed but 'to marry attacker'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Jailed Afghan rape victim freed but 'to marry attacker'

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has pardoned a rape victim who was jailed for adultery, after she apparently agreed to marry her attacker.

A government statement said she agreed to the marriage, although her lawyer said she did not wish to marry him.

Thanks for that Ms. Obvious..

The woman, named as Gulnaz, gave birth in prison to a daughter who has been kept in jail with her.

Which is quite ridiculous considering the life in an Afghan prison.

Ms Motley told the BBC that Gulnaz's release was not conditional on her marrying the rapist.

Sure it wasn't. Except she was only pardoned AFTER she agreed to marry her rapist.

"At first my sentence was two years," she said. "When I appealed it became 12 years. I didn't do anything. Why should I be sentenced for so long?"

The most recent appeal saw her sentence reduced to three years.

Appealing your sentence puts you longer in jail... ain't that nice?

The attack on Gulnaz was brought to light by her pregnancy. Her attacker - her cousin's husband - was jailed for 12 years, later reduced on appeal to seven years.

So the woman raped appeal her sentence : she gets more years in jail. Her attacker appeals : he gets less jail time... ain't it wonderful?

Cover up by the EU :

Her story was included in a European Union documentary on Afghan women jailed for so-called "moral crimes" - however, the EU blocked its release.

The EU said it decided to withdraw the film - which it commissioned and paid for - because of "very real concerns for the safety of the women portrayed".

Sure it was for the safety of women... SURE IT WAS.

This whole business is SICKENING.

I'm sure if there's neo-cons in Afghanistan, they are calling Karzai ``soft on rape victims``.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure what this woman can do now?? She can't run to an American base or Embassy. Obama would just order her thrown back to the jackals and we'd likely see her shot right there in the street for trying to escape. Perhaps the Germans? They have military force in-country and perhaps Angela Merkel has reached the point where she doesn't care about kissing Karzai's butt anymore.

If THIS is the system we fought, lost Americans and killed countless enemy AND civilians alike to build, I want a refund and I want to see our people destroy it on their way OUTBOUND. Criminal doesn't even begin to cover the fact Karzai actually PARDONED a rape VICTIM. That single sentence of the whole article is enough to say everything I need to know about Afghanistan, it's current regime and our desperate need to LEAVE.

Lets find a way to take a few of these victims with us when we go though....Maybe in some cosmic court, that small gesture of human decency will count for something against the other side of the balance sheet.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So remind me what we are fighting for over there again??

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

Halliburton, Lockheed Martin, Boeing... didn't you get the memo?

Also for human trafficking of kids/women by DynCorp and drugs for the CIA.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I think the military industrial complex want this to last as long as possible, so it makes since the US supported government there is doing stuff like this.

Remember, the US is not fighting AGAINST that sort of thing, they are fighting FOR the current Afghan government, they are fighting the "rebels" that don't like the current requiem there. So, if you lived there, and this story bothered you and you wanted to fight back, you would be what the US calls a "terrorist".

Oh, plus the militias destroyed nearly all the the poppy fields in Afghanistan prior to US invasion, and since the US came in and destroyed those militias, Afghanistan is now the #1 producer of poppy/heroin again, making up 90% of the worlds supply.

Oh and... www.foxnews.com...

So yeah, that is what the US is fighting for.
edit on 1-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Oh yeah...sorry..I lost track there for a minute...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I heard a couple hours ago that someone threw acid on her when she refused to marry her attacker. It was on CNN. Aint that nice.

Whoever is in power there has control issues with women.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think that the West should immediately imbark on importing tens of thousands of this culture, and then apply a logical fallacy of Argument to Moderation to say that there MUST be a way to make it work.

Or:

I insist that you all stop being judgemental and accept this as a beautiful contribution to the fabric of human diversity and culture. Tolerance is the key to all peace....

(you know, except for her. She's probably just tired of being raped in prison. Daily spousal rape probably seems like a more peaceful alternative.)
edit on 2011/12/1 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Um...it's one of these 2 guys:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Good for her, I hope that soon she will be a widower and receive all of this mans earthly goods.
Just a bit of a pillow on the face should work fine.
Sorry if this post is out of bounds and I understand if I need to be "censored", but I'm sure much of the humans on the planet feel the same as I.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I just read this online and this is sick.

They are allowed their beliefs and views but she was RAPED, do they not know what rape is? So I guess their god or whoever they say she shamed thinks it is worse that she was forced to have sex over the person who forced himself upon her and got her pregnant? That is somehow her fault? This is so sad, that poor girl agreed to a different kind of prison. She now has to live with this man who raped her and a child she had because of it. Her other choice was to stay in prison and raise a child, she chose the less of the two and yet both are horrible.

I don't get into other religions and their beliefs because I feel people have a right to believe in what they want but when it comes to rape I don't care who you worship rape on anyone is not good and nobody who is raped should be forced to feel like they did something wrong!

I feel bad for the women over there. Nobody should ever be treated that way, and it has nothing to do with religion it's called human rights and nobody deserves what has happened to this poor girl. She is innocent.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That is because you don't understand that there is a fundamental disconnect between the rights of the individual and the rights of the collective that is not addressed and cannot be here.

In most cultures, over all of history, the collective is protected over the individual at all costs. To maintain their delusion, your human rights must be given away. Or at least some subsection of the population's human rights must be transfered to others.

Our systems are unique. They are fragile. They are uncommon in human experience. A way protect the individual and create a covenant between the individual and the collective that protects the individual. In exchange the individual thrives with increased innovations.

The collective system insists that your role is defined as a member of the collective, and that only resources define further expansion. Specifically. Inherently.

Insisting that there is a middle ground doesn't make one exist. There isn't always a middle ground between points.

This middle ground has already been negotiated in the Western enlightenment systems. The middle ground is there - and it is being REJECTED. That's what you guys refuse to see.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Um...it's one of these 2 guys:

Ummm...no...it's not just those in power....it's a way of life (for the male population)

I have had enough with near-east students in the US (international visitors). I work at a major university and they basically spit on me because I am a woman. The females, from the same countries, are totally different.

The culture is warped according to Western and/or human rights standards....

new topics

top topics

join