It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov't Intel Agency launches online code-cracking puzzle to recruit cyber-savvy espionage types

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

When it comes to the secretive business of recruiting spies, images of shadowy figures and covert meetings at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge spring to mind. However in response to increased threats from cyber crime, a Government agency is throwing open its recruitment process to self-taught hackers and mathematical geniuses who have not been educated at Oxbridge.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e26b62884724.jpg[/atsimg]

The UK intelligence agency GCHQ has launched an online code-cracking competition in a bid to seek out the next generation of internet-savvy spies with the hope they can help protect the country from the growing problem of cyber crime.

It is thought this modern approach will enable the agency to quickly identify those with the right skills for espionage in the computer age. The puzzle is featured on an unbranded website with the domain name canyoucrackit.co.uk. Competitors are then faced with a grid of apparently random numbers and letters along with a countdown clock. They are then given seven hours to unscramble the code to reveal a secret keyword.

A GCHQ spokesman said: 'The target audience for this particular campaign is one that may not typically be attracted to traditional advertising methods and may be unaware that GCHQ is recruiting for these kinds of roles.

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

You will have to go to the website or news article for the pic (I am having issues with computer). Very interesting indeed but.... I would be worried that a really smart Chinese or Russian spy would be able to get in the door-just because he was able to break a code?

And only one code? I sure hope the testing continues before full employment and responsibilities are begun.

So, any of you smart ATSers able to do it. Let us know and good luck in your new profession!!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa04dc980947.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Been posted like 3 times already....

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

Must be by different title(s). Okay then, thank you.

Mods, please close if correct.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I love sitting at a computer with a ski mask on.

The best is going to the store with one on.

I've often wondered how people who live in desert countries obtain ski masks. Like hello you live in the desert. I bet the ski mask industry is doing better in the mid east than it is in Northern Canada though.
edit on 11/12/1 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
you will have bugger all chance of decoding this without some programing knowledge.

part 1 wasn't that dificult, part 2 is a bit more so.
edit on 1-12-2011 by rayuki because: (no reason given)

a few hints for part one, its x86 machine code, and theres a cyper in the .png header.
edit on 1-12-2011 by rayuki because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join