It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keyboard Shortcuts You Should Know

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I didn't see this one so I thought I might add. Sorry if it's a repeat.
In your internet browser, you can type in the name of the site like "hotmail" then press ctrl+enter and it will fill in the www. and the .com.

It won't increase productivity, but it feels cool.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by grindhouzer

Here's one for you...

Alt + F4

seriously though isn't this something we learned in computer class, they do still teach the basics in computer class right? Hell they should be teaching BASIC as-well.

Ah yes, a "why don't you know what I know" message. Tell ya what smart guy, let's discuss MRI scanners. What do you know about precession and its effect on imaging? What is the resonant frquency for a 1.5T scanner? How about giving us a coherent expanation of K-space?

OP- Thanks for the post. I didn't know most of those. Every once in a while that word search box comes up and I had no idea what I was doing to cause that. I must be trying to do a capital "F" and hit the CTRL instead of "Shift".

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here's one I don't believe has been mentioned

CTRL + ESC -- same as pressing the windows key
works best for those crummy laptops missing the windows key on the left of the spacebar

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is kinda nice

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I discovered the ctrl "+" and "-" quite by accident after I hooked my computer up to my 46" HDTV. ( got an HDMI port on my video card)...

It's nice to sit here in my recliner with my wireless keyboard and mouse, and surf the net in my living room!

Haven't used my computer desk for nearly 3 years now...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
S+F for the thread,can someone help me with the screenshot one please,it doesnt seem to work or if it does work then where does the screenshot go lol thanks!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

HOLD (Right hand side) ALT + CTRL (with number pad type) 168, you will see an upside down ? mark.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JLO1986

HOLD (Right hand side) ALT + CTRL (with number pad type) 168, you will see an upside down ? mark.

For many of those characters, Windows gave us the "Character Map". Check it out! (Run: charmap.exe)
©¿©

(ALT+0169, ALT+ 0191, ALT+ 0169)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lektrofellon
S+F for the thread,can someone help me with the screenshot one please,it doesnt seem to work or if it does work then where does the screenshot go lol thanks!

A screenshot is like Copy and goes to the Clipboard.

Open Paint and Paste. Use the Cut command to select the section you want, Cut, New Page, Paste!

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
As a programmer I find the F2 key quite useful.
It's the shortcut to rename files, probably not that useful in every day life, but it sure saves me a lot of time.

I kind of surprised (a lot of) people don't know this stuff. But then again, I'm most likely a younger generation.

Edit:

CTRL- "-" or "+": to reduce or increase font size on a webpage

Holding the Ctrl key and scrolling with your mouse wheel up or down does the same thing.

Another shortcut that might be useful, not to actually use, but to fix things:
Alt + Shift: toggles your keyboard layout. In case you press it by accident
Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow: flip the screen upside-down.
Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow = flip the screen rightside-up.
Ctrl + Alt + Right Arrow = rotate the screen 90° CW
Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow = rotate the screen 90° CCW
Those are in case your screen ever turns around by accident. They don't always work, but then it shouldn't turn by accident either

Some shortscuts using the windows key: (the one with the windows logo)
Windows key + f: opens windows' search
Windows key + Tab: Same as Alt + Tab but a different layout (only in windows since vista)
Windows key + l: locks your pc/laptop if you have a password, for when you go on a break and don't want anyone else to be on your computer
Windows key + e: opens the exporer ('my computer')
edit on 1/12/11 by LanceDH because: (no reason given)

Windows key + r: opens the run window, can be used to open charmap for example. press the shortcut, type in charmap and now you can pick any of the basic symbols in your fonts, like these: © ® ¶ Ӂ ☺ ♫
Edit: just noticed this one got mentioned 2 posts above this one

extra DIV

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Grindhouzer..let's not forget the ALT-255 in a file name uploaded to a bbs in the day. The sysop would click on the file, and dos would say "file not found"...old simple hacker trick. It was called a white space. Had a lot of fun with that one. Yours however are useful, and I being an old bit hacker (used a computer before the mouse) know these combinations. Learned most of them using Lotus and Wordperfect. Nice post man......it brought me back to a kinder, gentler time......

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

one I like is CTRL + ALT + delete.
it opens a window so you can see what your computer is doing/using.

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC does the same thing too. For those times when you don't feel like using two hands lol

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LanceDH

Thanks - I'm keeping that info just in case.
I'm also going to tell my mom to hit 'Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow' next time we're on Skype.
hehehe
*evil grin*

top topics

<< 1   >>

join