It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with an issue about my cable Internet service.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I understood. It's not just slowing however, it simply stops part way through a download or opening a page and often times out. I've had minor slowdowns but never seen this before. They did say though that they found the issue at their end and mentioned it was to due a usage issue with a node.

My capability is now 2.4 Mbps if I remember right up from the 1.4 Mbps I had before they reminded me to opt in to the new speed at the same price. Generally I saw the full 1.4 on most downloads for the entire download until this. Have not tried the new speed since this came up.

The company seemed quite honest with me which I appreciate. I know they got a new CEO a while ago who said her goal was to better customer relations and improve service. Still the idea it cannot be fixed without waiting weeks troubles me which is why I posted this.

I am also curious if this is a problem that is going to get worse and worse with all the Gamers and people watching movies and TV on the Internet. Is the infrastructure up to the task I wonder? Is this a matter of inadequate equipment or lines that is growing?

They put out a flyer in our bills about 6 months ago about them limiting the smaller accounts due to overuse by a tiny number of people. All I get is an advisory email if I go over 200 gigs, which I'll never do. Don't even know how others do so unless they sit at their computer downloading all the time.

I know one thing, I hate downloading on DSL after having had the far faster speeds. That and they charge way more for the DSL and it has intermittent outages all the time.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Thanks. I thought about my last reply to you. I shouldve said...no matter how good, fast, upgraded or efficient your computer is....its not a vaccum cleaner where you can just SUCK up the connection with your service. Those lines will always be subject to traffic, hacks and glitches with the servers. Good Luck!

PS I HATED DSL!!!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Tech Support help, you say? And they helped you? I have Time Warner Cable. The one time I called them, they asked me what version of Windows I was running. I said I don't run Windows, I run Fedora Linux. "Sorry, we cannot help you sir."

I pay a little extra for extra bandwidth, but even with that some days the service is spotty. What I do is unplug the modem for 30 minutes. when I restart the modem, it gains the fastest IP it can find on the server. I have my MAC address configured to generate a random address with every new IP address, so all is new, and fresh. Time Warner actually advised me to do this. Another thing. Sometimes the service goes down. When this happens, keep count of how long you are out of service, and call them for an adjustment. They will adjust your bill, but you have to call and ask them to do this.

<< 1   >>

join