It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Flags and Troll Points

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am unsure if this is the correct forum mods please move if it is better suited in another area.

Like it or not trolling happens in any forum it is often discussed in depth derailing a thread.
I know feeding the trolls satisfies some this becomes evident in the replies.
One persons Troll is another persons ally in thought.
I often find myself wondering when I see the same avatar-less profiles posting the same agenda on the same thread types I wonder if that's a pro troll.

How good would it be if Like the Star and Flag marking system there could be some sort of troll points system.
Obviously nothing attacking but instead of multiple posts about trolling one could simply assign their suspicions with a troll point.
I'm just putting it out there as a thought.
Benefits?
Risks?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Meh. Bad idea. Feelers would get wounded. Tears would form rivers. Butts would hurt. It's a nice idea in theory, but I see too many ways for it to backfire. I would kinda like to see how many people think I'm trolling though. Dummies.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I like the idea, but then everyone that disagreed would just be awarding troll points. Maybe if it was something that mods awarded for minor troll infractions rather than point deductions and as a sort of scarlet letter.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

We already have that don't we? When someone gets put in the naughty corner you can't star a post. Also, I would really hate to see people trying for troll points.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Oh.. I didn't know that.
I never noticed anyone that I couldn't star.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I think that's what it is. Where the star belongs there is a little ~ instead. I may be wrong on this but I er, uh, think it may have happened to me once or twice.

One thing I would like to see is a reduction of one liner posts with a picture that automatically derail a thread within the first few posts. A crime that I am most guilty of.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Yeah I see what your saying could be abused to scarlet letter someone.
In my head I saw a mini troll with big hair being applied as the troll point like a star.
Looking back I see how it could be used to hamper unpopular opinion. The star flag system is a positive one. Troll points would probably just be a neg. But ooooh so satisfying.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I prefer one liner posts to one liner posts with "second line" for the second line.
Haha.. I was guilty of that at the start of my posting on ATS.

To future posters that may be reading this.. if the single line is relevant and makes a point, or answers someone, then it's fine, you won't get in trouble.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Very true. I'm horribly guilty of making smartass one line responses to threads with no actual substance. Really been trying to knock it off. It's not fair to the OP or other members to ruin a good thread for a cheap laugh. Anyone reading this feel free to call me on it via U2U in the future. Don't muddy the thread further by making a post in that thread.

I also think there should be a penalty for saying 'Mods feel free to move this' or 'I already did a search'. The blame for that is on the idiots that come into a thread and say, 'Herp Derp search function is your friend' or 'Herp Derpsydoodledee why is dis thrad in dis sectionz?'. Morons (I used to do this too so I forgive).

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yep.. I'm guilty of a few top of the thread disclaimers..
I'm guilty of calling out multiple threads too, but I think only when there are like 3 or 4 started, or when one is started way late. I usually just leave it to the next person though. It will always happen eventually.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Not to be trollin'.......

I'm just too tired of silly avatars, signatures...etc. to troll or even do my profile, or to click a troll whom is trollin'

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

edit on 30-11-2011 by onfire49 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

"Flags" on Craigslist mean the opposite of what they do here (altho that is more of a marketplace). And in basketball you can score points or be tallied a foul. Perhaps a system for "calling a foul" is worth exploring for the more egregious posts.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The trolling or being an a$$ feature would be nice to click on.
I mean,really ,we have a positive feedback feature on here.
Why not a negative feedback,other than no feedback at all.
Nothing wrong with someone disagreeing and good ol' debating,but just being nasty is something else.
But,that is the mod's job,right?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The Troll Toll

At the risk of plugging this thread a little too much, it does offer a useful definition for trolling...

Trolling, And What To Do About It

One of the problems with trolling is that there's an unlimited number of ways to do it, and just about everyone has their own definition of what it is.

A key issue with a "troll points" concept is that it would be prone to abuse, and in most cases would probably signify little more than the fact that people didn't like the topic or the member who started it, rather than whether it was actually genuine trolling.

In a more general sense, various negative rating system schemes have been proposed quite a few times over the years, and the owners have repeatedly rejected such proposals for many good reasons.

Probably the closest thing we have to something like that is selecting "Rivals" with the Friends/Rivals feature. But even there the idea of a "Rival" is more along the lines of a debating opponent than someone who trolls. Or so we are led to believe.

As for identifying trolls or trolling, the best method we currently have is the ALERT system. When members alert us to problem posts, it helps us respond more quickly and, ideally, keep threads from getting derailed or flame wars from breaking out, neither of which is acceptable for members who just want to post to or read a useful, informative and interesting thread.

My point of view is that I don't like the "scarlet letter" approach, and don't think members should have to wear badges of shame. We used to have a warning system that would put red flags under member avatars, and I'm glad we got rid of that. The reason I don't like "branding" of that kind is because it's backward-looking. What people have done in the past can't be changed, only what they're doing now and in the future.

We have quite a few members who run afoul of us for some reason or another (usually discourtesy) but who, once confronted about it, really do their best and really do become good members who go and sin no more. It just seems wrong to punish someone with public black marks when they have already changed their ways and are trying to do the right thing.

In any case, suggestions are always welcome and we do get some great ideas from our members. While we all have our less-than-flattering moments now and then, on balance, the collective wisdom of the ATS membership is an awesome, phenomenal power.

As long as we choose to use it for good, not evil, everyone wins.

edit on 11/30/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It would give me some sort of win around here I suspect. I might even try.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

... Also, I would really hate to see people trying for troll points.

Heh, well, you see. There ya go! It would make it more fun.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Isn't troll just a word for someone that disagrees with you? That is the ONLY way i see it used

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Id like us to be able to unstar a thread thats ridiculous, the threat of getting minus flag would make people think twice before posting stupid troll threads.

Anything with "100% proof!!!" would instantly get minus flagged for me because they never contain any such proof.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

yeah - pretty much - if i had a quid for every time i was acussed of being a troll , shill , disinfo agent etc

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join