It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interracial Couples Banned From Attending Church

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Pike County's racial controversy began in June, when 24-year-old Stella Harville brought Zimbabwe-born fiance Ticha Chikuni to worship at the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church. Stella was baptized at this church; her family has worshipped there for decades. At the June service, Ticha sang a hymn while Stella accompanied him on piano. This harmonious expression of devotion so disturbed the delicate racists of Pike County—the 98% white home of the infamous Hatfield-McCoy feud—that church leaders spent the next five months locked in debate. In November they took a vote and agreed to ban interracial couples from public worship.

Because Jesus only loves you if you're white and don't betray your race! What a load of bull. I thought the whole point was to be accepting tolerant and loving. As the young woman says, these are the people that should be helping her through trying times, not making them harder. I don't think you can help who you fall in love with, and I really don't think the color of their skin matters in the least. Did I miss the part in the bible where Jesus was a racist bigoted jerk or something? Video at link.

Some bad language at link; be warned sensitives.

Link

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I never got racist christians, there own messiah was middle eastern.

It just seems like an epic failure in logic to me.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It makes me ill to say the least.
I really work at not having a prejudice myself against the Christian Far Right.
It's an idealogical prejudice,They can be black white or tan.
I still have a problem with the way a lot of them think.
Like I said I'm working on it.
I would certainly never ban them from anywhere.
I hate to say it but those are some racist ****** *******.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Pike County's racial controversy began in June, when 24-year-old Stella Harville brought Zimbabwe-born fiance Ticha Chikuni to worship at the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church. Stella was baptized at this church; her family has worshipped there for decades. At the June service, Ticha sang a hymn while Stella accompanied him on piano. This harmonious expression of devotion so disturbed the delicate racists of Pike County—the 98% white home of the infamous Hatfield-McCoy feud—that church leaders spent the next five months locked in debate. In November they took a vote and agreed to ban interracial couples from public worship.

Because Jesus only loves you if you're white and don't betray your race! What a load of bull. I thought the whole point was to be accepting tolerant and loving. As the young woman says, these are the people that should be helping her through trying times, not making them harder. I don't think you can help who you fall in love with, and I really don't think the color of their skin matters in the least. Did I miss the part in the bible where Jesus was a racist bigoted jerk or something? Video at link.

Some bad language at link; be warned sensitives.

Link

What can you expect from a sun worshiping pagan religion? lol

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This sounds like a no brainer lawsuit case against the Church for discrimination. When that racist Church is paying that couple thousands or millions in damages, maybe they'll get a clue what a sad bunch of lowlifes, and now broke lowlifes, they really are.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Just goes to show how the "church" has lost all reality with their own religion.
I think we all (or most) can agree that the "church" is the problem with religion (all religions "churches") and that the message is lost.

In my opinion spirituality is not bound by laws to be followed......

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Having read the article and looked at the video there are a few things that can be stated:

Like all things, there is another side to this story, to which we should not make a jump to conclusion or condemn the church right away. We do not know what all is going on, or the side of the Church and their point of view. Ultimately, there is one small loop hole in the entire story that will be missed here by many:

It is a church, a semi private organization, to which they can set the rules to which they operate under. While it is a shame that such bigotry exists, there really is nothing that anyone can do legally against this church, nor should they. The courts can not force them to accept members into their congregation, nor force them to accept the couple. People are still entitled to their own view points. If anything, this should be more of a warning and a reflection on the community that this church exists, that they are allowing such bigotry to continue on today, as it is the worshipers that will ultimately have to decide if they are going to stand for such or if they are going to decide that perhaps this does not represent their views of the world and find a place of worship more in line with what they believe. There is no law, no rule, no context that states a person has to worship at one particular house or not, nor should there be. We live in an age, where enlightened behavior has not caught up with all of the world, and intolerance still exists even in the USA.

But this is not the first church to spout such intolerance, there are many examples of such across the country, be it the church that the sitting president once attended with his family, to even the WBC where the words of hate are clear for everyone to understand.

Ultimately the real shame of this entire story, the real victim is not the couple who has gone through this, but the rest of the people who do believe as they do, as they will ultimately be painted and compared by the actions of these different churches, doing far greater harm than good, destroying more than their own church, but those who may have been more accommodating and accepting of others.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Wow and Jesus was a black man too. What is their problem....

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It's about time we got back to TRADITIONAL Marriage.

I just hope that the husband is beating the wife too, so that people can see what real traditional values are.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir

Pretty sad state of mind most live in.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
- Gandhi

Pretty much says it all.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir

Pretty sad state of mind most live in.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
- Gandhi

Pretty much says it all.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

It is a church, a semi private organization, to which they can set the rules to which they operate under. While it is a shame that such bigotry exists, there really is nothing that anyone can do legally against this church, nor should they.

Agreed. While I find their actions reprehensible, they have broken no law and are allowed to be the biggest asses in the world if they so choose.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
More ignorance, idiocy, and hate coming from the church.

Anyone surprised? Funny how this type of thing happens, along with pedophilia and child molestation, among other crimes, yet followers are able to justify it, and somehow accept it, to the point they continue showing up at church on Sunday, and look down on those who don't believe.

If this was occurring within a giant corporation, would people view it the same? Would they flock to that company to turn in job applications? Would they simply look the other way if a company executive was accused of molestation, or outright racism? I think not. For some reason, people can justify the crimes of the church in a manner they never would when those same standards are applied elsewhere.

Appalling behavior.

The religious, well, many of the religious, are masters at compromising their beliefs. Always seems to be some acceptable reason why a certain crime, or hateful message, was conceived, which wouldn't fly elsewhere.

edit on 30-11-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
reply to post by Domo1

It makes me ill to say the least.
I really work at not having a prejudice myself against the Christian Far Right.
It's an idealogical prejudice,They can be black white or tan.
I still have a problem with the way a lot of them think.
Like I said I'm working on it.
I would certainly never ban them from anywhere.
I hate to say it but those are some racist ****** *******.

Rest easy - you can be as prejudiced and intolerant as you please. These people choose to believe the things they believe in - the live in a free and open society - if they choose to be ignorant you have every right in the world to point it out and deride them. Prejudice is against a class of people because they just happen to be in that class is wrong. Prejudice based on what a person chooses eh not so much, it may be rude it might get you punched in the nose but you have the right to express your opinion. Trust me they are probably more judgmental of you.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Thank you Spyder , that does make me feel a bit better.
I feel really sorry for that couple, Christ would be appalled.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Yeah there really are no apologies needed when people act this way and you get pissed. I actually know some really backwards ass Christians ( women have to cover up and I think not cut hair) and they would be FURIOUS at these idiots. Not all far right Christians are bad, at least the ones that can accept other people and not always believe the same thing. These ones are though. Curse away.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
It is a church, a semi private organization, to which they can set the rules to which they operate under. While it is a shame that such bigotry exists, there really is nothing that anyone can do legally against this church, nor should they.

Think again. If I run a private business say a restaurant,
or real-estate company it IS ILLEGAL to ban people
based on orientation, culture or race.
It's ignorant enough to ban mixed families from praying
at churches, what next ? A sign at restaurants banning
mixed families too ?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

But I am correct in the statement that it is a church, and there is nothing that can be done to prevent them from doing such. No law exists or court that will be willing to take on this case. After all the Constitution of the United States of America prohibits’ the government from getting involved.

Point in case, that would be used on the side of the Church, would be the Boy Scouts of America, and its banning of gay and non Christians from attending or even being apart of its organization. This church would fall under that ruling.

There are businesses that are currently in operation that does operate with such impunity, and full legal protection in the USA, and around the world. This has been shown and seen many times in the past, while they are frowned upon, if not barred, but they do exist. Business’s such as private country clubs, ban those who are not apart of a community from using their facilities, golf courses, and even some home owners associations, all have strict rules and conducts.

Even when you mention real estate, there are some places that practice age discrimination, where if you are not say a senior citizen, you are not allowed to live there, and are only allowed to visit for a short time.
There are even groups that prohibit or do not allow or even accept members of a local community into its halls, and have been protected by the courts.

While it may seem a very unchristian like value to exhibit, such does still exist and ultimately will find that the courts will rule in their favor.

While you mention restaurants, there has been in the news here recently where signs have appeared stating that English is the only language allowed or where children under a certain age are not allowed on the premises and they too have been able to prevail in court.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I am southern and I've lived in the south most of my life. I can't image hating a person that I don't know , if I choose which people i approach in my life based on skin color , i'm going to miss out on alot. Most of my neighbors ( about 90 percent ) can't speak english , they are still good neighboors that keep their home and yard up with pride . We have to use alot of hand gestures but we still manage and we wave to one another when we go by. I can't imagine why I should hate and not want to be friendly with another person that is just wanting to care for their family. I often think who controls the lotto on which ones of us that get to be born in a place that we can CHOOSE to try and feed and better the life of our family ? Why was I born in the land of plenty and they were not. Having said that ... I do not think we can legislate the way people think. If we have ten houses on a street and a law passes saying they must rent to x amount of ________ . The other families will not automaticlly be tolerate. Resentment will build and a disaster is waiting to happen. This is true no matter what the "invading" race, religion , or lifestyle is. This pretty much comes down to someone entering your home and barking orders at you. My brother entered a market a few weeks ago seeking a part time job on the side . The man told him from go that he didn't hire Americans. Should I hate the entire Arab race ? I've had several African American doctors that employeed 100% African American staff . Would this be allowed if it was a white owned business? Last night we ate in a mexican resturant and guess what all the staff were ? Seems like people are always looking for a chance to impose their beliefs on another person. If we looked in your closet i'm sure we wouldn't come out empty handed. TOLERENCE. People move and learn at their own pace and we need to remember that.

top topics

join