It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human life vrs. getting the story out.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
When does covering "the story" become more important than the lives of reporters themselves? We are all facinated by powerful stories and the reporters who bring them to us, but I am watching CNN headline news and they are showing reporters all over Flordia covering the hurricane, in several of the reports the reporters are risking thier lives in the midst of the storm, they are in areas that everyone was evacuated. The networks are risking the lives of these people for the sake of the story. When did human life become less important than getting the story out?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Something tells me they have no probolem finding volunteers. Many residents choose to stay and ride it out also, and sit on the beach waiting for it to hit. People love excitement and the adrenaline rush.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I don't think it is a choice, they are not volunteers the reporters are told where to go. Yes they get paid for it but its still a job, if they want to keep it, they have to go. Whether they want to or not. Would you go into the middle of a hurricane if you didn't have too?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
They probably get a good bonus out of it or something. Plus I'm sure alot of them like the image it gives them of being a "tough, out in the action" reporter.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm almost hesitant to say it, but yeah
I would go down there. I wouldn't hang out on the beach, but I like riding out good storms in a nice solid concrete building someplace. The chances of being hurt or killed are quite slim for all the millions of people that are down there for it. Outer Banks had a NorEaster that went through years ago that was incredible and I felt so small compared to it. i can only imagine what a hurricaine would be like. Nature and the fury of it is amazing, and to see the power firsthand would be interesting. I'd also love to be a stormchaser in the midwest. Color me crazy.

Those people probably fight for the chance to cover the big storms. It's national exposure that can't be beat.

[edit on 5-9-2004 by RedBalloon]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I think riding out the storm would be cool too (stupid but cool) I live in the Buffalo area and we have had some really intense snow storms I remember the Blizzard of 77 for one, i was still in school so it might be that I didn't know any better but... but these people don't get to choose.

top topics

join