It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biomimicry - Intelligence In Design

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Whether you're a believer of Creation or Evolution, there's one thing that you can't DENY.

That there's Intelligence in Nature.

And it is this intelligence in Nature that a new and exiting way of dealing and solving our problems has emerge - it is called Bio-mimicry.

Revisiting this (new) field is now transforming the way we look at nature (again). In fact it is now creating new industries and new opportunities and is open to anyone who is interested in unlocking the secrets that is Nature.

As Janine Benyus said:

"adding information to matter gives it function"

But I say - adding information to matter gives function, purpose and meaning.

Question is - where did and who added the information?

Up to you to decide.

But know this - whatever you conclude it is - it is what will shape your life.

Lastly and most important of all questions to be asked:

Who deserves the CREDIT in the Design in Nature?

Chance Events or an Intelligent Creator?

Up to you to decide.

But what is Biomimicry or Biomimitics?

Well -

AskNature

What is AskNature?

Imagine 3.8 billion years of design brilliance available for free, at the moment of creation, to any sustainability innovator in the world.

Imagine nature's most elegant ideas organized by design and engineering function, so you can enter “remove salt from water” and see how mangroves, penguins, and shorebirds desalinate without fossil fuels. Now imagine you can meet the people who have studied these organisms, and together you can create the next great bio-inspired solution.

That’s the idea behind AskNature, the online inspiration source for the Biomimicry community. Think of it as your home habitat—whether you’re a biologist who wants to share what you know about an amazing organism, or a designer, architect, engineer, or chemist looking for planet-friendly solutions.

AskNature is where biology and design cross-pollinate, so bio-inspired breakthroughs can be born.

www.biomimicryinstitute.org...

Enjoy some of the videos of / about Biomimicry!

tc.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

As one very interested in Biomimicry, I really enjoyed your post, and wanted to thank you for the link to that awesome website.

However, if you really wanted to make this a topic for discussion on whether or not these organic "technologies" exist because of an intelligent creator, perhaps you should have posted some information on the darker side of nature as well so people could get a better picture of what the personality of such a being would be. Example: Darwin's argument against a "loving" creator, the 900+ species of intestinal worms that plague humanity and other animals. I find it much easier to sleep at night after I abandoned the idea that such a creature came about by design. It is far better to just accept the notion that all of the predatory and destructive side of nature is a result of survival of the fittest and natural selection, than created by some (obviously vindictive and cruel) cosmic being.
edit on 26-11-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: typo

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thieves of nature building nothing only copying. Everything is given freely and yet....

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Very cool thread OP, and one I'd love to know more about. Why try and reinvent the wheel if a certain process has already been perfected in nature. I think this is truely the way of the future and one of the ways humanity will slowly crawl out of the hole we've been digging for ourselves since the industrial revolution.

As for randomn processes or intelligent design I lie sort of in the middle. I do believe in a God of sorts, and I don't beleive in coincidence, but at the same time I don't believe in Intelligent Design as it's been presented by the majority of its proponents.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

I find it much easier to sleep at night after I abandoned the idea that such a creature came about by design. It is far better to just accept the notion that all of the predatory and destructive side of nature is a result of survival of the fittest and natural selection, than created by some (obviously vindictive and cruel) cosmic being.

That is why many atheists are mad at God and deny His existence.

The bible explains that humanity went off course early on.

According to the story God created something that is being misused.

We may not understand the design and use of these creatures at this time, someday we will.

Let me ask,

Is a chainsaw evil?

If we do not understand it's proper use and function, it could appear so.

"The Blacksmith and the Artist, reflected in Their art, They forge Their creativity, closer to the heart..."

edit on 26-11-2011 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2011 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
reply to post by edmc^2

As one very interested in Biomimicry, I really enjoyed your post, and wanted to thank you for the link to that awesome website.

However, if you really wanted to make this a topic for discussion on whether or not these organic "technologies" exist because of an intelligent creator, perhaps you should have posted some information on the darker side of nature as well so people could get a better picture of what the personality of such a being would be. Example: Darwin's argument against a "loving" creator, the 900+ species of intestinal worms that plague humanity and other animals. I find it much easier to sleep at night after I abandoned the idea that such a creature came about by design. It is far better to just accept the notion that all of the predatory and destructive side of nature is a result of survival of the fittest and natural selection, than created by some (obviously vindictive and cruel) cosmic being.
edit on 26-11-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: typo

Thanks for posting Q.

Sure there are darker sides of technology if used for the wrong purpose or used by the wrong people but majority of organic technologies is and will be beneficial if used for the right reasons. I'm sure if given the time to study the species you've mentioned, we will find a benifial use for them.

What for? Remains to be discovered.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Sounds like Reverse Enineering

Reverse engineering has its origins in the analysis of hardware for commercial or military advantage.[1] The purpose is to deduce design decisions from end products with little or no additional knowledge about the procedures involved in the original production.

Excellent thread Edmc!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

I love that song. It was written by an Atheist by the way.

As finding uses for these different creatures go, I will concede the point. Using my example of intestinal worms, there is actually alternative therapy for a bowel problem (Crohn's Disease I believe) using worms to facilitate the regrowth of mucus on the intestinal wall. There are several other examples in the study of Biomimicry that attempt to recreate certain aspects of otherwise destructive creatures. This is merely an example of the ingenuity of man, not a predestined reason for these plagues that have afflicted humanity since the dawn of our existence. That is, unless you want blind faith to rule your world perspective, then you kinda have to take that leap of mental gymnastics.

edit on 26-11-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Any good song or work of art requires an imaginative, creative mind.

The blacksmith and the artist reflected in their art, is a true statement.

The creation is a reflection of the creator.

You stated that a creative cosmic being would be vindictive and cruel.

What if He was an artist at heart, who's creation was misused?

Come on man, let My love open the door!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2

Wrong question.

The question should read WHAT, not WHO.

Once again, the OP has started threads he/she has no interest in finishing. I wonder why...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BagBing

Wrong question.

The question should read WHAT, not WHO.

Once again, the OP has started threads he/she has no interest in finishing. I wonder why...

What or who depends on the eye of the beholder.

But i guess it's obvious that it is What to you. I wonder why?

As for not finishing a thread - I dunno people seem to go away from challenging q - like u.

You disappeared from the other thread. What happen man?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dusty1
reply to post by edmc^2

Sounds like Reverse Enineering

Reverse engineering has its origins in the analysis of hardware for commercial or military advantage.[1] The purpose is to deduce design decisions from end products with little or no additional knowledge about the procedures involved in the original production.

Excellent thread Edmc!

Thanks man!

And your correct! It is indeed reverse engineering (of someone's) work.

Usually in business you get into trouble if you don't give credit to the original owner - unless you want to get the credit yourself.

Hopefully people know who should they give the credit to when it comes with biomimetic .

Cool songs man - goes with the topic!

Tc

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dusty1

Any good song or work of art requires an imaginative, creative mind.

The blacksmith and the artist reflected in their art, is a true statement.

The creation is a reflection of the creator.

You stated that a creative cosmic being would be vindictive and cruel.

What if He was an artist at heart, who's creation was misused?

Come on man, let My love open the door!

Verily my brother! You can certainly know something about an artist by pondering their art! That is why so many, like myself, believe that if there is a "creator", that it must be "cruel and vindictive". As an example, if you had "Phenomenal cosmic power!" (as Robin Williams wryly stated in the film, Alladin) would you create an ecosystem that revolved around the premise of destruction to be able to create? Would you subject all of your creation to the paradigm of the strong continuing their existence at the expense of the weak becoming sustenance for the strong? Personally, I think I could come up with a far better structure for the nature of a universe that I designed.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Bio mimicry is a very cool thing, but it certainly doesn't prove or show any evidence for intelligent design. If anything it proves humans are intelligent beings and able to study and observe things using scientific methods, then used to duplicate it to benefit us. You gotta give us some kind of credit here, as much you dislike science, it makes the world a better place, and biomimicry is a perfect example of us using science to learn from nature.
edit on 27-11-2011 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Allow me.

Viruses: ‘designed’ to penetrate a cell wall and hijack the cell’s reproductive mechanism to turn it into a factory for more viruses. Eventually the cell bursts and the viruses spread through the host to infect more cells and repeat the process until the host dies in agony.

Parasites in general, but particularly those, such as the malaria parasite, that live part of their lives in one host and part in another. One such fluke causes photophobic snails to be attracted to light, so they slither out in to the open and are eaten by birds that form the host organism for the other half of the fluke’s life cycle. Another makes infected fish jerk and twist in the water to make them visible to predatory birds. Yep, half the life cycle in the fish, the other half in the bird. Then there’s good old Toxoplasma gondi, which penetrates the brains of rats to make them attracted to cat urine; and that’s right, it lives half its life in cats and half in rats. Incidentally it affects human brains too. There are innumerable examples of this kind of thing. God seems to have a fertile imagination when it comes to dreaming up sadistic ways for parasites to make a living.

Wasps (many species) that sting caterpillars and paralyze them without killing them. The paralyzed caterpillar is placed in the wasp’s nest and becomes food for the wasp larvae, which eat it alive. Alive, the meat stays fresh, you see.

Flies that lay their eggs on caterpillars. When the caterpillar pupates, the fly eggs hatch and go through their own larval and pupal stages inside the butterfly pupa. Which, in the fullness of time, opens to reveal, not a butterfly, but a swarm of tiny, buzzing, Beelzebubian flies.

Dolphin sex. Male dolphins kidnap females and gang-rape them. As decreed by the Lord.

Want more? Plenty where those came from.

Above all: human beings who are gifted with intelligence, empathy, compassion and love, but remain slaves to the instincts and imperatives of nature red in tooth and claw, and who, unique among the creatures of this world, must live with the knowledge that they are mortal.

Anyone who believes a benevolent God created all this is living in dreamland – but hang on, I forgot, it’s all man’s fault, innit? Original sin and that. Mum gave Dad an apple to eat and so not only the entire human race, but also the plant, animal and microbial kingdoms were thoroughly spoilt and corrupted. And Almighty Nobodaddy couldn’t do a thing to stop it, in fact He decreed it – because, you see, He’s all-powerful and all-loving, but He has these rules, and He doesn’t believe in breaking rules.

The function of religion is to license men to do evil, and the scum of the Earth have always been its most devoted adherents. It is good to bear this in mind whilst dealing with creationism.

edit on 27/11/11 by Astyanax because: of fish.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

As an example, if you had "Phenomenal cosmic power!" (as Robin Williams wryly stated in the film, Alladin) would you create an ecosystem that revolved around the premise of destruction to be able to create? Would you subject all of your creation to the paradigm of the strong continuing their existence at the expense of the weak becoming sustenance for the strong?

So atheists are "glass half empty" kinda guys?

An Atheist is handed a glass of water, after quenching his thirst, he complains that the glass was only half full, and that he could have invented something better than water....

Animals should act like animals.

Humans should not act like animals.....

Personally, I think I could come up with a far better structure for the nature of a universe that I designed.

Did I just catch you monologuing?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Hi Astyanax,

So did you by chance, ponder your moral argument against nature, over a meal?

Something died so you could enjoy your food.

But you ate it anyway............

Anyone who believes a benevolent God created all this is living in dreamland – but hang on, I forgot, it’s all man’s fault, innit? Original sin and that. Mum gave Dad an apple to eat and so not only the entire human race, but also the plant, animal and microbial kingdoms were thoroughly spoilt and corrupted. And Almighty Nobodaddy couldn’t do a thing to stop it, in fact He decreed it – because, you see, He’s all-powerful and all-loving, but He has these rules, and He doesn’t believe in breaking rules.

According to the story in the bible, it was Adam's fault, he was one, of only two perfect men, to ever walk the earth.

But for one exception, He was the most intelligent human who ever lived. He was given the assignment of cultivating the planet, and all animal life would be subject to him.

Humans were not meant to die, Humans were meant to cultivate this planet, and manage the animal kingdom.

But now the garden grows wild,

the attractions run the zoo

Men act like animals,

monkey see,

monkey do.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Up to you to decide.

Is it such a dichotomy? I know many that don't subscribe to the 'Intelligent Creator' idea, but they don't believe everything came from pure chance.

Natural Selection is a form of guidance. A designer if you will, just not a sentient one.

~
Besides that; Yes, Bio-mimicry is a fascinating science. Millions of years of fine tuning, is far more capable in some aspects than what our brains can come up with. Doesn't indicate design. It either indicates a good(but not perfect) designer, or it indicates that biological evolution works well, but not perfectly.

Not very controversial when it works either way.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

I'm certainly not a pessimist. I simply have seen the artist reflected in it's art, so to speak. Even in your fairy tale about the Garden of Eden, your god made it so there were carnivores and herd animals for them to feed on. If the system were planned, then there was always meant to be suffering and death. You may find this acceptable, I cannot.
As far as your comment for Astyanax goes, I agree with his rather eloquent rendition of my argument, and would have you know that if you were to apply that comment to me also, you would be dead wrong, as I'm a Vegan. I made the decision not to kill or cause suffering to anything so that I may survive. This goes along with what I was saying previously that I could create a universe on principals other than survival of the fittest if I were in the place of your god.
That being said, your quick dismissal of my arguments without addressing what I said, instead making personal attacks, has lead my to once again abandon my efforts to bring some understanding to people of your beliefs. I don't know why I even try on these threads. I think I'm going to go debate with Buddhists. They are so much more Christ like than Christians.
Shalom

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx

Up to you to decide.

Is it such a dichotomy? I know many that don't subscribe to the 'Intelligent Creator' idea, but they don't believe everything came from pure chance.

Natural Selection is a form of guidance. A designer if you will, just not a sentient one.

~
Besides that; Yes, Bio-mimicry is a fascinating science. Millions of years of fine tuning, is far more capable in some aspects than what our brains can come up with. Doesn't indicate design. It either indicates a good(but not perfect) designer, or it indicates that biological evolution works well, but not perfectly.

Not very controversial when it works either way.

Quite fascinating indeed!

Making a material more stronger than a manmade ceramic without fire!

No pollution or any damage to the environment.

Hopefully the next generation of scientist and engineers will be more attuned to the wonders of nature and appreciate Creation more.

Sad thing is - currently many of brightest minds in the world are in one way or another involved in finding ways of inventing crating powerful weapons.

Any idea what's the military budget of the world?

Supposed that a third of this budget was moved to biomimicry, any idea what will happen to the world's energy problem?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join