It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Stoic anything

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Not that I do not feel anything when I watch that video (as I am obviously not a Stoic) but it should be noted that it is solely your opinion of what is right and wrong, or "inhuman". Opinions are subjective and relevant only to you; they vary from person to person. Some people believe death to be a wonderful experience and finally an escape from this world, others see death as terrifying and try to deny it. Who is to say which one is right or wrong? It would just be your opinion again. So, while the video is very "cruel" there are going to be people that do not care, but that is their reality and so if they believe there is nothing wrong, then there isn't (at least in their perspective). That is why we have free will and each individual responds differently to a situation. If we were all programmed to feel the same emotion to the same event, then we would obviously not have the free will that has been given to us.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Originally posted by arpgme

What's done is done. The past can not be change.

What is the difference between your view of "peace" and a psychopathic predator's lack of remorse? Both are the absence of emotion.

True peace doesn't flow from a lack of emotions my friend. That's what numbness is.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
reply to post by arpgme

What's done is done. The past can not be change.

What is the difference between your view of "peace" and a psychopathic predator's lack of remorse? Both are the absence of emotion.

True peace doesn't flow from a lack of emotions my friend. That's what numbness is.

Peace is a disposition free from stress or emotion, So, by definition true peace flows from lack of emotion.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I was curious about the similarities between Buddhism and Stoicism. From what I've read they seem similar yet Buddhism, needless to say, is far more popular than Stoicism.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

One very important difference - compassion.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Compassion implies emotion. In other to have sympathy you must feel another's emotions. Stoicism is about release all emotions and staying in a sense of peace, stillness, serenity. All emotion is attachment.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Compassion implies emotion. In other to have sympathy you must feel another's emotions. Stoicism is about release all emotions and staying in a sense of peace, stillness, serenity. All emotion is attachment.

yes all emotion is attachment
and all attachments will make you suffer in the end...
because it will either die, turn to dust or simply leave you.

on the other hand

True compassion for another being, comes from a space of unconditional love
(a state of grace )

This comes from the greater understanding that all love is one love
and all the love that I see in this world is simply my own reflection
so there for love cannot be lost given or taken away.

for I am the source of all the love that I see in this world .

I am that

for the world is my mirror (duality)

love simply is ...a state of being in grace (oneness)

and I only know when I am not in this grace

questions

How do you know when you are in it and not in a state of grace ?

What is laughter is it a sensation, a feeling or an emotion ?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by xsheep

Laughter is a physical manifestation of humor or joy. I guess that would be a feeling or sensation...

Love - A strong positive emotion of regard and affection.

Since I'm at peace/serenity, a state of lack of emotion, I'm sure that it's not unconditional love or a state of grace...

It is peace, calmness, letting things be, acceptance, detachment, serenity....

Peace is the dominant place of being...

A rock is peaceful.
A tree is peaceful.
A flower is peaceful.
An animal is born peaceful (although it may leave it's natural state of being to fight and stuff once in a while)
A human is born peaceful (although it may leave as well to worry or complain)....

But all things come from peace and will return to peace because that is the dominant state of being. That is the quality of "being", "existence", until it is covered by layers of emotion (whether bad or good)...

All is well. When you stay in peace, you let go of judgement of "positive" and "negative" of "right" and "wrong" of "love" and "hate", and from here all things are seen from a clearer perspective that can only be achieved by staying in peace...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join