It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone Check This Out!!! The future of all Electronics, Phones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm really into working and playing around with stuff like this. A while back I saw something a friend of mine was working on and I thought it was pretty cool and I'm glad I could find a video of something similar.

I'm convinced this is the future of all iPads, iPhones, Smart Phones, etc. etc.
Hopefully i'll also be really rich

Really though, I say maybe two, three years and this will be the Standard.

www.youtube.com...

Flexible Phones. The future of all electronics. Shatter Proof.
edit on 23-11-2011 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2011 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Call me when I can watch Youtube videos on them underwater.
Or at least when they can survive the dreaded "oh crap I spilled my drink on my phone, again."

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Flexible Electronics will be water proof and cordless. You would just sit it down on a pad to charge. at least thats the idea...

The problem right now is figuring out how to make a touch screen accurate on a device with changeable interface.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

Flexible Phones. The future of all electronics. Shatter Proof.

Shatterproof maybe. Indestructible, hardly. They will still be easy to break. Look at your flexible headphone cords. I can't see them taking too much abuse before they stop working properly.

It will be neat to see how that technology gets used though. I bet it will be used in some unexpected ways.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Its a neat idea.

But from the demo it looks a bit skechy to me.

The guy tried using his fingers and he was like "Oh crap!! its not working!! I better go back to just twisting my phone so it does somthing"

I do like the unbreakable part though. I bought the EVO 3D when it came out and 2 weeks later my 4 y/o knocks it off the table and then......SMASH!!!!! ugh...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

This may be off topic from the OP thread but I dropped my Nokia E71 in the toilet a week ago. To my surprise is was on when I woke up the next day. It's been disinfected LOL but it's working fine!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yeah that demo isn't the coolest one, for obvious reasons there aren't a bunch of them floating around out there. Nokia is behind a lot of other research teams.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I wasnt really impressed with that to be honest why have to twist and move something like that when you can just use your fingertip. I can see phones being watches or bracelets and transforming from wrist to a normal handset.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
as a UI designer (user interface), i can guarantee that flexing an appliance will not last in the long run. - at least not how they are showing it.
touch interface will dominate the market space for quite some time. flexing just seems like a bad idea IMO - think breaking and wearing out due to flexing.

love the innovation though.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There are several avenues for "flexible" electronics.

What you see here is standard components mounted to a flexible substrate material with an OLED screen (soon to be replaced by Quantum Dot displays, once they become marketable). This is how Wikipedia's entry looks:

en.wikipedia.org...

I call that pseudo-flexible. The material connecting the components is flexible, but the actual "chips" are not.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Here, we get into more 'real' flexible technology:

New research from Wake Forest University has advanced the field of plastic-based flexible electronics by developing, for the first time, an extremely large molecule that is stable, possesses excellent electrical properties, and inexpensive to produce

Jurchescu says plastic or organic semiconductors, produced in large volume using roll-to-roll processing, inkjet printing or spray deposition, represent the "electronics everywhere" trend of the future.

In the current consumer market, however, the word "electronic" is generally associated with the word "expensive." This is largely because products such as televisions, computers and cell phones are based on silicon, which is costly to produce. Organic electronics, however, build on carbon-based (plastic) materials, which offer not only ease of manufacturing and low cost, but also lightweight and mechanical flexibility, says Jurchescu.

That, right there, sounds very interesting to the hobbyist I am. This sort of thing - even if imperfect - could save thousands of dollars in prototyping for the hobbyist. Even if I intend to transition to 'hard' electronics, I can prototype the design on "print-out" circuits at a cost of, perhaps, a few dollars per run, as opposed to weeks of trial-and-error with hundreds of dollars in prototype runs of boards (even if you bread-board your design to death, there are always little "gotchyas" that pop up when you run an etched/lithographed board).

The prospect of being able to actually print integrated MOS-like technology is also very interesting.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I was expecting Star Wars holograms for some reason..

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
I was expecting Star Wars holograms for some reason..

So was I.

This was a demo in 2004, where's this stuff?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Motarolas new razor is going to have a coating on the electronics that makes them impervious to water one of my friends that works at the mobile department of best by told me I haven't verified the claims yet tho

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
also to add, we will be seeing gesture related UI next which is happening now.
(think kinetic)

now then, what's really in the pipes that i can't wait to see is electronic paper!
the idea is it will be able to roll up into its case for easy of transport and carrying around.
electronic paper

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
unbreakable you say?... challenge accepted.
only thing that would top the touch screen would be some kind of tech that uses your eyes to controll things. IMO

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
only thing that would top the touch screen would be some kind of tech that uses your eyes to controll things. IMO

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

So would that phone be called the "eye phone"

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Flexible electronics are not all that new...sony has had flexible screens for quite some time, and as I understand it, the next wave of 3d tv will be bent/curved using this tech.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Flexible electronics are not all that new...sony has had flexible screens for quite some time, and as I understand it, the next wave of 3d tv will be bent/curved using this tech.

your missing the part where its flexible-interactive. You could navigate/use your phone in a different way than ever before. Through Flexx.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

your missing the part where its flexible-interactive. You could navigate/use your phone in a different way than ever before. Through Flexx.

I didnt miss that part, it just isnt that new. As I said, flexible tech has been around for a while. Steps in advancing that tech is only logical.

However, this wont be the 'tech of the future'. Most things WILL go screenless within the next 20 years.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
more #e to keep people from looking at whats going on in the world!
brain washing #e!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join