It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Solar System - Size Of Planets and Stars to Scale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This video puts things in perspective.
to me feeling small and like a speck of dust, is the feeling of freedom and greatfulness
enjoy

Fastforward to 1:30 into the video to get to the good stuff..

music is from the movie "The Island" composed by Steve Jablonsky

edit on 23-11-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

It's hard to even imagine stars that are so massive. Even visualizing the size of the sun is difficult, but those other stars that completely dwarf it are monsters.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

It's hard to even imagine stars that are so massive. Even visualizing the size of the sun is difficult, but those other stars that completely dwarf it are monsters.

That's what happens to me.

After a certain size I try to comprehend the scale of the star by comparing it with other references such as a smaller star, but I can't seem to reach the point of comprehension of the scale.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Even though we can't really comprehend it, at least we can actually see it. That's the cool thing about Astronomy. You're dealing with distances and sizes that the human mind truly can't understand because it has never dealth with anything of that magnitude, but you can actually see images of the stars/galaxies or whatever it is. With physics and sciences that deal on a magnitude so small that you can't see any of the things you're describing, it's just not as exciting to study something that you can't see IMO.
edit on 23-11-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I wonder why the largest known star is not in the video.

Here is another similar video, showing Canis Majoris, a red hypergiant

edit on 23/11/2011 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
there has got to be something bigger than VV Cephei @ 2,644,800,000
that something would be some 5,000,000,000 Earth diameters across

or are we talking of something that becomes a 'white hole' after it gets that large?

i suppose that time-space would be really warped even 90 million miles away as the Earth is from our own Sun...
but at a 5 Billion mile diameter the Star that sizes 'habitable zone' would be as distant as Pluto is from our Sun..thats about where normal physics would be the dominating paradigm...

anything closer would be caught in time-space anomalies is my guess
edit on 23-11-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I love those comparisons.
It helps you understand how extremely small we are on a universal scale.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Some stars are so massive and nebulous a surface can't be determined if it is even a single star or not. Close to my avatar is a star called Eta Carinae which was thought to be the most massive star discovered until 2005 when it was realized it was at least a binary, in the massive Carina Nebula. More here.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Lol. I actually thought that your avatar was a photoshopped picture showing "god" flippin' the bird

Thanks for the info

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

People say that, but if you extend your right hand in front of you, point your index finger out, curl your thumb to the index knuckle, and fold over the rest of your fingers to your palm, it looks more like the giant football foam #1 gloves they have. In fact Astronomy Picture of the Day has a much different interpretation, it says it looks like a super hero flying with a saved victim he rescued hanging on. ?!!?

And just this morning I saw the face of Jesus in my coffee and Bailey's, and when I stirred he smiled, then vanished.

top topics

join