It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5000 Protesting Police March Through Sydney

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

www.smh.com.au

Up to 5000 uniformed police officers rallied outside NSW Parliament in Macquarie Street today in protest against the government's plans to slash compensation payments to officers who are injured or disabled in the line of duty.

Police defied orders from Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione against wearing their blue uniforms during the protest.
The president of the NSW Police Association, Scott Weber, told the rally Barry O'Farrell's government had failed to negotiate a fair deal for police off
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
5,000 is quite a large number of protesters in one city, I wonder how many arrests were made and how much pepper spray was used?

Total payments for police with psychological injuries such as post-traumatic stress disorder or depression, for example, will be cut from $569,292 to $76,787 under the proposed new scheme, which would be provided by a private insurer.

Wow, half a million dollars for post-traumatic stress or depression! I wonder what sort of timeline is considered 'normal' (if there is one at all) for recovery from these conditions? And how broad the parallels of diagnosis are? It does seem like it could be easily taken advantage of for a quick half a million.

Either way that is a hefty cut in payments but does that give police the authority to make such threats as non-response to 'day to day' incidents such as break and enters, theft etc.? Note they have indicated that they will still respond to life-threatening and emergency situations.

Are they not sworn to protect the citizens of their allocated state? Getting mugged? Take it up with the government.

If this happens, I hope the Sydney writers take advantage and there isn't an unpainted panel (of a train) in the city..but graffiti is another topic.

It is very interesting that the NSW government is proposing to also outsource this aspect to a private firm! What private firm? I'm sure that will be a fair tender process

The police have the power to bring cities, states and countries to a stand still but, if they are not going to intervene and complete their specified duties in a satisfactory manner then who will? Oh yeah, there's always the military.....

Interesting, I doubt that the bill will pass though.

For the record, I am not from Sydney! Or New South Wales! I am a Victorian in Melbourne...can't have me confused for a Sydney boy or New South Welshman for the love of God!

www.smh.com.au
edit on 22/11/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

I posted a thread on this yesterday, but not many people seemed to care about the hypocrits so I hope this thread gets more attention. People will say that police were acting on the camping but thats just crazy; anyone who supports the police's brutal assualt of protesters because they were camping is probably a psychopath. I can guarntee you that if police were camping they wouldnt get the same treatment. If the law is escelating the situation to violence over a small issue of camping then it is clearly not working. Not to mention that police are legally only able to use force when someone is in danger, so according to the law these pigs should be locked up.
Anyway, fact is they are hypocrits and I cant wait untill the government (their paychecks) go bankrupt. Then we'll see if there so quick to beat a fellow human.
Would be good to see graffiti artists take adavantage of the situtation, but they should be also using their art to spread the occupy message around the city in my opinion.

They are only hired goons for the cartel that is our government.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Double Post

edit on 22-11-2011 by WakeUpRiseUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp

I posted a thread on this yesterday, but not many people seemed to care about the hypocrits so I hope this thread gets more attention. People will say that police were acting on the camping but thats just crazy; anyone who supports the police's brutal assualt of protesters because they were camping is probably a psychopath. I can guarntee you that if police were camping they wouldnt get the same treatment. If the law is escelating the situation to violence over a small issue of camping then it is clearly not working. Not to mention that police are legally only able to use force when someone is in danger, so according to the law these pigs should be locked up.
Anyway, fact is they are hypocrits and I cant wait untill the government (their paychecks) go bankrupt. Then we'll see if there so quick to beat a fellow human.
Would be good to see graffiti artists take adavantage of the situtation, but they should be also using their art to spread the occupy message around the city in my opinion.

They are only hired goons for the cartel that is our government.

Sorry mate, I did search..the search function is working as well as ever

I don't think that writers should be spreading the occupy message at all, just take advantage and put burners on panels! That's my opinion of course but I don't support Occupy anywhere.

It is just immature of the NSW police, what if nurses, doctors etc. did the same thing?

"We're only treating life threatening ailments until you..."

It's essentially extortion.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Sorry mate, I did search..the search function is working as well as ever I don't think that writers should be spreading the occupy message at all, just take advantage and put burners on panels! That's my opinion of course but I don't support Occupy anywhere. It is just immature of the NSW police, what if nurses, doctors etc. did the same thing? "We're only treating life threatening ailments until you..." It's essentially extortion.
Yeah the search thing is hopeless.
Well I think writers have a powerful tool that they could be using to spread a powerful message, if not for only a little while. Think about it, the other side has the media and chokes our opinions out and we need to fight that every way we can. With 5000 police on the streets, I think that’s enough time for a whole train right?
Mmm it’s sad it comes to that for people like nurses, it really just proves occupy right. Because if the system was working they wouldn’t need to strike.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

With 5000 police on the streets, I think that’s enough time for a whole train right?

The thing is though, you don't need to be proficient with can control, sketching, color scheme etc. to deliver a message via spray can and simple font would probably be more effective.

Indeed, they do have the media but

"There's a city full of walls you can post complaints at!"-Mos Def
edit on 22/11/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
It's essentially extortion.

It only seems like extortion because of the importance of the job being done by police. The principle is the same as any strike situation. What would you have the officers do, just cop it (pun intended) and ask for more?

Just because your job is more important than another, doesn't mean you have any less right to protest for what you deserve. Frankly I think it's fair to say people with such important jobs have more right to protest for fair conditions - but let's just stick with 'every worker has a right to fair treatment, and a right to fight to receive fair treatment'

It does raise an interesting thought though doesn't it - who makes the arrests when the police are the ones protesting?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

The thing is though, you don't need to be proficient with can control, sketching, color scheme etc. to deliver a message via spray can and simple font would probably be more effective. Indeed, they do have the media but "There's a city full of walls you can post complaints at!"-Mos Def
True, but I still think it would be good to get the writers making their cause known, because from what I know graffiti is a product of the same problems occupy is speaking out against.
Even better, there’s a city of rampant advertising to go over

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatGuy45

I don't think that writers should be spreading the occupy message at all, just take advantage and put burners on panels! That's my opinion of course but I don't support Occupy anywhere.

awwwww! So that means I cant show up and occupy your front lawn demanding vegemite sandwiches?!?

When/If I get a front lawn, feel free. I only have a front concrete porch at the moment, but feel free to occupy it just be prepared for me to turn the hose on you at will and mandate your co-operation fulfilling the menial tasks that plague my existence. In return you shall receive three vegemite sandwiches at the regular intervals.

Come on. Keep it on track mate, no need to derail the thread.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

The thing is though, you don't need to be proficient with can control, sketching, color scheme etc. to deliver a message via spray can and simple font would probably be more effective. Indeed, they do have the media but "There's a city full of walls you can post complaints at!"-Mos Def
True, but I still think it would be good to get the writers making their cause known, because from what I know graffiti is a product of the same problems occupy is speaking out against.
Even better, there’s a city of rampant advertising to go over

Graf is a product of the Hip Hop movement and can be typified as a form of rebellion against the norm and the system in general.

The cause of writers is nothing political, religious or otherwise- just bomb the drab urban landscape with bright colors, authentically genuine individual styles and get your name up! All city!

I wish I could sketch burners (intricate, impressive, big pieces- as opposed to just a tag) let alone paint them!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Graff and hip hop go hand in hand today but I think they both sort of developed on their own accord. Although not in a commercial sense I think graff is bigger and deeper then hip hop could ever be.
I understand a lot of it is bringing colour and life where there is none, but for a lot of writers I think if they lived in a just world they wouldn’t feel the need to write. Its the world they grow up in that gives them the raw emotion that they express through art.
I use to do some wild style stuff, its all about practice. You start of with a letter and it’s just the plain letter, but slowly your idea of that letter grows until you can’t add anymore connections to it; by then your style would probably be heading in a completely different direction anyway. If your sketching the same thing over and over then it literally grows like a tree, each branch is a new style - each twig is a new connection. It’s hard to explain.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

In regards to physical injury and permanent disability on the job, the assessments and outcome of Police are somewhat to a higher advantage than our military who have been injured or died in Afghanistan. The families get kicked to the curb fast enough in the military.

As for the psychological aspect, I'm afraid those cops knew well in advance what they were up against before even joining up. Police and military is not for everybody and I'm afraid to say but many of our officers should'nt be there, many of them just don't have what it takes pychologically to deal with the aftermath of serious car accidents and murders. Dealing with coroner's inquests and working with the families is horrowing enough. On the other flip side of the coin, there are officers I'd deem with severe narcissistic tendencies and domestic violence is rife among their families of which most outsiders are not prevy to nor hear about; none of these family members receive Post-Traumatic stress payouts, and believe you me I've seen and heard some shocking cases of Police wives and children that have been bashed around by their husbands within the Police Force and Military over long extended periods of time. When these marriages fall apart, the shock and trauma of the women and kids lasts many years; whats worse, their Police and military husbands stalk them to no end threatening them with little support for these families by the Police if at all. They prefer to sweep it under the rug and turn a blind eye. Corruption in the NSW and Victorian Police is also shocking. Overall, I believe a good half of our officers are doing a fine job and should be highly commended and will always have my support.

Putting that aside, there is only so much we can do and there is only so much we can afford. People are getting injured and killed on the job every day and receive a pittence; when do we say enough is enough? There has to be a limit and a cut off point. Police officers also need to take out proper insurance policies to cover themselves privately or band together with one insurance company. Reasonable time or 12-18 appointments for psychological counselling or therapy is quite sufficiant and $77k is more than generous. In regards to injuries, permanent disability or death, thats a whole different issue and should be dealt with individually case by case, however again, each officer should take out work/injury insurance and life insurance.

I had a parent in the Police for 32 years plus those in the military, so I'm well experienced what goes on deep inside our forces.

edit on 22-11-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Graff and hip hop go hand in hand today but I think they both sort of developed on their own accord. Although not in a commercial sense I think graff is bigger and deeper then hip hop could ever be.
I understand a lot of it is bringing colour and life where there is none, but for a lot of writers I think if they lived in a just world they wouldn’t feel the need to write. Its the world they grow up in that gives them the raw emotion that they express through art.
I use to do some wild style stuff, its all about practice. You start of with a letter and it’s just the plain letter, but slowly your idea of that letter grows until you can’t add anymore connections to it; by then your style would probably be heading in a completely different direction anyway. If your sketching the same thing over and over then it literally grows like a tree, each branch is a new style - each twig is a new connection. It’s hard to explain.

Permit me to disagree man, I have been deeply immersed in the hip hop culture since a young age. Hip Hop is the movement, graffiti, rap, breaking (break 'dancing') and DJ'ing are the elements within the movement that grew synonymously from the same community and era...one of social injustice and poverty.

Graf and Hip Hop aren't separate things but one in the same. KRS-ONE sums it up perfectly;

Hip means to know It's a form of intelligence To be hip is to be up-date and relevant Hop is a form of movement You can't just observe a hop You got to hop up and do it Hip and Hop is more than music Hip is the knowledge Hop is the movement Hip and Hop is intelligent movement Or relevant movement

Thanks for the tips too! I have mates and others I know who can draw amazingly but don't paint, nor do I condone the participation in illegal activities

Originally posted by bluemirage5

In regards to physical injury and permanent disability on the job, the assessments and outcome of Police are somewhat to a higher advantage than our military who have been injured or died in Afghanistan. The families get kicked to the curb fast enough in the military.

A On the other flip side of the coin, there are officers I'd deem with severe narcissistic tendencies and domestic violence is rife among their families of which most outsiders are not prevy to nor hear about; none of these family members receive Post-Traumatic stress payouts, and believe you me I've seen and heard some shocking cases of Police wives and children that have been bashed around by their husbands within the Police Force and Military over long extended periods of time. eye. Corruption in the NSW and Victorian Police is also shocking. Overall, I believe a good half of our officers are doing a fine job and should be highly commended and will always have my support.

edit on 22-11-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

Yep, I know first hand of similar instances in families of police officers and one that sexually abused/filmed in the shower a step child..

Everyone knows that Victorian cops are a bunch of corrupt bastards..look at the actions of officers during the height of our (Melbourne's) "Gangland War".

Cheers for some insight on recovery timeframes for depression and post traumatic stress- I thought that over half a million dollars was a little more than what was required.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

www.smh.com.au

Up to 5000 uniformed police officers rallied outside NSW Parliament in Macquarie Street today in protest against the government's plans to slash compensation payments to officers who are injured or disabled in the line of duty.

Police defied orders from Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione against wearing their blue uniforms during the protest.
The president of the NSW Police Association, Scott Weber, told the rally Barry O'Farrell's government had failed to negotiate a fair deal for police off

But there's only about 6000 in the state? Is this real? So for a day only 1000 police were serving the state? or was it 5000 protesters but most weren't police? Hmmm I'm not so sure about 5000 police having a day off.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

As for the psychological aspect, I'm afraid those cops knew well in advance what they were up against before even joining up.

No person in the 000 club knows exactly what they're in for when they join. A person can be trained but until the day of the first incident you have no idea.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Yeah, I don't really know how they could reliably come up with that figure - but theoretically it could include retired police officers, the article says nothing about 'active duty'

I still think the reporter probably guesstimated the figure, but if you factor in retired officers it's certainly possible.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Yes I do have an idea, I've already seen afew. It's not a nice sight especially where young children are involved. Most civilians have no idea nor appreciate what the Police have to deal with day to day, the first is always the hardest until they see their first murder scene. It's only natural a Police officer is going to be affected by an accident or murder scene, they too are only human like the rest of us but there comes a time when you just have to get over the scene and move on, another one always comes soon enough and it's never ending. Without being too insensitive, of which is not intended, compare the scene of a serious car crash where one or more have been killed to that of a missile attack killing dozens (like in Iraq, Afghanistan & Libya), suicide bomber attack (like that in Israel, Iraq, Turkey, Russia or India) or a major train crash where many are killed and civilians help in the removal of bodies and the clean up....and they don't receive any support for post-truamatic disorder. I'm not saying our Police officers should'nt receive counselling, absolutely they should whether they like it or not, but over what period of time? You never get the picture of a horrible scene out of your mind but you have to push it aside at some point in time and move on.

edit on 23-11-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

Retired Police officers have a pretty good superannuation scheme set up especially after long service of 20+ years. However, here in Australia many Police officers only last 5 years, a majority 10 years in the Force. Very few last 20 years and rarely do they last 32 years as my father did.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join