It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebenezer Scrooge.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Are we all now days Ebenezer Scrooge?Are we better people,or we are became greedy man who are afraid of the Christmas to come becouse of the financial problems that we all have.Does our children see in each of us Ebenezer Scrooge because of the problems and stress we are facing in day to day life on work or on the street or were ever we are!Hard question,hard answer!Just look in the mirror and maybe the past beautiful Christmas we use to have, now is haunting us!

TextAt the beginning of the novel, Scrooge is a cold-hearted, tight-fisted and greedy man, who despises Christmas and all things which give people happiness
link(en.wikipedia.org...

source(thisislondon.co.uk

You tell me who we became and why..you tell me!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I am not one that gets into Christmas, I never have. I am not Christian, so it is not something that I jump on board with. However, if I take my shoes off and put another pair on I still sort of feel the same way. Christmas is not what it is meant to be nowadays. Christmas, to me, does not seem to have anything to do with the Christian religion as it once did, it has evolved into a day for the corporate greed mongers to make millions, at the expense of the Christian religion.

I might be wrong but I cannot help but to see it that way.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Christmas or Christmas Day is a holiday[generally observed on December 25 to commemorate the birth of Jesus, the central figure of Christianity.The exact birthday of Jesus is not known, and historians place his year of birth some time between 7 BC and 2 BC.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Right, I understand all of that. That is the point I was trying to make, Christmas in todays world does not seem to have anything to do with what you are stating. It seems to be more about Macy's, Walmart, JCPenny, Sears, etc etc.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Maybe its time to celebrate Christmas in a christian way and not a bankers day. Maybe its time that there are things more important than expensive gifts under trees Why do we let corporations make us feel guilty for not particpating in our own destruction by spending when we can not afford it. They are the scrooge not I. Personally I plan to sit out this day not one gift will I pertake.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I used to love Christmas when I was a kid, but I am sure that had more to do with getting all that stuff. Now that I am an adult and don't have the extra money (EVER) to buy other people stuff, I have ended up hating Christmas and dreading it.

I make sure my kids have a decent Christmas, but after that I am left down right broke. I end up making gifts (I hand paint eggs for ornaments, doing custom paintings or making goodies) but I really don't think they are really liked as much as a store bought gift. I always end up feeling embarrassed.

So.. every year around Thanksgiving the dread begins to set in, and I start feeling the guilt associated with not being able to buy gifts. This year I am selling a bunch of stuff on craigslist trying to get up enough cash to do a little better this year.

Christmas sucks for me personally.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The difference is Scrooge was a very wealthy skinflint. I don't think the case today with the average American is one of being tightfisted with their wealth. Rather, it is an absence or at least severe shortage of disposible income. Hell, most of us in Gen-X had parents who didn't have disposible income as much as they had an abundance of trojan horse-like credit cards.

"Oh credit cards, oh credit cards...
your plastic so entraps us.
In debt we spend the entire year,
so Christmas morn, the kids will cheer.
Oh credit cards, oh credit cards...
your plastic so entraps us.

we buy such crap with credit cards.
Dad can take a nighttime job,
to pay the bill for little Jimmy's kung-fu grip, walking, talking action, robotic blob.
we buy such crap with credit cards.

forever paying those damned high APRs
Am-Ex, Visa, Discover too...
all will buy crappy toys made in Timbuktu.
forever paying those damned high APRs

at least you do one bit of good.
When Christmas day is through and happy kids in bed
Dad can use you to buy enough booze to drown his dread.
at least you do one bit of good."

Copyright: Myself, 2011.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Christmas is just an excuse for capitalism to get its arse out and fart in your face.

They go the whole hog in this advert and even take Father Christmas out of the equation as all the gifts are whacked on Mums credit card.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Thank you all for your kind replies and let's try to be better people even if the times are hard

Do not spend $1.00 on two scallion pancakes.
Do not hail a ten dollar cab to blow off steam
and smoke his back seat up
and watch the meter jump by quarters.
Do not spend $7.50 on AXE HANDLES by Gary Snyder
Do not spend $35.00 on the collected anyone.

top topics

join