It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diabetics...Save Your Feet...No More Amputations...One Simple Cure

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

I'd like to hear more of what you say.

I tried the Atkins type diet for a while and found myself feeling tired and unwell most of the time.

In the paleo/low-carb world, this is described as the "low-carb flu" and is quite common when individuals switch from a high-carb to low-carb and their biochemistry begins to transition from burning primarily glucose as fuel to burning primarily fat. This feeling of lethargy and, often times, hypoglycemia can vary in length depending on the individual.

My sugars never really returned to "normal" (4-7 mmol/L range) and I had to continue with my meds & insulin to keep things in check, so I decided against continuing with the diet.

It takes time for that to happen. Your fasting glucose levels won't begin to drop significantly until you stick to the diet long enough to allow insulin receptors sites, mainly in the liver, to regain sensitivity.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by chr0naut

They are provably wrong. Diet/exercise may help diabetes, but not always. Diabetes is caused by a malfunctioning organ, or some other malfunctioning process associated with that organ (pancreas).

A low carb diet is good for someone with hyperglycemia. But with hypoglycemia, you just have to micro manage blood sugar and have contingencies covered at all times.

This is true, but mainly for Type 1 diabetics, right? I mean...Type 2 diabetics can lose pancreatic function as beta cells begin to "burn out", but this is usually a secondary effect. As the body becomes insulin resistant, the pancreas adjusts by pumping out more insulin to get the job done. The real malfunction begins in the liver for type 2 diabetics.

As hepatic(liver) insulin resistance begins, glucose can't be properly transported to the liver for conversion to fat...the pancreas reacts by secreting more insulin, which cause more insulin resistance in the liver. Overtime, this leads to hyperglycemia, or type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, however, this vicious cycle tends to progress, especially chronically, from hepatic insulin resistance to systemic, or peripheral insulin resistance. First the liver...then the muscles...then the fat cells (at which point fat is no longer gained). Usually, by this point, the pancreas is being completely overloaded as it's pumping out as much insulin as it can to lower blood sugar...this is usually when beta cells burn out.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Correct. With hyperglycemia you have to manage diet, whereas with hypoglycemia you have to really monitor blood sugar regardless of diet (but you still have to watch diet).

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join