It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite gaming system of all time?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Favorite game system of all time? Atari 5200. Hands down. There are games I'd still play and enjoy today if I could get the system up and reliably running.

The controllers and wide range of control through the number pad were what set it apart. They made some really cool game options in the 5200 games...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ADMX101

Doesn't it feel like the entire franchise has been turned into a cheesy quarter arcade game? There's no sense of achievement. You press a button at the right time and something happens. Everything seems so scripted, and the 60 fps gameplay makes everything seem hyper-real like a cartoon, and the online play is horrible. You're running around these small maps with completely invincible and static matte paintings.
In Battlefield you get the destruction, the "go anywhere" feel, the vehicles, the depth of strategy, setting traps and mines, rigging buildings to collapse, it's so frickin' fun. COD has become nothing more than a run and gun. I've played a total of about 20min online before I was screaming at the tv "WHY DIDN'T MY ROCKET KILL YOU BEHIND THAT WALL??? STOP CAMPING AND FACE ME!!"
*sigh*
You don't see too many campers in Battlefield. That's a dangerous way to play when the building is crumbling around you.

eta> I remember the furby craze. I also remember getting Teddy Ruxpin when I was 7. Another big seller in '85.

edit on 21-11-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

alsome! I myslef have been bit by the game bug at an early age.. having no brothers and a sister, and a dad that always had to have all the best toys I've been lucky to have access to all types of game systems!

I started with n-64 as a 90s child loved Mario (of course) then grew into mortal combat (jab jab jab*) and now love horror games *deadspace--CUT OFF THEIr LiMbs *-

but strangely my fave was Sega dream cast-- its really to bad it was a flop- you could really play power stone, sonic, crazy taxi, and hydrothunder for hours, not to mention the controller was quite comfortable in the hand..

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
N64 - For goldeneye

Xbox 360 as i am a Halo Whore!

My Amiga 500, Gaming system of kings!!

Now to fess up, i have a 360, had ps3, got a wii, nes, snes, master system, dreamcast, n64 and amiga in the house a few Ds's and Gameboy colour..

i only ever play the Xbox though... so i guess that answers it for you? Might be because of Halo though

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have to go with Playstation 1 as my favorite followed closely by Super Nintendo, but if computers count then PC would be #1 or #2.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Atari 2600. The first mass produced, consumer friendly and affordable gaming console. The days of hearing that satisfying "ker-chunk" while plugging in a game cartridge will always remind me of Space Invaders, Asteroids and the many different Activision games that followed.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The MATRIX.
cern.ch

APF Mark 40
Android

Doom3D
Doom4D

bombproof gameboy jpeg watcher...the game

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

Well,the only game system that I have is an Atari 7800.
I just recently found it in a box in my basement,does this
count?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
ps2 stays the best

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
After listing my favorite games, I'd have to go with the PS1. The NES has more games that I listed (by far!), but the PS1 games have more depth to them. For example, I love me some Castlevania on the NES, but Symphony Of The Night will keep me busy much longer.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
straight up, good ol' donkey kong arcade game.
best invention ever, just sayin'!

and then i'd say nintendo 64... that is when games were starting to turn around a whole new corner of amazingness and what they are today. pokemon stadium was it for me... and yoshi's story... and and and... jokes. but yay n64!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Sega Saturn bar none. I miss that stuff. Brings back a lot of memories.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Sega Genesis.

F*** yeah.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
reply to post by ADMX101

Not a worrie man its just good to know that im not the only long time gamer on here. I remember the furby haha that is goin retro. I have to agree with you about the xbox360 it is an amazing console with some awesome games. The game that first turned me on to original xbox back in the day was actually NFL fever 03 and then when the 360 came out I have been stuck on it every since. Like I said before I love the achievements more than anything, It gives me somethin more to play for than just to play haha.

"Long time gamer"

"remembers the furby", "that is going retro"

lol no.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

LOL
i hope thats a reply of sarcasm... unless of course you have a certain affinity for headaches and no fun.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonATI
My favorite has got to be the N64. So many good times and hours wasted lol. Favorite game would probably be either Mario 64 or Zelda: Majora's Mask.

majoras mask? really? imo Ocarina was waaaay better. but the music for both was EPIC

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother
I have had pretty much all of them since the NES except the PS2 and i have to say the GameCube was my favourite.

It was highly underrated and under-supplied for in the west which was a shame. I remember waiting a year for Animal Crossing GC to be released in the UK which would never happen for a major game these days.

But then again, can you take away the classic console the N64 was, classic games such as:

Perfect Dark
Goldeneye 007
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Zelda OOT/MM
Starfox 64

Its hard to choose

all great games. imo Perfect Dark is by far THE best FPS game EVER!! death to Skedr!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Don't have a favourite but I'm a Nintendo guy through and through ever since I first got the NES in the 80s which I still have and still works.

Only Nintendo stuff I never owned were the handhelds but I also like the 360 as well as the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii.

Never liked Playstation 1-3, only good games on them were the Dynasty Warriors series, WCW and WWE games (ECW games sucked cause they followed the WWF Warzone control scheme which I hated) and GTA 3 and Vice City (the only good games of the GTA series so far)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
its gonna be me huh?

first off let me say there isn't a console out there that i have not laid my hands on and wasted at least 40 hours of my life on. i beat super mario bros. when i was 4 years old... LoZ took little longer but i eventually beat that and the Master Quest.

But C'mon folks... DOES NO ONE ON HERE PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!?
or any other pen and paper RPG system?

i bring this up because your thread is titled "what is your favorite GAMING SYSTEM of all time" not "video gaming system"

D&D has provided some of the most in depth character bulding and story-telling expirences of my gaming career (i'm 25 now)

i just cant see how such a great game (wether it be the first D&D 2nd E. 3rd 3.5 or even 4th) has gone unnoticed and unrecognized...

maybe it is because readers automatically assume you mean video games.

anyway GREAT THREAD! s&f fo sho dawg.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Also, the Atari 2600 comes in very close for a favorite console, but I wonder how much of that is based on nostalgia, rather than actual enjoyment I would get from playing it today.

Random story time!

When I was a kid, we had an Atari 2600. When they first started putting out games, they numbered them. But, being a kid, I didn't quite "get" that, and thought it was part of the game's title. So we'd pull out the system and I'd say "I wanna play Twelve Street Racer!"

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join