It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. John Pike, UC Davis pepper spray cop goes viral and becomes a Meme

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

The point me and a few others here are trying to make is- if we stoop to that level, fight fire with fire if you will, then we become no better than what your fighting. Your moral high ground stops there and you become a thug then. If we want to actually change the situation, instead of just displaying our more simians traits, then we need to show the ignorant the way, not mimic them.

This reminds of what ron paul said when asked about the assassination of an american citizen. He said, paraphrasing, "we already have the framework to deal with these problems and its called the constitution. We're not a country of mob rule."

Promoting violence of innocent people, on either side, is wrong. Promoting violence is wrong period.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by daynight42

This isnt a mockery making fun of the situation, as stated in the OP, its a form of shunning or social persuasion.
It also helps bring attention to the situation and the absurdity of it. its still a better form of dealing with the problem than doxing someone and having mobs take it into their own hand. Also your making this situationoutto be another 9/11 by hearing you talk of it in these terms.

You missed all the laughing and ha ha ha's? I didn't.

Keep laughing. Have your fun. What a disgrace.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

you can go ahead and think what you want. Im not going to argue with someone who has their mind made up before actually engaging in a conversation with the person their judging.

read the OP please instead of just blindly arguing your emotions. The purpose of this thread was to see if we are witnessing the birth of a new form of social control, vis a vis these types of pic and humor. Now what you may confuse here as humor, is actually kidding. And if you read the op, you would see I tried to show how kidding is "The use of humor to pursuade people into making better decisions." There is a difference between blind pointless humor and kidding someone.

also, lets not forget the various emotional syndromes in which people display the wrong emotional states for a situation(as deemed by society). I forget the name off the top of my head, but its real.

You also seem to miss the point that no one is making light of the situation, or atleast anyone im arguing for. The point of these is to make more clear the absurdity of this police officers actions. And one of the best ways of doing that is through satire and humor. It catches on quick and spreads like wildfire, as we see with this example.

This also reminds me of a quote from either hicks or carlin i believe. something along the lines of "Comedians are the only people who can tell the truth AND get away with it".

Now at this point, since you seem to be so against this form of fighting back, I could say your probably one of the morons in this thread that's advocating violence against the police now. But then -> I'D

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

edit on 25-11-2011 by Areyoupeopleinsane because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I have been searching the internet to find out what, if anything, happened to LT john pike? Was he fired or just placed on temporary leave until the storm blew over.

Anyone know what became of this story?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
All I have found is that he was "let go" and no longer works for the university.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

Thanks for the update. I couldnt find anything recent about this event in the news.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Just had another quick look around and found this:

The campus police officer who pepper-sprayed students during an Occupy protest at the University of California, Davis, has been fired despite being cleared of wrongdoing by an internal affairs investigation.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Apparently he acted in a reasonable manner according the the internal affairs investigation lol

Thankfully the university and the world didn't see it that way and the clown was fired.
edit on 2-9-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
What they should do is just arrest them. Then ship them off to china to work for meger rations in a sweet shop factory. And if they don't work then they don't eat. Practice and test out a real live black bag operation.

edit on 2-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

such hypocrisy no?

He was fired. Yet it was determined that he did nothing wrong?

Those two statements do not logically fit together, IMO!

sounds more like an under the table agreement.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join