It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to become a race car drive with out cash?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
yes i am broke as a joke

I beleive, i have what it takes to become a race car driver. NOT NASCAR.

touring or rallye maybe even drifiting, but i really wanna do is circuit tracks.

btw im not just being cockie but i really dobeleive i have what it takes... i been driving for about 3 -4 years and trust me i came close to crashing and doing stupid things while driving but then my race car moves kick in and save me from an accident or DEATH!

not only doi cut corners like a made man but i also can dodge traffic like a monster

lol

i dont have the funds to join a track cause its about $250 for 2 or 3 days but honestly if you put me in a track and give me a car i beleive i can beat the guys time or pass a few racers meaning i wanna get sponsored.

i think its my calling for racing but i dont have $10k for racing school nor do i have $250 every week.

please someone help me

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by burntoast

Surely it doesn't cost $10,000 just to get a race license?

If you can get your license cheaper, have a look around for lower division type races. Here in Australia people are looking for drivers and you need to go and test with the team to prove your worth.

First, you'll need to mature a bit though mate because racing is about mental fortitude too.
edit on 20-11-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I wish I knew how to help you but I'm just too poor and stupid...

Edit: Seriously though - good luck - I'm going to follow this thread to see if anyone has any good advice...I'm in the same boat & wish I had the cash to give it a shot (not NASCAR though lol)
edit on 20-11-2011 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
i wouldnt mind traveling there and trying my all.
thanks for the headsup btw is there a website where i can check them out or send them a message

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

i been driving for about 3 -4 years and trust me i came close to crashing and doing stupid things while driving but then my race car moves kick in and save me from an accident or DEATH!

i think that comment says it all.

being awesome on forza and getting out of tankslappers on your way to work does not mean youd be a good racing driver. you might well be, i wouldnt know but untill you win the lottery sadly i dont think you'll find out.
but good luck anyway.

(ps i want to be a racing driver too)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Start small!

First, go to your local family fun center or amusement park and get a job there. When everybody leaves for the night, jump on the bumper cars and learn away!

After six months of bumber cars, move your way up to go-karts.

Then, after you have mastered those skills, steal one of the go-karts and sell it for cash.

Take the cash and rent "Talladega Nights" on DVD - There is some real good advice in there for you!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Yea easiest way is the track , race some local chumps and make name for your self eventually someone will bite.

If you have a part time job , put away the not needed habbits (mary j , smokes , booze , strip club , asain massage , dates , and make home meals) till you can afford to play on the track .

But hey if i become rich i would pay to have you race some guys . If you did good then we could move on up

Pesky money , need money to make money! lol

I think i would smoke you though espically through traffic , i'l show you turns you didn't know existed :p lol

Good luck champ.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Firstly, kudos for your enthusiasm but you will need to start winning races before sponsors will take a look at you (so they know they are making a good investment). Also from the sounds of it you need some track experience before you can start partaking in races.

Dodging traffic and cutting corners is vastly different to circuit racing and unfortunately there aren't any "fast tracks" to success or paths that don't involve living on ramen while the rest of your income gets sunk into your car. For circuit racing you will need to know not only the various racing techniques (left foot braking, heel-toe, double clutching, slow in fast out, lift-off oversteer etc) but you will also need to know how to set your car up (suspension, tire selection, chassis re-inforcement, strengthening & tuning the engine so it doesn't grenade on you etc).

I'm in a similar boat, I want to get into circuit racing but after doing all the figures, I just simply can't afford it. You will need a junker car to start off with (Miata, Cyborg Mirage or a Civic with a B18/K24 swap are good starting points), along with all the tools to repair the beating it's going to take. You'll also need to know how to build/modify an engine (even if you don't modify it yourself you still need to know what you're talking about), fix body panels and repair fibreglass. Joining a car club can help if you don't know how to do any of the above (like me).

You also need to make sure the car you race isn't your daily driver. If it is then you're going to be in a world of hurt because you'll be blowing the engine and destroying body panels on a semi-frequent basis (cable ties are your friend ^_^). Once you get serious you'll want to turn your beater into a full blown track car. That's going to make it unroadworthy, so at that point you'll need to buy a trailer to get it to the track. You will also need to budget at least 2 sets of tires for each race, 2 tanks of gas and 'emergency money' in case you need to hire a tow truck to get it home.

If you have a good mate you might be able to save costs by going 50/50 in a car but be prepared for arguments over who pays for repairs... all in all if you want to be a race driver, racing has to be your lifestyle, not a hobby due to the financial burdens it will put on you until such times as you've proven yourself worthy of being sponsored. Be prepared to get in lots of debt, live on noodles/canned food and work two jobs..one to pay bills, one to pay for the car

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I wish i was a race car driver.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
how much vagasil have you consumed?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Just build up a track car, spend some track days at your local track, get involved with smaller races and apply for sponsorship's. Sponsors at first are not going to pay you, but they will give you sweet deals for using their products and advertising. Once you acquire sponsorship's stay on the racing scene, network with other drivers and teams. It takes time, and does still take money. Just got to save up. the best things in life don't come easy, just like racing.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Best of Luck to you but it isn't easy to get a drive. As you can see in many forms of Motorsport "Money speaks louder than talent"....

I have a really good friend of mine who has been trying to get into Rallying but due to lack of funds he has had very little interest. And being in his mid 30's now means his time is gone. I have crewed for him on almost every occasion and He is much more talented than a lot of professional drivers. I have personally seen him outdrive Scott Pedder who "if you know anything about the Australian Rally Championship" is right up there with the best rally drivers in Australia.

Best advice I can give you is try and get a job working with a crew somehow and maybe, Just Maybe you might be lucky enough to get a chance to show your talent.
Also, Racing is all about consistency. There is no point in being able to do X racetrack in X seconds for one lap. It needs to be X seconds for every lap...

Best of luck....

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
First thing you need to do, is to stop driving like that on the street. You will end up hurting people.

My advice would be to seek out a car club.
They offer track days where you can take your own well maintained vehicle, on to a race track where you can apply the theory you have learned as a member of that club.

It can be awesome fun, but it must be taken seriously.

Good luck ... and keep it off the streets.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

One gamer will get the chance of a lifetime, a chance to become a pro race car driver

Believe it or not Gran Turismo 5 has a racing challenge called GT Academy where you can meet other drivers and compete until the winners of these series eventually end up racing real race cars AND eventually the winner earns a sponsorship and joining a racing team to boot.

Sony Computer Entertainment America and Polyphony Digital Inc., in collaboration with Nissan North America, introduce GT Academy, the ground-breaking competition which will give one person the opportunity of a lifetime to become a professional race car driver.

For someone who is truly gifted at the skill of driving I feel that this would be a excellent opportunity especially if one looks at the minimal cost necessary in which to get involved with it.

I am a long time racing fan as well and purchased a PS3 exclusively for this driving sim and the competition.

You will need a decent wheel and pedal combo for real driving and competitive times but all in all you could be driving and competing for about $400.

$250. for the PS3 $100. for a decent wheel and another $50. for Gran Turismo or about $400.....considerably less than the cost of a single weekend of racing real cars...where excess of $400. would be spent on a weekend of racing on tires alone...not to mention other costs....such as fuel and brake pads. Helmet suit gloves and boots...

The thing about racing is that there are lots of rules...and the officials will not allow you on the track if you violate a single one of them...for example if some of your equipment isn't up to spec.....gloves don't meet the latest standards/code....I kid you not.

The good thing is that based upon the times you record on the various tracks you can readily assess where you stand compared to other drivers world wide and see how good you really are.

Good Luck !

us.gran-turismo.com...
edit on 22-11-2011 by nh_ee because: Live Free or Die

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I am a major car and racing fan and another way to get into the racing scene and potentially get your foot in the door is to work at your local race track.

I began by working corners as a corner signal flagger. That is where you signal the racers if there is debris or an obstruction such as a cars air damper or a spun out car stalled or laying in the middle of the track around a blind corner.

You can then get in the paddock area of the track and chew the fat with the racing teams and drivers.

You also get to take your own car out for laps on the track after all of the racing is done for the day.

Driving on a road course fast is completely different from driving on roadways especially when driving at the limits.

That is why I recommend trying it on Gran Turismo 5 first because you can walk away from a crash unscathed if you blow it where as in real life you cannot.

Also you dont risk damaging or even totaling your car which is very important unless you enjoy walking.

Which is a much more sensible way to learn how to drive at the limits and to later get into racing.

$400. isnt that much for hand and eye coordination and driving experience.

The driving experience is very realistic and well worth it.

Peace

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Gran Turismo 5 is a driving simulator.

I know many are disregarding the concept of using a so called game for driver training but one has to realize that Air Force and Airline Pilots practice learning how to fly different models of aircraft by using what are called Simulators....the same applies to Truck drivers who are also tested in how they'll respond to different weather and traffic scenarios...for practice.

I myself have taken defensive driving courses and this game really test your skills.

But here's an example of what you would be up against and as to why I feel that driving on a track is completely different than driving on roads that are designed for safety.
Racing tracks are designed to deceive you...and why it's better to practice and Learn before you go out and risk your life doing so.

This is an example of a Ferrari Gran Prix race car on the famous Nurburgring racing circuit in Germany....accurately recreated down to the trees along the course IMA...see if you can keep up...

Here goes: I'd recommending watching it in High Def (1080p) from the YouTube Link provided for more realism.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
You can be if you have good racing skills. For that you will have to be passionate to this profession. As far as I think there might be some organizations that need such racers that can’t afford that much money to join but have great racing quality that a professional actually needs.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
yes i been on a hunt for a sponsor for racing but honestly i have no track time due to funds....

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Another good track car to get on the cheap is a fox body mustang, they're plentiful, the aftermarket is flooded with go fast goodies, and they're pretty successful amateur track vehicles.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
i used to race 'SCCA Solo Two'.
it is 'passenger car' racing done, legally, in large parking lots in the usa.
no, it's no NASCAR, but it's fun and can be quite competitive.
www.scca.com...
it WILL also teach you some respect with reguards to driving on the street.
local events require no license, i think they used to cost $15. your car must pass a saftey inspection and you need a D.O.T. helmet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join