It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted Texas lakes expose ghost towns & graves.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

what an amazing find seriously its simply amazing and i love reading about this stuff....

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

I just want to pull what little is left of my hair out when watching Gold rush Alaska.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I guess it just reinforces how cyclical weather is.

IRM

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Corners of coffins can be seen? I am not drinking that water; aka rotgut.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Imagine if the current oceans around the world replaced the land and the land underneath the oceans would reveal
I mean there is finite amount of water on Earth. The only way to create more land would be for the Earth to spew more lava (though this would make the earth little hollower everytime it did). I would assume thousands of ships but definitely ancient civilizations would be revealed.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Now remember Texans that climate change is a natural occurence so if you die of thirst it was meant to be.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

LOL yeah God's will. i like that.
edit on 21-11-2011 by lokdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by lonewolf10
Its funny. If you have a degree your an archaeologist. If not your a looter. I don't really see the difference. They're all in it for the money.

Interesting point.

But, while one sells or donates the items for historical keeping, the other sells it to private collectors for personal gain only. The collectors with money are then the only ones to have access to the history that should belong to all.

I think that's the real crime.

edit on 20-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Thats true, but unfortunatly i think the governments and corporations who fund them also take many artifacts they dont want us to see aswell.

edit on 21-11-2011 by kman420 because: quotes didnt work first time properly

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Its funny. If you have a degree your an archaeologist. If not your a looter. I don't really see the difference. They're all in it for the money.

So true, I went to school for that, they are all wanting money, I was there to be like Indiana Jones. But that's movie stuff because they hated the s _ _ t out of me and I left.

BTW: These people were drinking people? Water > Drink > Graves?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

reply to post by lonewolf10

Actually; Archaeologists have to fund digs so it costs them money or they have to raise the funding. They go through the proper channels ie: Contacting the government for permission and may not get to keep even one thing they uncover worth anything of value. What they do get, is a better understanding of history, photos and maybe a few pieces not quite valuable enough for the country of origin but perhaps value enough to go toward funding other digs or to sit in their private collection. I doubt it's all India Jones. Comparing an archaeologist to a looter, a common thief is a bit of an insult!
Keep in mind that without archaeologists we would be ignorant of much of our past.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerVerboten

So true, I went to school for that, they are all wanting money, I was there to be like Indiana Jones. But that's movie stuff because they hated the s _ _ t out of me and I left.

With an attitude like that no wonder they did. I "went to school" for that, too. I've NEVER met an archaeologist or anthropologist who was "in it for the money" because you know what? There is no money there. A graduate archaeologist has almost zero chance of finding a job in the field. There are ten applicants for every professional position, which requires a PhD. People who are "in it for the money" go to business school, or engineering, or IT where there are actually jobs after they graduate.

The "Indiana Jones" sterotype is exactly what they do not like because Indian Jones is a treasure seeking pot hole digger. It might make a good movie, but his antics are anathema to any professional archaologist. Those people wreck everything they touch for the sake of chasing the buck.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Clearly, not that long ago the water level was much lower, to the point where they buried the dead there.

So it's possible that the area has been flooded for a hundred years and is now subsiding to it's normal levels...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Now remember Texans that climate change is a natural occurence so if you die of thirst it was meant to be.

Well the lakes were not there before MAN damned the rivers.

Texas was ALWAYS dry.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Sorry for taking some time to get back on this Jude. The story I was told by my Great Grandmother was as follows.

During the construction of Buchannan Dam, requests were sent to all surviving heirs of people buried at the origional Bluffton Cemetery. Supposedly you had to have the approval of family for exumation to take place and relocation to the current Bluffton-Tow Cemetery. All marked graves were supposedly exumed except for that of a child who had no other living relations. So he was all that remained. I have no supporting documentation to confirm this, just that my Nana was a DOTC Historian.

I searched for the grave because I had some friends who supposedly found it in the early to mid 90's during a mild drought that put the grave some 15 feet below the surface at that time. I was told that it was from the 1800's and at that time I harbored a morbid curiosity for old grave stones. There is a feeling that comes with touching something so old, a monument to another human being that did in fact exist. It is as if by touching their monuments I acknowledge their existance. It is as if I am touched by their memory.

Again, thanks for this.

My mistake, my Nana was a Daughters of the Republic of Texas Historian, not a Daughters of the Confederacy Historian.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Bobaganoosh because: my bad

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join