It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time is Infinite. So if time is infinite...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
There was either a beginning or something which always was, which implies time is infinite.

No matter what catalyst for the beginning you subscribe to or can even dream up, there either needs to be something which precedes it or this catalyst is eternal. In either case time is infinite.

There is no way around this, it must be fact.

So if time is infinite...

Seriously what are the implications of time being infinite? Thanks

I should clarify and say that any action implies time exists and us being here implies action.

I'm really confused but just want to hear what you have to say.
edit on 20-11-2011 by soldita because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Its means...

WE KNOW NOTHING!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Time is nothing but a measure of the changing positions of objects in space, and as any scientist, mystic, or lunatic knows that in the beginning there were no objects in space.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by soldita

It means there's no accounting for existence.

It means everything should have happened already, so why the hell are we here, now?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

There was either a beginning or something which always was, which implies time is infinite.

Your assumptions are incorrect.
Simply because something always was does not necessarily imply that time is infinite.
It simply means that we, living within time, have difficulty conceiving of something not constrained by time... like a being in a 2d world trying to understand a sphere.

Personally I believe that time was created... created by God. A God who is truly infinite. He is outside of time; time is a mere construct that we exist within; we measure our days, years, lifetimes according to the patterns of time, which makes it difficult to conceive of something existing outside of that. We're also not assisted by the fact that we literally don't know what exists (or how it exists) outside of time...

but that doesn't make it an impossibility... simply something we can't comprehend.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Time doesn't exist, we invented it to measure the differences between matter at different stages.

35 "years" ago the matter I was made of looked a certain way, today 35 "years" later I look different, we all live in the present, time is like a bookmark you put in a novel, a marker so that you can reference the past and to an extent the future.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by soldita

A freaky thing is,there can be a beginning and end but infinity between. Between 12:00 and 12:01 there are a infinite amount of moments.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I get we don't know anything and I should have clarified in the OP that these ideas can and should be extrapolated to the highest dimension (whatever that is), if that makes sense.

But wouldnt any type of creation imply action and any action imply time and once time exists in the largest extrapolated dimension wouldnt it always exist?

Im really very confused but I guess that's the nature of the beast, but I do sincerely appreciate all your replys.
edit on 20-11-2011 by soldita because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by soldita

Big bang or no, time or no, it's still stuck in the middle of infinity..

ah what time is it?

If i'm not mistaken, there is no time, just the timeless eternally unfolding present moment, here at the apex of the whole mountain.

I am the end of time, the true self in the midst of eternity is, I have become convinced of it.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeussusZ
reply to post by soldita

A freaky thing is,there can be a beginning and end but infinity between. Between 12:00 and 12:01 there are a infinite amount of moments.

Heck, between 12:00:00 to 12:00:01 there are an infinite amount of finite moments.

Just as with Infinite, there are infinite degrees of finite.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
There is no finite which becomes a finite nothing, since it's nothing in particular.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It means nothing "is" untill you THINK.

Everything "is" but still isnt unless its witnessed.

The world works in half truths, paradoxes.
edit on 20-11-2011 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I'm perfectly content knowing I could be wrong when I say this, but I've always believed the following:

If time is infinite and matter changes, then all that can happen, will happen and has happened.

We're just stuck perceiving this moment, this way, because of the way we're made, this time around.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking once said something like: "Asking what happened before the beginning of time is like asking what its like one mile north of the north pole."

There is no barrier, you can keep going north without encountering any kind of wall, yet as you get closer and closer to the north pole, the distinction between north and the other directions "fuzzes out."

Perhaps if we could look back in time something similar would happen...the ideas of "before" and "after" might become just as hazy, and time's arrow might lose its way.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
the ideas of "before" and "after" might become just as hazy, and time's arrow might lose its way.

Already has.

The new arrow points up, not from left to right.

We are only just beginning to understand this and what it means, but it's happening.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thepresenttense

Wow thanks. Simple and crazy

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Well thank you everyone much food for thought

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
Time is nothing but a measure of the changing positions of objects in space, and as any scientist, mystic, or lunatic knows that in the beginning there were no objects in space.

...which means there was no space for nothing to hang in....... which also means there was no big bang. !!!!!!

Anyone else thought that through?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Believing that time is infinite is the opposite of the big bang and more of a quantum physics theory of time.

The Big Bang theory states the Universe expanded as space and time... 13.75 billion years ago...what was around before that? We don't know...

If we could prove the Big Bang Theory to be wrong or slightly inaccurate then we would have something.
As the particles are moving around inside atoms creating matter and energy, some particles have interesting characteristics where they cannot occupy the same space at the same time. This is how some particles move around in atoms. Atoms make up molecules and molecules make up actual physical objects. So we are talking about tiny stuff, down to the "quantum level".

Now scale this up to observing the Universe. If certain quantum particles are moving around all the time and they cannot occupy the same place at one time, then that means the particles that make up our reality are really moving around at all places all the time.

So that means, the past, present and the future are all happening at once, at the same time, all the time. As we observe the Universe we only observe one state, the present. We don't observe all the other places all these particles could be, if we do observe we only observe one state that they would occupy as we observe.

What this implies is parallel dimensions. They potentially exists, but we can't observe them, yet. The scientific evidence for parallel dimensions existing is due to quantum physics.

So if time is infinite, then as I type this at 2:30 in the afternoon, then there are infinite 2:30 in the afternoon's and I could be doing an infinite amount of things. However, physically I only observe one state of 2:30 in the afternoon.

Quantum physics teaches us that if we had the technology, we could observe a different possibility for 2:30 in the afternoon, which would be entering a parallel dimension.

But right now we are only talking about studies in a lab and not opening up wormholes and what have you. We aren't there yet.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One

It means there's no accounting for existence.

It means everything should have happened already, so why the hell are we here, now?

cuz if we weren''t
we wouldn''t be here

edit on 20-11-2011 by thebestnr1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join