It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity, REDEFINED.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

then why ask a question you don't want an opinion on, but you want people to just 'infer' what you mean? Can't you have original thought by yourself?? No, you don't stop being a murderer.. & when you die God throws you into a burning lake. There, something for people who have killed, to look forward to! There are people who are in that situation... & you use it to try to prove yourself deep & meaningful , asking abstract questions so people will answer in 50 ways, none of them correct, to what you were actually asking, then you can laugh at THEM for being stupid?
Allegory is a demonstrative form of representation explaining meaning other than the words that are spoken. So, what were you representing. I answered allegorically!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by honestyblaze

then why ask a question you don't want an opinion on, but you want people to just 'infer' what you mean? Can't you have original thought by yourself?? No, you don't stop being a murderer.. & when you die God throws you into a burning lake. There, something for people who have killed, to look forward to! There are people who are in that situation... & you use it to try to prove yourself deep & meaningful , asking abstract questions so people will answer in 50 ways, none of them correct, to what you were actually asking, then you can laugh at THEM for being stupid?
Allegory is a demonstrative form of representation explaining meaning other than the words that are spoken. So, what were you representing. I answered allegorically!

What are you getting bent over?? Take a few chill pills and if you decide to stop talking to me like a 4 year old let me know. Cheers.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
has the preacher /teacher thrown in the towel already?

we were due to get a parable yesterday.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Does someone convicted of murder stop being a "murderer" when they've been on death row for a few years?

I knew I should have rephrased that to, "I turned to a life of sin, I got saved, I am still in a life of sin." But, as things happen, it took very many hours before I again had the leisure of sitting at my desk (that stuff happens).

To quote the OP:

to this day, i fall into the cold grasps of temptation and feel the holy spirit that lives in all of us slowly deteriorating as i commit more sins. I am a sinner. I lust and have my addictions and faults. I am a son of disobedience. I repent for my sins but still commit sins to this day. i am weak.

Your rhetorical question may apply to my original misphrasing but not to the actual experience of the OP. As others have remarked, this displays a pattern of what is commonly understood as "Christian experience", quite conventional and not a re-definition.

Here's a quote from wikipedia about John Bunyan 1628-1688

John Bunyan
In his autobiography, Grace Abounding, Bunyan wrote that he led an abandoned life in his youth and was morally reprehensible as a result. However, there appears to be no outward evidence that he was any worse than his neighbours. Examples of sins to which he confessed to are profanity, dancing, and bell-ringing. The increasing awareness of his (in his view) un-Biblical life led him to contemplate acts of impiety and profanity; in particular, he was harassed by a curiosity in regard to the "unpardonable sin", and a prepossession that he had already committed it. He was known as an adept linguist as far as profanity was concerned; even the most proficient swearers were known to remark that Bunyan was "the ungodliest fellow for swearing they ever heard".

In his book, he went on about "bell ringing" which puzzled me no end when I read it as a youngster. Now I realize it was a religious taboo among the Reformed Baptists that he grew up with, that the bells in the Anglican Churches were sinful. Shouldn't a re-defined Christianity include pointing out religious taboos and other such superstitions?
edit on 21-11-2011 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by honestyblaze

'The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one'. Governments are the Beast in revelation. They will be destroyed for their wickedness to man.
I think you are wrong, whatever it is you are saying since you are so ambiguous. The fact that you give literal credibility to Revelation is a hint that you probably envision some sort of an end of the world scenario. The reason the world is so screwed up is by people wishing for the end of the world so they have a good excuse for doing nothing. We have been in the end of the world since the crucifixion of Jesus. We are supposed to be participants in sweeping away the evil one from ourselves and then the world, then that old world will be gone.
edit on 21-11-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

lol, funny because it is somewhat true... BUT, believe it or not, i now see your comment and other people derailing the focal point of the thread with their arguments as CLARIFYING in this time of cloudiness.. it shows a lot of people that thirst for truth, but some do not have the humility to be wrong, which i am a victim of due to prideful nature.

when i first saw the increase of posts in this thread, i assumed that a lot of people were posting for the sole (no pun intended) purpose of learning together, so there would be no division in the body of Christ... boy was i wrong... i was honestly distraught with so many people mocking and not giving the respect they would want to be treated with, kind makes me want to thank God for this...

and... i am only urging you to continue viewing this thread for the main purpose of studying... how can i save you when i am a servant of God? salvation is through Christ, not me silly!... i just want to hold your hand (figuratively, skip) on this adventure together...

BUT... i do not want to dive into the Word this moment because of the situation i am in... although i am a witness and partaker in the Holy Spirit, i still cannot live my daily life in the path of righteousness by God because my faith is weak, but i have hope that is continuously growing everyday, even in the tiniest increments .. i do not want to be in the mind state of a holier than thou hypocrite.. i ask you to give me some time before we start... but if anyone is willing to start the parables, please feel free to do so....
edit on 22-11-2011 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

In his book, he went on about "bell ringing" which puzzled me no end when I read it as a youngster. Now I realize it was a religious taboo among the Reformed Baptists that he grew up with, that the bells in the Anglican Churches were sinful. Shouldn't a re-defined Christianity include pointing out religious taboos and other such superstitions?
edit on 21-11-2011 by pthena because: (no reason given)

yes... to point out religious taboos and other superstitions will be one of the secondary issues that will be discussed in this thread... one key superstition that pops into my head is suicide, whether its unforgivable or not..

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

but if anyone is willing to start the parables, please feel free to do so....

I was tempted to do so when you started this thread, since i created a similar thread almost a year ago, but it got very little attention. I didn't want to derail your thread either

Though since i've yet to see a parable as of this point, allow me to give you a starter...

minus the Christian theology of course

Parables of Jesus...

Lets see how this goes from here

edit on 22-11-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

yes... we will start from a clean slate, without having any predisposition of doctrinal thoughts...

if you want to start with the parables, please start with one. and then type in all the references that pops up during the specific parable so one can see the harmony of the word and how scripture backs each other up...

akragon its ALOT of work... thus the reason i havent started yet
edit on 22-11-2011 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

my friend, i've studied all the parables in detail...

my only question is... why would i use references from someone elses inturpretation of them?

Do you take another mans word for what you read?

I do not... so if i offer a parable it would be my own inturpretation of it, and no one elses

And i did cover a few of them in my thread

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

to address congruency issues and to study the bible as a whole...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
This site seems to have been infiltrated by a group of christian commados recently.

Somebody comes on , tells us their name and how the holy ghost has moved into them and they suddenely feel the urge to tell everybody how wrong they are and how they must follow christ.

of course your beliefs are right and everybody else is wrong.
religious people are so funny.

this is not a church.

I agree JohnySeagiull, but some seem to think this is a church, or something. I wish Christians would wake up some, and climb out of that box they live in.

I think the forum is called - Offtopic, Religion, Faith and Theology .

My only question is why all the atheists hang out in here..

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

I used to be the bellringer as a kid for the United Church of Canada, and I wouldn't stay for church and one time wore my Black Sabbath t-shirt when ringing the bell.

seeing as some are confessing I figured I might as well throw that into the mix..

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join