It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the most reliable gps app for iPhone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm looking for the best app for iPhone 4 for walking or hiking in the bush in Canada ? Hopefully an app that doesn't rely on tower location . Thanks in advance !!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rick004

I would just go the old fashioned route and get a map and a good compass.
Gps can fail or be inaccurate and you don't want to put your life in an electronic device that may fail and leave you in a tough spot.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I use MotionX GPS on my iPhone 3GS and am pleased. It will work off network as long as you download maps to your device.

See more here: MotionX GPS

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by rick004

I would just go the old fashioned route and get a map and a good compass.
Gps can fail or be inaccurate and you don't want to put your life in an electronic device that may fail and leave you in a tough spot.

Good advice, but it doesn't hurt to have both. A friend of mine was hiking last weekend and due to magnetic ore in the bedrock he was above his compass was wildly inaccurate, however his iPhone GPS and handheld GPS both worked.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well last week I went to colorado, and on the way back my gps app decided it wanted to take me through nebraska instead of shooting across kansas and added an hour and half. And the map feature worked, till I wanted to zoom out. So ya like what was said before, I would recommend a map and compass. GPS on the phone is more an aid and still unreliable IMO

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I will ditto on the proper and ever reliable use of a topo map and a solid land compass.

However, if you must use your iPhone consider taking it a step further by using the Spot Connect.
www.findmespot.com...

It turns your phone into a Satellite communicator and also serves as an emergency beacon and tracking device.

This is the basic tracking model that is very popular with small plane pilots navigating the vast openness of the West.
www.findmespot.com...

new topics

top topics

join