It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milwaukee Runs Provocative Ads to Wake Parents Up to Dangers of Co-Sleeping

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The second-leading cause of infant mortality in Milwaukee is SIDS, or sudden infant death syndrome, which often results from ”unsafe sleep,” according to the health department’s website. A form of “unsafe sleep” is bed-sharing with parents.

link

Congratulations Milwaulkee on spreading innaccurate disinformation and fear, and trying to seperate babies from their parents.
The cause of SIDS is unknown. The thought is that it is a heart defect or an inability for the baby to rouse themselves in a crisis. In fact, co sleeping when done properly, reduces SIDS.

There is less SIDS in co sleeping cultures.

Milwaukee needs to be charged with un-safe advertising. And stop getting kickbacks from the crib companies.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
There are plenty of documented cases of infants dying from being smothered in bed by a sleeping parent rolling over on them, or accidentally putting a pillow or blanket over them. If you have evidence to the contrary that shows there is some benefit to allowing a fragile sleeping baby to share a bed with a sleeping adult then by all means present the links. SIDS is a catch-all for unexplained infant deaths, many accidental deaths are attributed to SIDS rather than careless parents.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I don't really think spreading the message that a kid should sleep in their crib is considered "unsafe" It may be propaganda, but it's not unsafe advertising.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Aside from the SIDS issue...I think parents and babies are better off sleeping alone. Both parties need mental fortitude. Parents can gain that from having a few hours alone at night while baby sleeps; babies gain it from learning it's ok to be alone for a few hours.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Co sleeping is soooooo dangerous! I know when my son was born i had to fight the urge to allow him to sleep in bed with us because i just wanted to hold him forever but the risk far outweighs the reward. Even if the article is missinformed the message is still solid. DO NOT SLEEP WITH YOUR NEWBORN.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I co-slept with both of my little ones.

It can be dangerous if the parent is under the influence of drugs or alcohol of if they are very over weight, though.

Do I wish I did things differently? Not at all..

reply to post by SavedOne

Decreases risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Worldwide research shows that the SIDS rate is lowest (and even unheard of) in countries where co-sleeping is the norm, rather than the exception 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Babies who sleep either in or next to their parents’ bed have a fourfold decrease in the chance of SIDS 10. Co-sleeping babies actually spend more time sleeping on their back or side 1 which decreases the risk of SIDS. Further research shows that the carbon dioxide exhaled by a parent actually works to stimulate baby’s breathing 11.

Safer than crib sleeping The Consumer Product Safety Commission published data that described infant fatalities in adult beds. These same data, however, showed more than 3 times as many crib related infant fatalities compared to adult bed accidents 15. Another recent large study concluded that bed sharing did NOT increase the risk of SIDS, unless the mom was a smoker or abused alcohol 16.

Stable physiology Studies show that infants who sleep near to parents have more stable temperatures 2, regular heart rhythms, and fewer long pauses in breathing compared to babies who sleep alone 3. This means baby sleeps physiologically safer.

Source
edit on 16-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Babies don't even know they are seperate from their parents till a year of age at the earliest, most not till a year and a half. Babies are designed by nature to be with their parents. How is it beneficial to them to be locked in a room seperately from their parents for hours at a time?

link   
Its not exactly "SIDS" if you smother your kid to death now is it?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
The USA is really the only country that strongly advocates separating infants and parents during sleep.

I recently had a son and have read about this in depth.

Check this link for some information: www.askdrsears.com...

A conflict of interest? Who is behind this new national campaign to warn parents not to sleep with their babies? In addition to the USCPSC, the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) is co-sponsoring this campaign. The JPMA? An association of crib manufacturers. This is a huge conflict of interest. Actually, this campaign is exactly in the interest of the JPMA. What does the research say? The September/October 2002 issue of Mothering Magazine presents research done throughout the whole world on the issue of safe sleep. Numerous studies are presented by experts of excellent reputation. And what is the magazine's conclusion based on all this research? That not only is sleeping with your baby safe, but it is actually much safer than having your baby sleep in a crib. Research shows that infants who sleep in a crib are twice as likely to suffer a sleep related fatality (including SIDS) than infants who sleep in bed with their parents.

Also, I can't find it now but remember reading a doctor's account a couple of years ago. He watched closely as his infant and wife slept together, and how their breathing synchronized. He noticed how mother and baby seemed locked together in sleep, slept face to face, and how when one would stir the other would as well. When one would wake up the other would wake up very shortly after. I noticed the same thing.

ETA: I forgot to add the part about how he also watched his newborn sleeping alone, and noticed and recorded instances of breathing problems. I can't find his reports right now, but I do recall him saying that he recorded multiple instances where the child's breathing was abnormal when the child was sleeping alone. He noticed that all of these abnormalities seemed to go away when baby and mother were sleeping together, sharing synchronized breath. It really makes sense if you think about it. What if what we're being told to believe is a huge reason for SIDS in the first place? I will post this information when I can find it.

My son slept with us (not all the time, but many nights) for the first 15 months or so. Many doctors and child psychologists see a benefit in this as it greatly strengthens the bond between parent and child. I am of the belief that a strong parent/child bond is a very important thing in the emotional development and eventually all other aspects of a child's life. Too many people try to rush their kids into independence when what they should be doing is creating a strong bond with their children - the most important thing, emotionally, you can do for your newborn is to let them know that you are always there when they need you. There will be plenty of time in later years to work on independence.

edit on 16-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheInterceptor

Who created this message? And why are you listening to the advice of an entity you have never met or identified over parental instinct?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
We need to take them from their mamas as soon as they are born, put them under a bright light and cut their feet and put stinging medicine in their eyes. Then put them in a hard plastic crib in front of a viewing window for 1-2 days. When they get home they need to sleep in a crib and be bottle fed on a tight schedule.

They need to wear the most expensive diapers then pull ups until they are 4 that is good at wicking the moisture from their bodies so they are unaware of what it feels like to sit in the nastiest of human conditions.while no one bothers to potty train them until it's about time for boarding school.

At 6 it's off to boarding school except for holidays a few weeks in the summer, followed by college.

That's the way all the other rich and powerful sociopaths running our govt. and intelligence agencies do it.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]Also, a baby who sleeps more peacefully, allows for parents to be more rested. I think it's a win for both mom and baby.

My kids have never fought me on bed times because they see sleep as a positive thing. Why? Because we co-slept.

Sleep more peacefully Research shows that co-sleeping infants virtually never startle during sleep and rarely cry during the night, compared to solo sleepers who startle repeatedly throughout the night and spend 4 times the number of minutes crying 1. Startling and crying releases adrenaline, which increases heart rate and blood pressure, interferes with restful sleep and leads to long term sleep anxiety.

Long term emotional health Co-sleeping babies grow up with a higher self-esteem, less anxiety, become independent sooner, are better behaved in school 12, and are more comfortable with affection 13. They also have less psychiatric problems 14.

Source

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheInterceptor

There are more deaths each year from cribs then there are from co sleeping parents who do it inappropriately.
Almost all deaths related to co sleeping includes a parent who was using drugs or alcohol.

Where the advertising is really ignorant is that being smothered in a crib or in a bed is not SIDS. So they are using a malady and applying the wrong reason to it to promote an agenda.

The single most predictor of actual SIDS is not location of sleep, but the position of the baby.

edit on 16-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Some more information for those that will read it:

preventdisease.com...

After the baby is born, an intimate exchange of gases between mother and child is linked to healthy breathing patterns. They may suggest that co-sleeping could be the most effective way to consciously and unconsciously for a mother to monitor her newborn.

Researchers have discovered that the lining of a baby's nose is rich in receptors that may affect breathing.A mother's breath or smell stimulates some of these receptors and thus affects baby's breathing. One of the main gases in an exhaled breath is carbon dioxide, which acts as a respiratory stimulant. Researchers have recently measured the exhaled air coming from a mother's nose while sleeping with her baby. They confirmed this logical suspicion that the closer a baby is to its mother's nose, the higher the carbon dioxide concentration of the exhaled air, and the concentration of carbon dioxide between the face-to-face pair is possibly just the right amount to stimulate breathing.

www.naturalchild.org...

Infants and parents sleeping together or in proximity to one another is the way that the nutritional, transportation, social-emotional, and thermal needs of human infants continue to be met worldwide. This includes Japan, where the rates of SIDS are the lowest in the world. In most cultures, parent-infant contact is considered to be as important during the night as it is during the day. In contrast, the industrial western world's accepted model of "normal" and "healthy" infant sleep assumes that it is best for the infant to sleep in isolation with minimal parental intervention. But infants were designed to sleep next to their mothers for night-time breastfeeding, so solitary infant sleep represents a novel, if not alien experience, for which not all infants, we contend, are equally prepared. Our work challenges western assumptions on "normal" infant sleep with the hope of uncovering hidden environmental factors heretofore not considered to be relevant to some types of SIDS.

Still searching for that very powerful account of the doctor monitoring his wife and child sleeping together.. I probably have it bookmarked at home if I can't find it earlier.
edit on 16-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Wow? What now? Are they gonna pass a law that makes it illegal to co-sleep with your baby?
Fantastic!

I love getting raped by the government! --_--

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Not only are Americans less apt to co sleep, they have the highest incidents of sleep disorders.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Thats a disturbing thought. How do babies benefit from being alone? Ah, the old school crowd who told you not to pick up a crying baby because then the baby will expect attention and need you.
Because a baby needing you is a horrible thing.

If a parent is not prepared to run the gauntlet of a child that needs parental care 24/7, then they shouldn't have a baby.

Do parents need time off? sure they do. Which is why my husband and I gave each other a night off, and the baby wasn't left alone.

If a parent goes: what about me. Don't complain that the younger genration keeps saying; what about me.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
i rolled over in my sleep and elbowed my daughter in the chest, she was about 5 months old, that was the last time she or any of our kids slept in our bed.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a) I recall seeing a number of 45% -- that's the percentage of babies in the world who co-sleep with their parents. You see, it's very common in Asia, and most of world's population resides there. I can't imagine that ancient civilizations would not wise up to dangers of this practice in all these millenia

b) as already noted, don't confuse SIDS and smothering

c) indeed in Asia most people don't have mattresses of same sort we have in the States. When I studied the issues, as a parent, I read that most accidents happen when the child gets wedged between the mattress and the wall. So yes, one does need to be careful. Obviously if you sleep on a thin mat on the floor, there won't be any sort of these problems.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meekbot2000
i rolled over in my sleep and elbowed my daughter in the chest, she was about 5 months old, that was the last time she or any of our kids slept in our bed.

Yeah, and this I understand. If you toss and turn when you sleep maybe co-sleeping is a bad idea for your family. In this instance it might be good to have baby sleep in the bassinet next to the bed.

For people who are calm sleepers, like me and mine, we never had this problem whatsoever. Obviously we all need to make decisions based on our own personal situations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join