It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Judge says NO to Occupy Wall Street

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It's breaking on CNN on TV, I'll post a link as soon as it comes available. A judge, has ruled that OWS has to move on. Is this where stuff starts to go down?

Earlier, a judge ruled that they COULD be there but apparently the Mayor and Police made a case worth a new ruling. This is big.
edit on 15-11-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

NY Daily News

A judge backed up Mayor Bloomberg’s clean sweep of Zuccotti Park Tuesday, ruling that the city has the right to keep Occupy Wall Street protestors from camping out in what’s supposed to be a 24-hour open space for all of the public. The ruling from the bench by Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Michael Stallman will likely be appealed so it’s not yet clear whether the city will reopen the park and allow in protestors – without tents. The city had argued that the protestors had made the park unsafe and dangerous by erecting a warren of tents that made the place a firetrap and kept police from coming inside to enforce the law. Lawyers for the protestors argued that the city unfairly infringed on their First Amendment rights, noting that the city has allowed others to pitch tents for flea markets in city parks for months at a time without police interference.

Sidenote worth mentioning: The owners of Zuccotti park have no problem with tents being there. The city of New York has interfered with affairs on private property. This is a repeat of the siege on MOVE in Philadelphia in 1978 and 1985. Give us out RIGHTS BACK.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

OWS New York?? What is this, a battle of the Judges?? St Louis also had a court case today I believe, as did Oakland... So perhaps a different city?

Update: One of the main OWS Twitter feeds is saying the TRO for Oklahoma City OWS was turned down. No tents for OKC.... I hadn't been watching all the feeds yet but I guess it's time to open it all up and get set for another libely evening.
edit on 15-11-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

UH OH.....

Breaking: NYS Supreme Court Judge Michael Stolman (sp?) rules in favor of New York City in clearing of Zucotti Park #OWS #OccupyWallStreet

edit on 15-11-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What did you expect, the first judge is counsel for the ACLU.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
What about the other thread that said they can stay..

and the one I posted an hour ago that says they have to go, but are allowed back.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
OWS has to hold NYC. The stakes are so high, I'd love to know more about the judge who made this ruling...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

This happened in the last 15 mins.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
OWS has to hold NYC. The stakes are so high, I'd love to know more about the judge who made this ruling...

I'm curious as to what's gonna happen now. NYC as been on edge since they started theirs. Solidarity marches are popping up in every city right now.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, its private property. That means they don't have the right to protest there, they have the privilege which, as of at least now, has been revoked.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Both the Atlanta mayor and the Oakland mayor have acknowledged conference calls for cities dealing with OWS protests. I want to know who coordinated the calls and these police actions against peaceful protesters. Was it the DOJ? DHS?

It's the PTB ramping things up, not the protesters.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Thanks for catching this! Oh this sounds bad. They lose the park...then SEEM to win...then lose at the end of the day. This could be a LONG night for Manhattan...on both sides.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

You're right - It's the private property element that is probably key to the ruling.
edit on 15/11/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The protestors are allowed to go back to the park but they can't have tents and generators.I heard this on the live feed
occupywallst.org...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Indeed zucotti park is private property had this ruling went the other way anyone can take any property away from anyone.

That ruling was the right call.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A lawyer interviewed on the live feed said the owners of the park have no problem with the protestors being there.
link to live feed on my above post.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The owners of the park have NEVER had a problem with the occupation! It's only the mayor and NYPD!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

This is garbage. They're too late though, the occupy protests aren't going to be shut down. Wall Street may have started the protests off, but the hundreds of other occupy sites will keep them alive.

Plus Denver isn't allowed to have tents, but they've remained camped out, even in 8 inches of snow. This is far from over.

Look at the way the taxpayer funded law enforcement treats the peaceful protesters:

Paul Kostora, head of the medical tent, said he was working with a patient when police pulled him away.

"They pulled me out stethoscope, white coat and all as I was telling them I have a patient in there," he said. "One girl has a heart condition and wasn't feeling well. They manhandled her and threw her on the ground."
:shk:
edit on 15-11-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm so indifferent about this whole thing right now. They shouldn't budge, but it's not really up to them. I don't even think the owners of Zuccotti can push for a different ruling. It'll be interesting, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
I'm so indifferent about this whole thing right now. They shouldn't budge, but it's not really up to them. I don't even think the owners of Zuccotti can push for a different ruling. It'll be interesting, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If they don't allow the OWNERS to push for a different ruling, then this will be the saddest day in Amerikan history. Telling the OWNERS what not to do with THEIR property!?!?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Strawberry Fields open?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
you should change the headline of this post to "Judge says NO to tents at OWS"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join