It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Effective Ways to Enhance Your Willpower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I came across this very interesting blog by a guy called Ian Newby-Clark. He explains that according to experiments performed by psychologists that will power is something that is limited in supply. Im sure looking around the world and seeing how bad thinsg have become because most of us especially myself have become lazy and have lost the will power to do anything. I thought i would share this AWESOME research info the more people with will power on this planet the better.

Link to Article

That study, and dozens of others like it, show that people only have so much willpower. When you have to control yourself, there is less willpower available to you for other parts of your life. This fact is a good one to know because people who lose their will-power often do things that they would rather not. They become aggressive, sexually impulsive, and give up too early on puzzles.

1. Anticipate and plan for your times of low self-control. Now that you know that self-control is a limited resource and that depleting it means less for later, you can do some anticipating and planning. For example, make sure that you’re not in the chips and cookies aisle of the grocery store after a long day at work. Don’t start on your tax return after a frustrating commute.

2. Exercise your willpower muscle to get more of it. Roy Baumeister, one of the leading researchers in this field, thinks that willpower is like a muscle. Exercising a muscle in the short-term leads to its exhaustion. In the long-term, though, exercising a muscle causes it to grow. In fact, there is some good evidence that exercising your willpower, though temporarily depleting, means that it will be stronger in the long run. So, push yourself. Things to do that will deplete your willpower: Work on a tough to solve puzzle; Watch a funny movie but resist the urge to laugh; Watch a sad movie but resist the urge to cry.

3. Drink some orange juice. It turns out that glucose is one of the key ingredients that your brain needs for effective self-control. Willpower. It’s not just for breakfast anymore! I hope that you find my message enlightening and helpful. Some of you, I am sure, will be disappointed to learn that your capacity for self-control is less than infinite. You do have willpower, just not as much as you might like. But now you know how to get more!

edit on 14-11-2011 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-11-2011 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
In a battle between the imagination and the will...
The imagination always wins!

Akushla

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

This is a great thread for me. I have always had problems with willpower. I never thought of willpower as finite. I will definitely try the techniques posted. Anyone else care to share their willpower triumphs and defeats. I would love to get more into this. I believe having willpower is one of the most important skills to train. It seems to me it would even strengthen your inner self and give you more control over our mortal body and desires.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBK

This is a great thread for me. I have always had problems with willpower. I never thought of willpower as finite. I will definitely try the techniques posted. Anyone else care to share their willpower triumphs and defeats. I would love to get more into this. I believe having willpower is one of the most important skills to train. It seems to me it would even strengthen your inner self and give you more control over our mortal body and desires.

Other way 'round...
Imagination is more powerful, amd takes no effort at all...

Akushla

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I certainly have the imagination part solid. I just gotta hone in my vast imagination and start using my willpower to connect that wild imagination to the real world. You can dream all day but until you pull yourself together, you cannot achieve anything. Note that you can have willpower to defy your preconceived notions to be able to expand your open mind and imagination.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBK

No...you gotta 'unhinge' the WILL. It has preconcieved notions of the way things should BE. The imagination does not...

Akushla

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The problem is how long can you remember to do what has been suggested. There are many ways to build up a strong willpower. One is to undergo hypnotism. A natural way is to program yourself and build up a stronger and stronger willpower daily. We have been guiding our friends for many years.You will know where to find us.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Other way 'round...

Akushla

With all due respect that is just your opinion, I myself prefer a balance of the two. I dont think either one of those skills should be greater than the other as extremes will eventually lead to an unhealthy obsession. Having a vivid imagination with a rock solid will power to back it up??? Yes please!! THATS REAL POWER!!

the imagination is nothing without the will power to bring it into existence thats the problem with the world today too many dreamers and not enough doers. I might not be able to change the world but i CAN change myself. Good luck on your journey.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Here are a few more exercises you can do:

Here are a few exercises:

1) You are sitting in a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in. Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated. Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind and feelings.

2) There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later. Get up and wash them now. Do not let your laziness overcome you. When you know that in this way you are developing your will power, and if you are convinced of the importance of will power in your life, it will be easier for you to do whatever you have to do.

3) You come home tired from work and sit in front of the T.V., because you feel too lazy and too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of the T.V, and go and take a shower.

4) You may know your body needs some physical exercise, but instead you keep on sitting doing nothing or watching a movie. Get up and walk, run or do some other physical exercise.

5) Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.

6) Sometimes, when you want to say something that is not important, decide not to say it.

7) Don't read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper, even if you want to.

8) You have a desire to eat something not too healthy. For the sake of the exercise refuse the desire.

9) If you find yourself thinking unimportant, unnecessary, negative thoughts, try to develop a lack of interest in them, by thinking about their futility and uselessness.

10) Overcome your laziness. Convince yourself of the importance of what is to be done. Convince your mind that you gain inner strength when you act and do things, in spite of laziness, reluctance or senseless inner resistance. Never say that you cannot follow the above exercises, because you certainly can. Be persistent no matter what. Motivate yourself by thinking about of the importance of performing the exercises, and the inner power and strength you will gain.

Link

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Seems like some legitimate and sound advice to me. Although I don't particularly care for orange juice and it seems to drain my willpower when I exert enough self control to make myself drink it. I supplement (not sure why that word needs two p's?) my lack of wanting to drink orange juice with eating more mandarine oranges, those I like.

Thanks for sharing the info

☮, ILOVE★ ✩ ✮ ✯ ✰ ☆

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Other way 'round...

Akushla

With all due respect that is just your opinion, I myself prefer a balance of the two. I dont think either one of those skills should be greater than the other as extremes will eventually lead to an unhealthy obsession. Having a vivid imagination with a rock solid will power to back it up??? Yes please!! THATS REAL POWER!!

the imagination is nothing without the will power to bring it into existence thats the problem with the world today too many dreamers and not enough doers. I might not be able to change the world but i CAN change myself. Good luck on your journey.

...and all due respect to you...
With regards to what I actually wrote, in the spirit in which I wrote it...and, in reference to your claim that the imagination is nothing without the will...

...try walking a tightrope between two very tall buildings using your 'will'...

My original quote was...'In a battle between the imagination and the will, the imagination always wins'.

Of course, the 'will' to do something is needed...I agree...but your 'will' has definite and limiting parameters (and this was my point) the imagination does not...
At the point at which you place your foot on this tightrope...your 'will' goes out the door, and your imagination takes over...regardless of how much you 'want' to walk the rope, your imagination will prevent it...
Those who have gained some sort of control over thier imagination...in a directed way (using the will to do it?!) will walk this tightrope...

Akushla

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Other way 'round...

Akushla

...and all due respect to you...
With regards to what I actually wrote, in the spirit in which I wrote it...and, in reference to your claim that the imagination is nothing without the will...

...try walking a tightrope between two very tall buildings using your 'will'...

My original quote was...'In a battle between the imagination and the will, the imagination always wins'.

Of course, the 'will' to do something is needed...I agree...but your 'will' has definite and limiting parameters (and this was my point) the imagination does not...
At the point at which you place your foot on this tightrope...your 'will' goes out the door, and your imagination takes over...regardless of how much you 'want' to walk the rope, your imagination will prevent it...
Those who have gained some sort of control over thier imagination...in a directed way (using the will to do it?!) will walk this tightrope...

Akushla

I think you might be confusing insecurities with imagination. I dont see what walking a tight rope and imagination have to do with each other. I DO however see how having the will power to step onto the tight rope has merit. So yeah my opinion remains the same that neither is more powerful that the other but a balance is needed.

top topics

join