It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I get in trouble?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I am currently writing a thread, and have a pdf, that states "Official Use Only". And states that if received, should be put away and not passed out. I am not sure if I am allowed to add it or not.

I would not like to get into trouble or get ATS in any hot water, by adding it here. I need a quick answer so I put it here, if the answer is better private, please mods U2U me.

Thanks, NRE.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I want to add that I plan on putting this on the back burner until I get an answer. So just in case the mods are discussing, they know I wont do anything until then

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
If it's FedGov FOUO you will go to jail and gain the "terrorist" label for the rest of your life. If a GS or contractor they will start by firing you then arrest you. If active duty, instant arrest and detainment. This is not the time to mess around. The feds are spooked and ready to pull triggers on the shadow of a shadow, never mind a clear target such as yourself.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
NRE,

I once had a similar question, i went to the members currently online and directly u2u'ed a specific mod, who in turn pointed me to the correct mod for that forum. Very quick and clean prcess, might try that as well if you dont get an answer this way.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
NRE, don't do something you might end up regretting after all. Tuck that away, but here's a thought...Are there parts of the document that can be researched or verified through another avenue, and you stitch together the concepts in your dialog? And let sleeping dogs lay on the FOUO.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses, I have decided not to post it, as I can see this possibly getting out of control. I'm sure someone will find it eventually, and I hope that who ever does they think about the possible problems that may come along with it.

Though this is a place for sharing, I dont think that this can be shared just yet.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's a very hard question to answer not knowing where the document came from and your ties to the people who produced the document. If it's important i'd try leaking it to other private individuals and then letting it get posted/released from a thrid party.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Also if you recieved this as a .pdf you could blackout/delete the clauses that state not to post/distribute ect... Claim that you recieved the file in that state.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Hello NoRegretsEver,

I think you are taking the right decision NOT to post it. I also have a PDF document that is undeniable proof that they lied about a particular event. I won't be making a thread about it (I thought about it for a while though) and certainly won't discuss the event. But in due time...who knows?

It's simply a wise decision at the moment.

XL5

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If it was the cure for cancer and that cure could be made at home with normal products, then I would post it. Even if it meant jail time. If its just a "heh, thats strange" kind of thing, don't bother.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

NoRegretsEver pondering possible future regrets. The irony is not lost.

Pick your battles very carefully, and be safe. Good luck.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

There is NOTHING in the law that says you can't use classified material in a journalistic endeavor.

The impetus of concealing information lies on government and the agents tasked to handle it.

If you're not these things you should not be getting in trouble. The only time you shouldn't post classified material is if you don't feel right doing it.

Just remember that information is classified for a reason. IF this isn't too sensitive of a document, and no one's lives are in danger, then you should just post it with a clear conscience.

edit on 14-11-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

A little info

It may be of interest regarding your pdf doc

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

Thank you for that, it does clear up a few things for me.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Just one other thought, is it already posted on Wikileaks? There are tons of documents already posted there.

I've seen ATS threads referring to Wikileaks documents so unless a mod says otherwise that seems to be fair game here within reason. But there was also a thread about people posting about wikileaks using non-anonymous accounts like facebook and twitter that were blacklisted from being hired for government positions because they aren't supposed to look at or talk about that stuff.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
If you want to be on the safe side, run it by one of the Administrators. They'll be able to give you a definite answer.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Thanks for the reply. It just seems like I might be going over my head on this one. I have rechecked and realized that it may be a bit much for an "open" forum.

Though I respect the way that things are run here, its "others" that I worry about.

I read the link that was provided here, and realize that the way that the "laws" work today, I can indeed get in trouble, I'm just glad that I asked first. According to the law, I would be breaking more then enough. I may miss out on a huge opportunity to blow something wide open, but cannot at this time.

I might start a round the bout thread, but cannot knowingly add that pdf. That can clearly be linked back to me.

Peace, NRE.

BTW, I would like to add that what I would like to have released, it is nothing that can be life saving, such as a cure for something big, and I am sure at some point will be released, but right now I cannot be the one to release it. Sorry.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
O.K I asked a friend, and was told that if I posted the warning then ATS would understand why I shouldn't post it. I kind of left it up in the air, and dont want people and mods to think this was a worthless thread. I am going to add the warning.

I will not add the number of release.

This document is FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (FOUO). It contains information that may be exempt
from public release under the Freedom of Information Act ______ it is to be controlled, stored,
handled, transmitted, distributed, and disposed of in accordance with Department of Homeland Security
(DHS) policy relating to FOUO information and is not to be released to the public or other personnel who
do not have a valid “need-to-know” without prior approval of an authorized DHS official.
At a minimum when unattended, this document is to be stored in a locked container such as a file cabinet,
desk drawer, overhead compartment, credenza or locked area offering sufficient protection against theft,
compromise, inadvertent access, and unauthorized disclosure.

As I said I am sure this will be released, just not by me.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
There are several things to consider. Does it have a copyright? I always cite the sources I use because that means I am just relaying information through the Fair Use Act, if indeed it is for the purpose of teaching.

A pdf is intellectual property, and as such is the intellectual property of the copyright holder and if the copyright holder says it is not to be made public (which ATS is a public forum), then you are in violation of copyright infringement. I do think in the rules from ATS, you are not allowed to post anything that is copyright infringement.

If I were you, no, I would not post the pdf. And is the pdf even from credible sources? If not, then you should not even consider it at all. ATS may be a public forum that is based in sharing information, but it is not a place for copyright infringement.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If you feel the need to ask if some behavior is ethical or not, your conscience has already provided you the correct answer because you are requesting external verification or dissolution of that answer.

<<   2 >>

join