It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rifle that shoots 3000 yards

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
i read a artical in G&A or something like that the govermant got a sniper rifle that can pick a person off at 3000 yards

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I doubt that, closest thing would be a .50 cal gun, which can reach out well over 1000 yards in the hands of a capable shooter. The problem with those distances is that humans get increasingly smaller visually, so its very hard to hit them, even with a scope with massive magnification, because the slightest movement will put you off target. It seems to me that shooting at these ranges seldom involves humans as the target but rather light-armored vechiles and other things that can be crippled with a well placed shot.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
i did read it in the redneck mag. guns & ammo

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Found the weapon you are seeking.

www.firstdefense.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Damn - thats one hell of a gun!

I have shot .50 cals before, including the Barret semi-automatic one, and let me tell you, these things are BEASTS! The first time I shot it I got scope bite, And I'm a preatty compitent shooter.

The only question I have is why in the world would anyone need to shoot 3000 yards?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
thats it rednecks werent wrong

[edit on 3-9-2004 by DRAGON27]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I don't buy that gun shooting 1 MOA and 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards. The M82A1A has a maximum effective range of 1800 meters(1860 yards) , so how does that gun hit out at 3000 yards, (2903 meters) effectiely squeezing 1100 extra meters ( or yards ) out of the same bullet?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Damn - thats one hell of a gun!

I have shot .50 cals before, including the Barret semi-automatic one, and let me tell you, these things are BEASTS! The first time I shot it I got scope bite, And I'm a preatty compitent shooter.

The only question I have is why in the world would anyone need to shoot 3000 yards?

by the time any one around hears the report your long gone or have shot
at them and its to late for them pray to alla or something like that

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Alternate,

You don't seem to understand.

The issue is not being able to go that far-heck; a 22 can go for 1 mile. The issue is being able to go all that distance -Accurately.

This involves extremely tight tolerances in machining and in the action. Everything is very tight. This is good for accuracy, but will limit the number of rounds fired before requiring cleaning, but how many shots do snipes usually need at one time. It would also tend to make it very sensitive to getting dirty-dirt in mechanism. It clearly has good optics.

The last issue is a person steady enough to be accurate at that distance.

I am not a military sniper, nor ever was. I know we have some members who are or have been-they can confirm or deny my statements.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Accuracy just depands on caliber, lenght and quality of barrel. But at longer ranges even slighest wind can move bullet off course. And even on 1500-2000m ranges bullet fly 2-3 seconds. So it makes almost impossible to kill someone from that distance because he have some time for move and can accidentaly use it.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
No no no. Accuracy depends on the shooter. Then the gun.

A good person to ask about this gun would be Starchild. If I remember right, he was a sniper.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Aren't .50 and 1 inch caliber sniper rifles mainly ment as anti vehicule weapons?

Disabling a car at 3000 yards is a hell of a lot easyer then giving a person a headshot at that range.

I know the M82-a1 is registered as an anti vehicule weapon.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Yes they are. But the thing is, at extreme ranges you need the extra wieght and speed of the larger projectile.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
People you forgot to mention that you also need precision built ammo, both mechanical precision and the charge itself. I read papers about it, that's a separate discipline.

The long sniper shots were discussed here and I think the longest known headshot was like 2500m with is 2700 yards. It has been done.

And yes, the wind is very important.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Yes they are. But the thing is, at extreme ranges you need the extra wieght and speed of the larger projectile.

Yeah, I was replying in respect of what you said:

The weapons are designated as anti vehicule weapons, being able to disable vehicules at as much range as you can seems to have rather plausible reasons to me.

Imagine a fast moving Jeep comming your way with you only having your M16's and some nades, and them having a machine gun mounted on top(or maybe an RPG).
I'd honnestly want to be able to disable them before they get anywhere near in range to fire their weapons and hope they take the warning of their vehicule being disabled.

If they don't take the warning and advance to your location, they'll be walking targets that are easyer to pick of and track from that distance.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
the record for sniping is 2340 m. This is with a .50cal and optics imagine with an electronic scope and a .50 cal.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollyon
the record for sniping is 2340 m. This is with a .50cal and optics imagine with an electronic scope and a .50 cal.

On what kind of target?
If its on the typical target practice type target with an accuracy demand of hitting the head or heart zone, imagine how much further one can shoot with enough accuracy when your just trying to drive a .50 slug in an Hummers engine block?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
there is a "join the army" ad on TV. you can see a real life pic on that at the end

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Originally posted by Apollyon

On what kind of target?

Canadian sniper taking out a praying mojahed mullah on a hill in Afghanistan.
Last year, I believe.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

On what kind of target?
If its on the typical target practice type target with an accuracy demand of hitting the head or heart zone, imagine how much further one can shoot with enough accuracy when your just trying to drive a .50 slug in an Hummers engine block?

I believe it was a enemy supply truck driver.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join