It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ive never been on a jury.been registered to vote for twenty five years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
i know a mother of a cop that gets called for jury on average ,three times a year.ive been called but never picked.i believe county attorneys and district attorneys cherry pick jury pools.does anybody else believe this to be true.does this seem fair .especially as youth may be involved in crimes that the older generation disapprove that youth would approve of.is this truly a jury of our peers?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by robomont

I have to show up for jury duty an average of twice a year. I've served on two juries, one a child molestation case (we convicted him of three counts, and gave him three life sentences), and a DWI case (found her guilty, but we didn't do the punishment). I'd love to serve on another jury. It's interesting being a part of that process.

I got a summons for Grand Jury earlier this year, but they canceled our pool. I was disappointed. Grand Jury is a jackpot for me.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

I've been called but not picked once when I was in my 20's but that was 30 years ago and I haven't been called since.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
In my county, they are starving for enough jurors just to get through the daily docket. I got the notice in the mail once and had to show up for the jury pool everyday (5 days). All day, everyday just waiting for your name to be picked and then off to more waiting and possible questioning for selection in the courtroom. It was not was I expecting or hoping for.

I would get called up for the jury selection and the majority of the time the defendants would plea out as soon as they realized that they were about to face their potential jury. Guilt is sort of funny that way.

As desperate as they are for jurors, I'm surprised I've only gotten the notice once in 6 years of living in my county. The majority of the time people never even show up and the county was considering using the Sheriff's office to round up the jurors.

I know people who have never received the notice either. My mom is 67 and has never been called for jury duty. My aunt gets called up every couple of years.

Good Luck!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

In Arizona they go by drivers licenses, not registered voters.

I found this out when I got called up for jury duty 3 times in one year. Since moving back here, it will be a while before I change my license again.

Not that I would mind serving on a jury, I just can't afford to!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The job of a defense lawyer is to defend his/her client. One of the tools is creating a sympatheic ear in the jury. Yes, lawyers cherry pick jurors. In your everyday court cases... petty theft, breaking and entering, assault, and the lot... pretty much a generic bunch is chosen.

I have sat on a jury, sat on a grand jury for an entire year... meeting once a month every Tuesday.. and have been called and declined for jury duty on about 3 more occassions....

That being said, it is a very educational and eye opening experience... and at times down right boring. Hope you get on one soon.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I served 4 times, all civil cases though. I have also done a couple of "mock juries". Those are more fun and pay better than the real thing.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I have been a registered voter for 50 years and have received jury notice once in a county that has a population less than 20,000.

The time I received the notice I was released the first day with in a couple of hours.

I am one who believes that serving on a jury is the single most patriotic duty a citizen can perform.

I also hold “Jury Nullification” as the citizens greatest power.

Cherry picked jury pool, I have no proof, but it sure does appear that it is.

edit on 14-11-2011 by brokedown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

The fact that you sound like you are bragging about giving a guy three life sentences says to me you shouldn't be on a jury. With a conviction rate like that you no doubt will again though. I have a feeling that is what OP was talking about when he said "cherry picked." I am not trolling you btw we are just frequenting the same threads today I guess and are pretty much polar opposites..

I would say for most smaller cases like drugs, dui, child molestation, etc the defendant doesn't really worry too much about their jury (if they can even pick them). The reason we ever see fair trials with fair outcomes like the Casey Anthony case is because it was high profile and we got to see what a pick of smart, understanding, good jurors the defendants lawyer will pick. That is a case where the jury did it's job.

Anyway I've never been called and I have been registered to vote since I was 18 (7 years). I've wondered about it.
edit on 14-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by supine

Dunno if mine is on license, but I have that too.

I thought that when you were called for jury duty, since you have to do it, your job had to pay you your wages plus the small pay of serving jury duty?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I've received Jury Duty notices twice. Both times from the wrong county.

I'd wear my red flannel shirt, jeans and cowboy boots to the court room and answer everything "urmhmm" because personally, I don't find sitting on a Jury very appealing.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I have been called twice and never picked... The first time was because I have an uncle who is a cop and he told a story which was just like that of the accused. I didn't lie about it, but the fact that I can think and speak intelligently seemed to bother the defense.

The second time, my hearing loss had reached a point where I could no longer hear the judge. Given I have not yet learned sign language, he tossed me

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I got called once for the wrong county. Wrote back explaining that and they dismissed me.

I'm likely to be dismissed if ever called again simply because if I didn't witness the crime with my own eyes I can't ever be certain of guilt or innocence.

A jury of your peers is a load of crap. Lawyers are manipulative and my peers are all idiots. I won't participate in this pretend "justice."

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Awesome, but that is why you should be participating..

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Would you all believe I have never been called to Jury dutie! I have had my drivers license and been registered to vote for over 25ys. lol

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I was picked about 9 years ago.

Went in, sat around for an hour, many people made up excuses to get out of it. Then about 90 minutes into it someone came out and said the people have settled outside of court and we can all go home....... Ok.....

Apparently you can get out of jury duty for the next 2 years or so once you participated (except for those people who left early).

I have since not heard from any court or anything. I'm registered to vote (again this year as I switched parties). Have a drivers license, pay my taxes... Maybe registering a new car at the DMV will bring my name up again.

I actually want to be involved in the process.

Maybe they don't like people with something on their records?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If you ever get chosen for jury pool, clean-up (shower/dress nice) and chances are you will not be picked. If you actually WANT to be selected, dress like you are going to Occupy rally.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I would say for most smaller cases like drugs, dui, child molestation, etc...

Did you just call child molestation a "smaller case"? Yes, you did. But...Seriously? Please tell me that was a mistake.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
...if I didn't witness the crime with my own eyes I can't ever be certain of guilt or innocence.

I'm certainly glad there are people out there who are willing to objectively listen to evidence and then make an informed judgement. Because, if you ever become victim to a crime, they will do their best to see justice done.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

The fact that you sound like you are bragging about giving a guy three life sentences says to me you shouldn't be on a jury.

The fact that you can say that, without knowing the circumstances of the case and what evidence was presented, says to me you shouldn't ever be on a jury.

Objectivity is key. Whether a person, as a juror, goes into the courtroom with preconceptions either of guilt or innocence guarantees justice will not be done.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join