It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outside .. Right now... Look up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
St. Catharines Ontario Canada 12:50am

BIG ring in the clouds around the moon. I just found this pretty interesting and didnt know where to post...
pictures and edit to follow

EDIT: I apologize for the location of this post

...If a MOD could please locate this post in the appropriate Forum that would be swell.

edit on 13-11-2011 by StoneGarden because: A quick apology and a favor to ask...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Im in Chicago and I just had to run out and look, a ton of clouds here but I caught a glimpse of the moon and I see a huge golden ring around it, looks really cool, thanks for the tip to look :-)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I doubt Geo-engineering is the correct forum for this. It is a natural phenomenon caused by clouds:

A lunar halo is caused by the refraction, reflection, and dispersion of light through ice particles suspended within thin, wispy, high altitude cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. As light passes through these hexagon-shaped ice crystals, it is bent at a 22 degree angle, creating a halo 22 degrees in radius (or 44 degrees in diameter). A double halo, sometimes with spokes, may be seen on rare occasions when light reflects off water or ice.

Source

It's a cool effect, but nothing sinister......
btw....be on the lookout for precipitation in the next day or two....

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Probably just the moon's corona. If it's happening by you that means it only happening by you and in the near area, it's an illusion. Cool though.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hey guys... I saw one of these before, too... it's called a Moon Ring:

en.wikipedia.org...

First time I saw one I flipped out.. but it is a natural phenomenon.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Okie dokie... yep, that was my thought too... a "Moon Dog" around these parts. But this was no ordinary moon dog, it just seemed different to me... it's like the clouds are performing the moon dog?? That is the best way for me to describe what I am seeing... I definitely think it is a natural illusion... got some 3 minute span quick pics up, I just don't know how to put them up here, from my uploads... Not really blog savvy

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Thank you very much sir! Cheers! And rain ya say? haha Probably snow, at least it is cold enough.

See you on the flipside

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Yes, ice crystals. We had one here (prairies) a couple of days ago, I woke up to a foot of snow.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by StoneGarden

If you have them in your ATS uploads already, just click the image. The top "link" is the one for using the image in a post on ATS. It should look something like this : [pic ]qk4ebf5fb0.jpg[ /pic].
Just copy and past that into the thread for your pics.

That's the link for my current avatar....of course, I used a couple spaces in the HTML so it would actually post the text and not the pic!

edit on 13-11-2011 by webpirate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Thank you very much, you must be a mind reader... lol I was just trying to figure it out...
Here ya go...

link   

Originally posted by StoneGarden
St. Catharines Ontario Canada 12:50am

BIG ring in the clouds around the moon. I just found this pretty interesting and didnt know where to post...
pictures and edit to follow

Cut down to 25%, unaltered any other way.. I can e-mail originals... just send me a message if you want the originals.

link   
Op, that is uncanny! How in the world did you know that we have up where I live?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcord
Op, that is uncanny! How in the world did you know that we have up where I live?

I am not too sure I fully understand your question... but I will answer with...

My guess is you live in town here as well... Where I live... I looked up while smoking a cigarette, saw a ood looking "Moon Dog" in the clouds, so...

and now thanks to a Pirate here at ATS, I am expecting Snow.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
A ring around the moon
When halo rings the moon or sun, rain's approaching on the run

Old sailors saying.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it's a scientific fact (I doubt it) or some folk-lore but I have always been told that, however many stars are in side the ring is how many days it will be until it rains.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by StoneGarden

Dude, I am looking at your avatar and it is messing with me. Is it supposed to look like a cross between Obama and the creature that Louis Gossett played in Enemy Mine?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Some type of object in multiple locations around the moon. Plus plenty around it all have the same structure, so sorry, not a lens flare and sure heck not Chinese balloons. Hmm, going out there with my cheap telescope.

Far left

Bottom

You moving the camera but the object near the moon.

edit on 13-11-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Must be a moon fart

edit on 13-11-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I took this photo a few days ago in Los Angeles:

The "star" next to the moon is the planet Jupiter.

This is just a moon ring (a lunar halo) and not a moon dog. A moon dog would have two bright patches on either side. It has to do with the altitude (vertical angle) of the moon, and type of ice crystals in the atmosphere.
edit on 13-11-2011 by Uncinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I think what you're seeing on the left is lens flare. I see it on the right in one pic too. Must have been from a different angle on the ground.
And Uncinus is correct. That bright object to the right of the moon is Jupiter. It's been pretty bright and real close to the moon for the last month or so.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by StoneGarden

Originally posted by jcord

and now thanks to a Pirate here at ATS, I am expecting Snow.

The precipitation thing isn't 100% fool proof. It is really cloudy there today though, but it;s also warming up! High of 61 there tomorrow with a slight chance of rain.

Your weather

More from the source I posted last night about the ring phenomenon:

Weather lore says a lunar halo is the precursor of impending unsettled weather, especially during the winter months. This is often proved true, as cirrus and cirrostratus clouds generally precede rain and storm systems.

Source

But cirrostratus clouds can also indicate the approach of a warm front. Either way, there is abundant moisture in the air there at the moment....even if it doesn't make it;s way all the way to the ground!

And nice pics BTW.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join