It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Printer Spooler Fixit Wizard, is it safe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
My printers and scanners have vanished from the control panel.
If I try to print I get a message that the printer spooler is not running.
I have restarted it a zillion times.
It goes out again as I am looking at it.

Sometime I get a message saying that no printer is installed.
If I click on "add printer" I get the message saying printer spooler isn't running.
They seem to be in there; they are on the list in programs and add/remove.

I did download the above fixit wizard, and it scanned and showed corrupted printer drivers and registry keys.
It says it cleans out viruses in the drivers & spoolers.
They want $39 for it; and that is just a yearly subscription.
If it fixes the problem why do I need a subscription?
It looks like a scam to me.
Does anyone know about this?

Monday eve I did pick up a virus/spy thing called "Security Protection".
It locked up all programs including internet.
I used another computer to look for solutions.
I tried the one that suggesed activating it with a code they provided and using a fake email.
So I clicked the "activate" button and my ca virus program brought up a window that said this program was trying to access my registry keyes...I clicked "Block" and all the "Security Protection" stuff vanished, and it looked like I was back in business, but then I found that my printers wouldn't work.

edit on 12-11-2011 by OhZone because: to add problem

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
It does sound like a scam.

Anything that presents itself as a solution to your problems, normally will cause more problems than they are worth, and are likely to be malicious in intent.
edit on 12-11-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

any file can be taken over by a virus.
Look for a replacement file online delete the original and replace it with the new file.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Just uninstall the old printer driver, download a new updated version and re-install.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies. I had accidently hit 'enter' before I had even gotten to type out my problem.
I went everywhere in there restarting the spooler.
Deleting/uninstalling the printer programs and reinstalling them won't work because it won't install unless the spooler is running, and the spooler won't stay on.
So you see I am in a bind.

My printers are old.
HP 932C and 1220C Deskjet, so I have the most recent software for both of them.
edit on 12-11-2011 by OhZone because: added message

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You're infected!!!! Either try a couple of scans with Anti-Malware from www.malwarebytes.org... and then scan with Ad-Aware from lavasoft.com... or back up your data, reformat the hard drive and re-install your operating system.

Never, ever purchase or "activate" an antivirus or pc tune up program that you did not specifically download and install.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

I would also recommend a good thorough scan using Spybot Search & Destroy www.safer-networking.org..., also free
edit on 12-11-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation
You're infected!!!! Either try a couple of scans with Anti-Malware from www.malwarebytes.org... and then scan with Ad-Aware from lavasoft.com... or back up your data, reformat the hard drive and re-install your operating system.

Never, ever purchase or "activate" an antivirus or pc tune up program that you did not specifically download and install.

This over and over and over and over
edit on 12-11-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You might even be able to get away with a system restore back to a point when your printer spooler & drivers were working ok.

But it is definitely recommended to scan your computer using the previously mentioned programs regardless if you roll back your system or not.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I did the system restore back to the day before all this happened. Didn't help.
I did scan with Malawarebytes and nothing turned up.
I'll try the others.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Try ComboFix. It's easy to use and works miracles. Link: ComboFix

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I scanned with Adaware - turned up nothing.
I scanned with SpyBot..results:
found: Microsoft Security Center Override and
Microsoft Firewall Override

Surely Microsoft must know about this -- and has not fix?
To be aware - this "Security Protection" bug comes in as a Microsoft security warning with a look alike Microsoft Shield, and no matter that you click "Block" you still get it. Even their scanner has a Microsoft look-alike Shield on it.
And Microsoft hasn't hunted them down and killed them?

Printer spooler problem not fixed.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Which OS are you running? Is this when the probem started?:

Monday eve I did pick up a virus/spy thing called "Security Protection".
It locked up all programs including internet.
I used another computer to look for solutions.
I tried the one that suggesed activating it with a code they provided and using a fake email.
So I clicked the "activate" button and my ca virus program brought up a window that said this program was trying to access my registry keyes...I clicked "Block" and all the "Security Protection" stuff vanished, and it looked like I was back in business, but then I found that my printers wouldn't work.

edit on 13-11-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have Windows XP service pack 3.

Isn't that "combofix" another program that messes with the registry?
I'd rather mess with it manually, at least I would know what was changed.
That's assuming that I make careful notes.
edit on 14-11-2011 by OhZone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Most of the fake antivirus programs use what looks like legit Microsoft icons. The malware is usually targeted to look like a WinXP program although more and more are looking like Win7 programs. I've even seen one that mimicked the look of Microsoft Security Essentials.

I get a good laugh when surfing with Linux and see a rogue webpage try to scare me with what looks like a WinXP "security scan."

If you know what you are doing, you can run MSCONFIG and see what programs and services are started upon booting up your computer and then uncheck the box to staop it from starting. I often use that to disable some trojans and malware but be advised that some malware will just add another entry and continue to load on startup. Otherwise you may have to edit the registry usually under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Before you do any messing around with MSCONFIG or REGEDIT I recommend backing up all your data just in case you screw something up and your OS becomes unstable or worse.

For help with manually fixing your problem try the forums over at bleepingcomputer.com or majorgeeks.com. The nice folks there will walk you through removing your malware.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure what I did, or if I did anything, but the printers are working againg and my logon here at ATS didn't vanish when I checked out earlier.

I've been to the bleeping computer site. It looks like a good one. I probably was to majorgeeks but don't remember. I'll put both of them in my favorites list.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just found out that my ca virus program Quarantined a Fake program..maybe that is why everything seems OK again.
I don't understand why it is only Quarantined and not fixed/Removed.
edit on 14-11-2011 by OhZone because: (no reason given)

top topics

join