It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Cops Beating Students"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The headline is not mine and it is what the students were chanting, so no I'm not here to portray all cops as bad, just show another incident of the continued struggle for some kind of change. This was not a real 'beatdown' like we have seen, but it still just seems wrong and uncivil. I guess if they bring in the Hells Angels, then things will really get ugly, just like in the 60's.
Man I was about to get irate but then became kind of proud that this crowd did not respond with violence, which would have escalated the situation. They remained passive and the cops kind of settled down. I wonder if any ribs were broken? Looks like a vid from the 60's!

On Monday, if you recall, UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau sent out a campus-wide letter warning students and faculty against setting up tents or disturbing classes, stating:
Any activities such as pulling fire alarms, occupying buildings, setting up encampments, graffiti, or other destructive actions that disrupt with anyone's ability to conduct regular activities -- go to class, study, carry out their research, etc. -- will not be tolerated.
Clearly.
After getting hit by police officers, Shane Boyle, a Cal graduate student involved in the melee, told The Chronicle, "It really, really hurt - I got the wind knocked out of me...I was lucky I only got hit twice." He also revealed a red welt on his chest.
Six UC Berkeley students and english professor Celeste Langan were arrested for "resisting and delaying police officers."
After the officers left the scene, students quickly replaced their tents at Sproul Plaza.
Update: Defying UC policy, Occupy cal students spent most of the evening on Sproul Plaza pitching tents and protesting throughout the night. While Chancellor Birgeneau gave direct orders not to create an encampment, students are allowed to hang out, if you will, on the plaza.

sfist.com...
So what is the message sent and received from these incidents?

spec
edit on 10-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Sorry Dude, its already been posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Police will blindly follow any order given. They'll physically harm men, women and children. The "protestors" don't feel the need to stand up against such inhumane activity by those meant to protect.

Peaceful protests dont work when the people enforcing that rule go by their own rules of whats ok and what isnt. Also, when they have weapons they are openly allowed to use on innocent, concerned protestors.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Mybad, mods feel free to close ?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well my hats off to the students. I'd not have been able to keep my self control there. I'm no one's punching bag... and if you assault me.. expect a similar response. Wonder if the cops had their name badges on display?

That one guy seemed to take particular interest in hitting the women.

Cowards.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I was just pointing out that the video had already been posted but I must admit I didn't realise these were "just students", perhaps your thread is justified as that wasn't mentioned in the other thread, just part of Occupy something protests. College/Uni kids getting the Riot Squad treatment? And there was me thinking that Berkeley (a fairly highly regarded institute of learning?) was free-thinking and progressive. Ah well, another day, another bubble burst.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
im just speechless on the amount of abuses going on by officers,that could be our kids some day if this keeps happening in the amount it has.it seems the mask has been well lifted off,there is no protector of citizens.just punishers of who disobey. (no laws needed) i must remind.
edit on 10-11-2011 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)
this guy,Chancellor Robert Birgeneau,should be held acountable for that hapening as well.but by who?lol,and if they are not held to it by law,what next?no,no,no,no,no,keep that question locked up,its to scary to face.i was always told,if you have a problem,face it,or, sooner or later,it will face you.seems like society has a big problem of abuse by authority.
edit on 10-11-2011 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Its already been posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join