It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King is going to help low income families with heat this winter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well, it seems as if my one of my favorite writers has lighter side to him after all. He is going to be helping low income families get heat this winter after federal budget cuts.

news.yahoo.com...;

Suspense author Stephen King is scaring up money to help low-income residents in his home state of Maine after federal funding cuts for heating programs serving residents who are poor, disabled or elderly. The Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation is working with the three Bangor, Maine, radio stations the writer also owns to try to raise at least $140,000 in coming weeks. King, a part-time resident of the region, hopes that citizens will put up half of the amount, while the other half will be a matched donation coming from the foundation, he told a local newspaper on Tuesday. "This economy is terrible and Tabitha and I both worry so much about Bangor because it truly is a working-class town," King told the Bangor Daily News. "We are always looking for ways to help, and right now this is a great need."

I know that $140 k is really a lot, but it makes a difference to those who can't afford it, and hopefully they will be able to raise more than that. I don't know a whole lot about Maine, but I understand it can get pretty cold up there. Hopefully there will be more people like this who will donate in other cities and towns to help the needy get the necessary heat to stay safe and warm this winter.

His effort comes after the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said it would provide Maine with $23 million in heating program funds this winter, less than half last year's aid of $55.6 million. Poor, disabled or elderly people are those most affected by cuts to the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.

Lets just hope they don't have a "Storm of the Century". For those that have seen it, you know what I mean

edit on 10-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
A great move. King is one of my favorites as well. I've always admired his sense of community.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It seems many famous people are jumping on this bandwagon.

Here in the UK there is a similar thing happening.

In the UK there is a thing called a Winter Payment, which is given to the elderly or vulnerable (low income, unemployed). I think its about £25...i dont know if that is a week or over the entire winter period.

Many people that do not need this payment are given it anyways...so if you are a millionaire and you are over 65 you will still receive it.

Fuel poverty is a rising trend here in the UK...energy prices are stupid..they were just raised another 15-18% by the major (monopoly) suppliers.

Energy needs to be state owned (as it was before)...not privately where profits come before people.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You know im still pissed about the dark tower series!!! I guess i take back all the cursings about him after that series and appreciate his generosity! He still is one of my favorite authors by the way and now even more so!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I know that $140 k is really a lot, but it makes a difference to those who can't afford it

I'm in NH right next door and I have gotten heating assistance, almost everyone in my town needs the help because they are taxing us to death, and we "at best" only get about $850 for the whole Winter, and we don't even get that money until around February. That $140k is going to at least help 150 or so families, that's more help than I've seen most celebrities share their wealth.
He's a good guy, I just don't like his weird stories, but a good guy nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Read quite a few Stephen King books and am not that suprised that he's involved in worthy causes like helping the needy.

BTW - I shake my fist at anybody who thinks Stephen King is not intellectual enough reading!

top topics

join