It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful Storm Heading Toward Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Bad whether more and more frequently worldwide ..

Western Alaska residents braced for an unusual Bering Sea storm headed toward the coast, packing hurricane-force winds and churning giant waves with snow ..

They say 700 people from Eskimo village has no sea wall and no evacuation road, hope they be evacuate very soon ..

abcnews.go.com...

news.yahoo.com...

www.wytv.com...

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A powerful Bering Sea storm hit western Alaska early Wednesday with high winds and surging seas, the National Weather Service said. Some homes close to ocean have been evacuated, but there are no reports of injuries, he said.

The Inupiat Eskimo village of about 700 people has no sea wall and no evacuation road. If evacuation becomes necessary, residents will go to the school because it sits on higher ground and is big enough to accommodate everyone, he said.

The last time forecasters saw something similar was in November 1974, when Nome also took the brunt of the storm. That surge measured more than 13 feet (4 meters), pushing beach driftwood above the level of the previous storm of its type in 1913.
Officials are concerned for Alaska Natives in the 18 villages in the region.

edit on 9-11-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I guess it's fair to say that living in the stunning beauty and pristine wilderness of Alaska comes with some pretty heavy downsides from time to time. My heart certainly goes out to those effected. I hope they don't hesitate to make it known if outside contributions may be needed there. Most situations would already have something set up and begging everyone..but I have a feeling the rugged nature of the people up there won't see such displays come up unless they're really in trouble and needy.

Here is hoping it's a short and full recovery from this monster of a storm.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I really hope this storm makes its way south to Colorado and gives us a good battering of snow. I'm sending positive thoughts to those in Alaska where this is an immediate threat. I hope they make it to the mainland soon, and that nobody dies as a result of this storm. Mother nature...she can kick ass when she wants!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

just looking at that first picture made me think of the movie "day after tomorrow". Incredible the intensity of some of the storms we are seeing as of late.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This has already been started:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I use search, hmm ..

Thanks for that one, we don't need double threads ..

Peace ..

top topics

join